Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Style Name: 1 Live Cup of Caterpillars|Change

on April 14, 2011
I purchase these every year for my preschool class.
Tips:
1. You do need a habitat for them after they are in their chrysalises. Many habitats come with a certificate for live larvae. This product is just the larvae (caterpillars). It comes with a cup with food in it for them until the make their chrysalis.
2. Once they make their chrysalis, you need to move them to the actual habitat, which is usually a pop up house made from a netting material. The easiest thing to do is just take the lid from the cup that this comes with (since they attach themselves to the lid) and hook it into your habitat. The dried food (and poop) is disgusting, but by just moving the lid, you don't need to touch the disgusting part.
3. It usually takes them 2-3 weeks to turn into a butterfly.
4. It comes with several caterpillars because they don't all survive. Although I've never had all of the five caterpillars turn into butterflies, I've always had at least three butterflies in the end. Typically, I end up with four of them.
5. Insectlore.com offers the larvae AND pop-up habitat for $14.99 plus shipping as of 4/14/11.
22 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2010
We ordered this through amazon instead of the insect lore website so that we could get free/fast shipping. They actually arrived very quickly, a day before their habitat did. UPS just left them sitting on my door step but they were fine. We got 5 live caterpillars and 4 made it to be butterflies! We are very pleased with the experience, my 7yr old was in heaven:) FYI getting the chrysalises into the habitat was pretty gross.
66 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2015
We LOVED the caterpillar to butterfly project! My 3 year old grand-daughter watched in amazement as the tiny caterpillars transformed over about 3 weeks into butterflies. We got lucky and received 6. (I think it is supposed to be 5/cup.) All 6 matured into beautiful butterflies. Mya learned what a chrysalis is. She gently took each butterfly out of the butterfly enclosure to set it free. The butterfly enclosure was purchased on Amazon & it is collapsible. A WONDERFUL project for grandparents, parents, schools...anyone!!! Note - Read & Follow the directions and everything will work fine. We were worried that our caterpillars needed more air or food, but we left the lid on the cup as instructed. Don't put a cup of water in the butterfly habitat, as the baby butterflies can fall into it & drown...use the dropper provided & sprinkle sugar water over fruit & flowers. They will gobble it up! Amazing to watch. :)
on June 29, 2011
A friend of ours had given us their old butterfly habitat, all we needed to do was order some larvae. I found that Amazon had a decent price on them so we placed the order. They arrived a few days later and the kids were so excited. We took photos everyday to document their growth. It was surprising to see how quickly they grew! Within a couple of weeks they were ready to be placed in the habitat. Another week or so later we were pleasantly surprised to see that ALL five larvae had been transformed into beautiful painted lady butterflies! Overall a great product and the kid's really enjoyed watching the process from start to finish. Great learning experience!
on December 30, 2011
I received our caterpillars promptly and all alive. There are five. When they arrived they were tiny and very still....just like the instruction pamphlet said they'd be but just over a few days they doubled in size...and now they are almost as long as the container height. My girls are all excited...they are 3 years and 4 years old. As the caterpillars have grown I've thought the girls about what the caterpillars really eat, taken nature walks outside and we are anxiously waiting for our caterpillars to cocoon. I'm adding photos and will update soon :)
review image review image review image
on April 20, 2015
Bought these for my kids for Easter. It was so much fun to watch the transformation! We received 5 caterpillars in each container (we bought 2 containers, so 10 caterpillars total) and every one of them emerged as a butterfly! I'd recommend this to anyone, and we'll probably do it again next year. Easy to take care of, easy "maintenance". Just a little bit gross removing the chrysalis' from the container, as you have to peel away poop and silks. One little tip: we didn't purchase the specially marketed butterfly habitat from this company, we used 2 Ikea pop up hampers for $5 each.
review image review image review image
on January 21, 2016
Watching these dudes morph into butterflies is one of the funnest and most interesting things that I have done with my daughter. It is amazing how long we will sit watching these guys make their cocoons. This is the third batch of caterpillars that we have ordered. Every batch of them has been 100 % alive. The first batch all made their cocoons but one of them fell and never hatched. The second batch hatched all five and the third just arrive to us (all caterpillars alive). I have no doubt that some people have not been so lucky. However, such is the story of life. I highly recommend growing your own butterfly garden. It is a great learning experience for kiddos!
on July 22, 2011
I ordered this for an 8yr old's birthday. She was so excited when this thing showed up at the door.

1. First thing I noticed when this showed up is that it was sent pre paid first class mail; no upgraded shipping. Not even Priority Mail.
2. Second thing I noticed was that the box was warm. It was July. In Phoenix, AZ.
2. The mailman handed this package to me at my front door; it did not sit in my mailbox for even a minute.
3. It came in an uninsulated cardboard Box, with no cold pack, no styrofoam beads, nothing. Just plastic cups inside a bare cardboard box.

To summarize: Insect lore mailed this to Phoenix Arizona. By first class mail. With no cool pack. In an un-insulated box. In July.
Needless to say, all the larvae were dead on arrival.

I called Insect Lore to report this. The reply I got was "We do not ship to Arizona until September". I replied, "What are you talking about? I just ordered on your web site from the certificate I got inside the Butterly Bungalow kit, and I am now holding 2 cups of dead insects?". The reply was "Oh you ordered on the internet? Thats why!". It is MY fault for ordering on their web site, just like the instructions on the certificate says I should?!!
The box was mailed from CA (next door state to AZ)on July 14, and it got to Phoenix on the 21st!! One week, in AZ heat, in an uninsulated box!!
I accepted a replacement certificate as compensation, which I hope to receive in the next few days. But that is not the point. The point is that their web site's shipping system is defective, they are killing these animals needlessly and the little girl was terribly dissappointed to receive her butterflys dead. They KNOW that ther web site does not make exceptions for extreme weather. Why don't they fix it, then?
Any company that handles live animals, especially ones that are sold as pets to liitle children, should be more responsible than this company is.
88 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2011
We bought the insectlore kit and didn't want to wait to mail order so I got my extra butterflies this way. They came very fast and in tact and were easy to care for--simply do nothing until they become a chrysalis. Ok, it took me a little while to get a paperclip contraption set up to hook it and some of the paper had deteriorated which made me nervous but all five of these guys are now beautiful butterflies. Unfortunately despite planting a buttefly bush not one stuck around my yard. Oh well, it was fun and my son was so excited. We are on our second batch and will be out collecting flowers to make them "butterfly salad". A great activity!
on March 14, 2016
This is the third year that I have done this with my grandchildren.We enjoy doing this together I like the bug lore products the best last year I ordered from a different company and was disappointed they were not as good as the bug lore caterpillars we had some that emereged deformed So this year I wasnt taking chances I ordered from bug lore the first year all ten of our butterflys lived so I ordered them from bug lore and cant wait to watch them grow