5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for preschool
I purchase these every year for my preschool class.
Tips:
1. You do need a habitat for them after they are in their chrysalises. Many habitats come with a certificate for live larvae. This product is just the larvae (caterpillars). It comes with a cup with food in it for them until the make their chrysalis.
2. Once they make their chrysalis, you need...
Published on April 14, 2011 by A. Nelson

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly packaged Caterpillars arrived dead
I ordered this for an 8yr old's birthday. She was so excited when this thing showed up at the door.

1. First thing I noticed when this showed up is that it was sent pre paid first class mail; no upgraded shipping. Not even Priority Mail.
2. Second thing I noticed was that the box was warm. It was July. In Phoenix, AZ.
2. The mailman handed this...
Published on July 22, 2011 by J. Samuel

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for preschool, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
I purchase these every year for my preschool class.
Tips:
2. Once they make their chrysalis, you need to move them to the actual habitat, which is usually a pop up house made from a netting material. The easiest thing to do is just take the lid from the cup that this comes with (since they attach themselves to the lid) and hook it into your habitat. The dried food (and poop) is disgusting, but by just moving the lid, you don't need to touch the disgusting part.
3. It usually takes them 2-3 weeks to turn into a butterfly.
4. It comes with several caterpillars because they don't all survive. Although I've never had all of the five caterpillars turn into butterflies, I've always had at least three butterflies in the end. Typically, I end up with four of them.
5. Insectlore.com offers the larvae AND pop-up habitat for $14.99 plus shipping as of 4/14/11.

5.0 out of 5 stars best birthday gift EVER, October 14, 2010
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
We ordered this through amazon instead of the insect lore website so that we could get free/fast shipping. They actually arrived very quickly, a day before their habitat did. UPS just left them sitting on my door step but they were fine. We got 5 live caterpillars and 4 made it to be butterflies! We are very pleased with the experience, my 7yr old was in heaven:) FYI getting the chrysalises into the habitat was pretty gross.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning experience!, June 29, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
A friend of ours had given us their old butterfly habitat, all we needed to do was order some larvae. I found that Amazon had a decent price on them so we placed the order. They arrived a few days later and the kids were so excited. We took photos everyday to document their growth. It was surprising to see how quickly they grew! Within a couple of weeks they were ready to be placed in the habitat. Another week or so later we were pleasantly surprised to see that ALL five larvae had been transformed into beautiful painted lady butterflies! Overall a great product and the kid's really enjoyed watching the process from start to finish. Great learning experience!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly packaged Caterpillars arrived dead, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)

2. The mailman handed this package to me at my front door; it did not sit in my mailbox for even a minute.
3. It came in an uninsulated cardboard Box, with no cold pack, no styrofoam beads, nothing. Just plastic cups inside a bare cardboard box.

To summarize: Insect lore mailed this to Phoenix Arizona. By first class mail. With no cool pack. In an un-insulated box. In July.
Needless to say, all the larvae were dead on arrival.

I called Insect Lore to report this. The reply I got was "We do not ship to Arizona until September". I replied, "What are you talking about? I just ordered on your web site from the certificate I got inside the Butterly Bungalow kit, and I am now holding 2 cups of dead insects?". The reply was "Oh you ordered on the internet? Thats why!". It is MY fault for ordering on their web site, just like the instructions on the certificate says I should?!!
The box was mailed from CA (next door state to AZ)on July 14, and it got to Phoenix on the 21st!! One week, in AZ heat, in an uninsulated box!!
I accepted a replacement certificate as compensation, which I hope to receive in the next few days. But that is not the point. The point is that their web site's shipping system is defective, they are killing these animals needlessly and the little girl was terribly dissappointed to receive her butterflys dead. They KNOW that ther web site does not make exceptions for extreme weather. Why don't they fix it, then?
Any company that handles live animals, especially ones that are sold as pets to liitle children, should be more responsible than this company is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Go through the company...not Amazon, October 15, 2012
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
Last Spring I bought the whole Butterfly kit from Insect Lore with a Groupon I had purchased. We enjoyed watching the caterpillars move around and spin silk, turn into a chrysalis and ultimately become beautiful butterflies. My daughter was so sad to let them go. Recently my kindergartener has been learning about metamorphosis and so I thought it would be fun to do it again with more understanding than before. When we received the package, there was a single caterpillar in the jar, not the three to five that are promised in the product description. After about a week or so, it stopped moving and I realized it was dead. I followed all the directions and like I said, we did this previously and all the caterpillars had all turned into butterflies, so I kind of knew what I was doing. It was the biggest waste of $16! DO NOT BUY!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
All five caterpillars were DEAD when we opened the package. You should see our son's face... And we live in the same state where they produce this larvae - CA... WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, May 17, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
My son's preschool did this with heavy involvement with the kids. It made a great lesson and beautiful pictures of the kids holding them. So I wanted our family to do this with the class but at home. So I ordered this. It was alot of fun. I wish I ordered the pavilion too. To house them!!! I borrowed the one from his preschool. I'd do it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Info for buyers new to Insect Lore Butterfly Garden/Culture, August 21, 2011
HeatherRN "Heather & Stephen" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
Oops, I purchased this in the wrong order, so I wanted to clarify the process for anyone who isn't sure what to get in order to watch the painted lady butterfly lifecycle. This product is the butterfly culture only, you will need to get a habitat. If you purchase the habitat first, it comes with the information you need to order a culture of 5 catepillars for $3. It has a unique coupon code so this will only work once. We enjoyed our butterflies and will likely order more, so no harm was done ordering this butterfly culture first, but I didn't realize there was another way to do it. If you note previous reviews mention purchasing this for a classroom or because they wanted the super fast prime shipping, but if this is your first whack at this go ahead get the habitat (Insect Lore Live Butterfly Garden or Insect Lore Butterfly Bungalow we have both and like them both) and then cash in your $3 butterfly culture. Just FYI, we got 4 butterflies from the 5 caterpillars and the one that didn't make it fell while making its chrysalis. Another note, it is best to purchase these when it is warm outside and inside, our butteflies took 14 days (instead of the 7-10 mentioned) to emerge from their cocoons and I think it may have been since it is a bit cool in our homes in San Francisco, CA. Also, we released them into our yard on a cool day and I really wonder if they survived. Next time I get them I will be sure to plan for our rare warm weather. Have fun! It is so exciting to watch (although I missed the big transformations), I think I had more fun then my kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Painted Lady Butterflies, May 20, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
My daughter loved watch the life cycle. From lavae to butterfies. The adult butterflies laid eggs and now we are on the second generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Great!, August 20, 2011
This review is from: Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture (Toy)
My son loves watching the process. He looks at them everyday to see if there have been any changes. They are still in the first stage. I enjoy this as well.

Insect Lore Live Butterfly Culture