Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2010
I purchased this product and needed to get some assistance with saving the converted images from negatives. I emailed their "support" address at support@ithomeproducts.com three times in a week for help. After a week and not receiving an email back, I decided to call their help line to try and get the issue resolved. Once on the phone with a rep, he was very short and completely oblivious towards the situation and lack of response via email. He didn't apologize at all for the inconvenience but ask for the model number twice (apparently he wasn't listening the first time) and needed my full name, email address and additional information before he was able to answer my question. I ended the conversation more aggravated than before the call. I thought my question was fairly simply and the problem easily solved, but this company isn't concerned about customer satisfaction. As far as the actual product goes, it is a fairly inexpensive model and so you get what you pay for. If you need to convert negatives to .jpg format to reprint, the quality isn't that great. In all honesty, maybe the photos would print clearer if the pic was saved, but I wouldn't know. Good luck if you purchase this, hopefully you won't need company support. I returned the item and will not purchase from this company in the future.
22 comments110 of 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2010
I concur that Kohl's should not carry this product. I bought one on Black Friday to create saved pictures from my negatvies and photos for my three daughters of their childhood. I worked with in on my VISTA for about 2 hours, was able to install to a working program after three re-boots and two installs. I even got my negatives to scan, although a little pinkish. I never got to see them open as the "tool" kept sticking and in the end, would not save my images. I had to close it twice to unstick it and lost my work. I'm done... it's going back to Kohl's and I will do my homework on negative scanners before I buy again. It was a nice idea... but a complete waste of my precious day off. I hope no one bought this as a gift for someone for Christmas, it would be a huge disappointment!
Innovative Technology The Ultimate Film and Negative Scanner (ITNS-500)
22 comments66 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2010
I followed the instructions for installing the scanner, and the software couldn't find the device. I tried an updated driver, but no luck. I then followed the instructions which said "To avoid further conflicts of the driver software, please also disable or install other image device such as Webcam, Digital Still Camera or Traditional Scanner in the device manager from your OS." (Obviously they didn't take the time to have someone correct the English, but I've seen worse.) Yes, that's right; they assume you only want one image device, theirs, on your PC. If I had to resort to that alone, it would go back to the store! I obliged to see what would happen, and I uninstalled the web cam. It still couldn't find the scanner, so it's going back to the store. I've had a lot of experience with computer hardware, and I realize that sometimes devices have installation problems, but my one-star rating is due mostly to the text about disabling other devices. This is just laziness.
0Comment55 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2012
I bought this at Walmart. It was obviously a return. But all the parts were there and the price was ridiculously low? What did I have to lose?

A lot of reviews have commented on the difficulty people had loading the software. Same was true with my experience. I would recommend people just go to the support site and download the new drivers right away. But after a couple tries and after removing the drivers distributed with the product, I downloaded the updated drivers from the support site and the machine was installed.

It works well. I tried scanning some slide and it was ok. Bit disappointed with resolution but it was acceptable. Colors were fine. I really wanted it to scan some old pictures of my dad's. They were b&w images he took during WW II. The are lots of them. The scanner did them very fast. The resolution is very good. It took only a few seconds to scan each image.

If this unit continues to work as well as it did this first day I expect my scanning project to move along very nicely. Well worth the price they ask for in time saved. This unit scans small pictures much faster than my HP flatbed scanner.
44 comments32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
I bought this scanner at Kohl's because I wanted something that would scan photos and not just negatives/slides. I inserted the CD-ROM and installed the software for the device. When I tried to open the device to use it, I received an error message of "Camera Not Found! Contact Manufacturer." I followed all of the instructions several times: uninstalled program, disabled other imaging devices, even went to I.T.'s website and installed an updated driver SEVERAL TIMES. Each time, I received the same error message. Finally, after about an hour of struggling, I let Windows go out and attempt to find the driver for this piece of junk. It was successful. Now to scan photos...absolutely disappointing. The image qualitiy is poor, and the photos get stuck inside of the machine when you try to pull the tray out. I even used the business card glass, and it was worse! The glass AND card got stuck inside the machine, and the image was awful with scratches everywhere. The glass (which is more like plexiglass) became severely scratched. Save your money and buy something that actually works.
0Comment36 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2010
This product crashed my Vista OS repeatedly. I tried using it on another computer using Windows 7 and it worked but the image quality was terrible, seriously over exposed and extremely poor color. Everything had a deep blue tint. The calibration sheet was not included.I tried to get support, but no one was available on the weekend. I will try to return this to the store and recommend that Kohl's not carry this product. I wouldn't even give this 1 star.
11 comment30 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
The installation went very smoothly on Windows 7. No need to reboot. Admittedly, the instuctions were not comforting. My new system hasn't had any scanner installed previously or any device for that matter so I think that helped. The instructions warn you to uninstall other scanners. The images were viewed, saved then rotated all with ease. It wasn't totally obvious how to use the machine because the toggle for slides/negatives vs prints is a piece of hardware however the manual explained it plainly. I didn't look at the quick start guide, just the instruction manual.

The issue is the loss of color from both slides and photos. I didn't try negatives.

The landscape photos was cropped on both the left and right hand sides. If it was only on one side then I would have repositioned the photo but it was both sides so there wasn't a way to try to reduce the cropping.

The manual indicated that the calibration is to adjust focus. Since both of the distances are fixed I don't know why we would want the calibration. Also it says to "insert the calibration film/sheet" but there wasn't any that I can find. Again, it took pictures in focus just fine until I played with the calibration. I was hoping to get more accurate colors but on pg 28 of the instruction manual it says that both the exposure control and color balance are "automatic".

OK.. really going to give up and return now.
on December 25, 2010
I agree with all the (1's). My wife got this for a Christmas present for me. It didn't take long (what time it did take was a waste of my time), before having problems. I scanned a picture that was so bad I put it in my all-in-one Epson 835 and did a much better scan. What she really got it for me for was a lot of slides that I have from the 60's and 70's. When I scanned a slide it would momentarily show me the correct color before it went to what appeared to be basically b&w. I tried to reinstall and rebooted and ended up not being able to see a slide when I had a slide inserted. I had thought about tech support, but decided to look for some reviews. Upon reading the reviews, I have it packed less than 24 hours after opening it and it will go back to Kohl's along with many others I suspect.
on December 22, 2010
I must concur with the other reviews. I too purchased mine at Kohl's and just got it loaded yesterday. After 2 blue screen crashes, I remembered a sheet about "conflict of software". Ok, I went and disabled my "all-in-one" and my logitech camera. I got it to work and was able to actually scan a few negatives. It was really very quick with that. The color was off, but I thought maybe it was just my old negatives and I corrected it in my photo editing software.

However, I could only do like one or two pictures at a time, and then I would get the blue screen crash again. I kept trying to find if there were other drivers that were still on, but none that I could find. After a few hours of this & only about 8 pictures retrieved, I decided to look for some reviews on this item. And, so here we are.

I'm packing it up and it's going back to the store tomorrow. I know there are other brands out there -- I will research first and try another. It's a great idea if it will work. One negative I did retrieve was my husband about 14 or 15 years old!! Very cool!
11 comment13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2010
This is the worst product I have ever used. It works for about 3 seconds after HOURS of trying to install. Please DO NOT buy unless you want to completely waste your entire day!
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse