4.0 out of 5 stars Fast read and kept me interested right to the end
Published on June 11, 2012 by Stell

2.0 out of 5 stars Editing lacking--English teachers beware.
Published 4 months ago by OE-Runwita

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast read and kept me interested right to the end, June 11, 2012
This review is from: An Inquisition of Demons (a medieval fantasy mystery) (Kindle Edition)
As a teen I read a lot of teen Sci Fi, aliens similar yet different to humans, travel between worlds in ways that humans had not conceived yet. Aliens who were knowledgeable and patient, and befriended humans, helping them on their way. I suspect Gordon may have spend his youth reading the same stuff, I notice my now 12 year old son reads similar stuff. The world goes on and everythhing changes and yet nothing changes.
Gordon's first published book is at once familiar and yet new and intriguing, and with slightly more adult themes than teen sci Fi, by adult I don't mean sex and stuff ... It is more intelligent than that. . Gordon mixes history and fantasy in a way that triggers memories of learning about things, or hearing about things, or knowing about things. Beyond that the references are overt - which is rather nice in these days of dark and twisted serial murder series. There is a murder, the books starts with that, and someone is in the wrong place at the right time. after that the story gets interesting in ways that are not predictable ... I enjoyed this and look forward to reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than what I paid for, May 17, 2012
This is a very satisfying book to read. It leads with a murdered demon, wends its way through politics, religious argument, metaphysics, castle invasion, and ends with a cannon smash of enlightement and excitement, followed up with a thought provoking and hopeful future.

These all sound like heavy topics but Reid handles them deftly - he balances the mental gymnastics needed for political intrigue with sharp humor and the potentially sticky metaphysics with sophistication and grace.

I found myself drawn in by the intelligent characters and then couldn't stop reading because the plot pulled me in.

In a funny way, my favorite part of the story is what the author doesn't much mention - this part of European history is filled with tangled bloodlines, vicious wars, and chaos. Reid keeps the story close, though, focusing on the few short days Matthew Fenton spends in Calais and the new people he meets while trying to do his job.

All in all, this book was more than worth the money and I can't wait to see what Reid comes out with next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Engaging, June 9, 2012
I had been thoroughly enjoying Gordon Reid's blog for years; his writing style and unique perspective are entertaining, intelligent and thoughtful. When I learned that Mr. Reid had published his first novel, I rushed to download and read it. It thoroughly lived up to my expectations.

The story is original and intriguing. Reid turns our stereotypical idea of demons on its head and gives us a glimpse of an unusual, yet plausible world. The plot moves along at just the right pace, peppered with philosophy but not to the extent that we feel beaten over the head with it. At times, the imagery is quite poetic, but again, in just the right quantities.

Characters are well defined and thoroughly believable in their context, though the author assumes a knowledge of English history that may not spring readily to the reader's mind. That is easily remedied by a practiced Googlite, and henceforth one can be assured that he is envisioning the correct Henry (for example).

Reid does not make the signature mistakes of which many amateur authors are guilty. His prose flows without the interjection of needless adjectives; his similes and metaphors do not suffer from triteness or banality and often elicit a smile.

My initial impression of the book was tainted by the fact that for months I have been listening to my husband read George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice aloud to me in the evenings. Both Martin's books and Reid's are set in medieval times. I was used to the sound of medieval language according to Martin; in contrast, Reid's style of writing about the middle ages in a modern voice took me by surprise. I wasn't sure I could get used to it, but by the end of the first few pages I was so engrossed in the story that I seldom thought about it, other than a few times when I was momentarily taken aback by what might have either been anachronisms or simply modern language used in ancient times.

It was refreshing to find that Reid did not play tricks on his readers, that the plot had a beginning, a middle and an end and that protagonists and antagonists were as clearly defined as the plot allowed at any moment.

In short, I heartily enjoyed this novel and thoroughly recommend it. I look forward to many more from Gordon Reid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Editing lacking--English teachers beware., August 16, 2014
While I liked the concept of the book when I ordered it, I found the writing and plotting difficult. Too many errors in copy editing and other editing practices that were distracting to a retired English teacher. And the plotting dragged. There were many times I wanted to walk away, but I just don't have a problem doing that. The only book I can remember shelving was Michener's Centennial when it first came out because of the endless cataloging of critters at the beginning (I had read all his books until then).

It begs the question: Is Black Joke Press a vanity press, a.k.a. self-publishing press?. because I can't find it on the web. I do wish Amazon would label these kinds of books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and enjoyable mystery-fantasy, February 9, 2014
Intriguing - well written - entertaining twists of phrase, well done on descriptive language unlike pretty much anything I've read lately. Very enjoyable story. Enough history woven in that I found myself stopping to look up all sorts of things. (That is a plus, by the way). Philosophy, politics, multiverse, religion, demons and magic and alchemy, romance, adventure, history, whodunit. Hard to really nail this one to a single wall.

3.0 out of 5 stars History/Fantasy, October 2, 2013
Amazon Customer (San Diego,CA USA) - See all my reviews
I really wanted this book to be wonderful. I like the idea of crossing history with fantasy. But for people unfamiliar with the time period (15th century, soon after the end of the 100 Years War,and during the events that would lead to war between York and Lancaster), I think there needed to be more history to anchor the fantasy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 8, 2013
Excellent story telling. Made me think of a cross between the Sebastian St. Cyr historical fictions and the Bartimeus trilogy, about a magician and his "demon". Would love to read more with these characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars And now for something completely different...., February 18, 2013
If you get that Monty Python reference, then you're probably the kind of person who would enjoy An Inquisition of Demons. This is an off the wall novel in which demons are just beings from another world - although what that world is, you'll have to read the book to figure out. This is a fantasy so suspend belief as you read and you'll enjoy the book as much as I did. There's murder, espionage, torture, mystery, romance, and lots of humor. A little bit of everything. I plan to read more from this author. If you're looking for a change of pace and you like novels set in the Medieval ages, this is a book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whodunit in an unusual format., April 27, 2013
This ws a very interesting read. Parallel universes and concurrent non human inhabitants. It was engrossing and I had not expected that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the read but was somewhat unconnected to the story., December 19, 2012
The mix of fantasy and historical fiction is potentially 'fantastic' but somehow the use of language and the way the story is told, couldn't convince entirely.
Good read otherwise and the mystery alone is sufficient enticement to keep reading. In all: worth it.