5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, a great collectors edition
STANDARD EDITION REVIEW

Published on November 13, 2012 by Graham Swearingen

2.0 out of 5 stars attractive but ultimately empty
Having fallen in love with Game of Thrones (after just having discovered it, I downloaded and viewed all twenty episodes in two days--and then read the first of Martin's books), I was beyond excited to receive this handsome volume, bedecked with five user-granted stars, as it were.

I don't see how the book deserves five stars. It is attractive, and it has...
Published on October 21, 2012 by Bruce D. Wilner

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, a great collectors edition, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition (Hardcover)
STANDARD EDITION REVIEW

While I understand people being upset about the collectors edition they're putting out for this book early next month ($90 here on Amazon) and the exclusion of Direwolves, that for me doesn't detract from the greatness of this book. The hardcover is clean and intricate, the page layout is beautiful and it's a good sized book. The amount of depth and details are great, the pictures pop with color and detail and it's a great book to add to my collection. For the price, the content and the look, it's a great book for any fan of Game Of Thrones to get and I highly recommend it to any fan of the series. I got this with the A Feast Of Ice And Fire Cookbook and it's a great companion to have with that book as well.

UPDATE: COLLECTOR'S EDITION REVIEW

*The clamshell it comes in is very nice. The foil stamp is shiny gold and the clamshell itself is heavy and a burgundy leather like case. The Game Of Thrones gold foil stamp is immaculate and printed to perfection with no chips or imperfections and seems well made. It opens and closes easily, seems to be pretty nice quality. It is not wood but a high quality cardboard.
*The storyboard booklet is also hardcover and 192 pages. Some with color, some without. Pretty standard but it's nice to see scenes storyboarded that were ultimately omitted from their respective episodes. It opens and closes with a ribbon that ties.
*Two maps, 11" x 22" printed on acid free paper. Not quite parchment, but still pretty nice. Worth framing and not tacking to a wall. If you lay something heavy on them for a few weeks, you'll be able to get the curve out of the maps incase you do want to hang or frame them. I will keep mine in the clamshell. The detail and print is really great.

Winter is indeed coming. I had purchased the standard edition for a friend as a gift and paged through it. I like that it covers season 1 and season 2, as I thought it might only cover the first season. I liked it so much I wanted to get a copy for just myself, but I wanted this collector's edition. Amazon just dropped the price form $90 to $60, well worth the price of an additional $40 above the standard edition price to get the maps of Essos and Westeros, the storyboards and the clamshell. Also, I should note that the book itself as well as the storyboard book sit in the clamshell on top of each other and fit in it tightly, so it is a bit hard to get them out. Which is better than fitting too loosely which would result in dinged book edges and corners. There is a ribbon attached in the case to use as pull tab to get out the books. Not to mention the face plate signed by Bryan Cogman (NOTE, this is only for the first 200 pre-orders, all others will not come with a singed faceplate) who has now written an episode for each the first and second season. This is a must for any fan of the show and any fan of collecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Book, September 27, 2012
This book is gorgeous and is an excellent companion to the TV series. It's full of beautiful full and double page pictures from the show. There are interesting tidbits about set design, filming locations, concept art for locations and costumes and it features interviews with the cast, the costume designers, the directors, all sorts of folks involved in bringing the world of Westeros to life.

I was surprised by the quality - this is a nice book. It has a sturdy, embellished cover and the pages are thick. This isn't a flimsy, over-sized paperback, it's a real quality book. Honestly, it's much higher quality than I expected it to be. I was quite pleasantly surprised. I think I'm going to order a second copy as a Christmas gift for a friend.

Hardcore fans may want to wait for the collector's edition box set (pre-order for $150 through the HBO store) which contains this book, two maps, an artist's portfolio(book) of additional storyboard art (including deleted and alternate scenes), and a signed book plate (by this book's author, Bryan Cogman, not Martin). Does it sound awesome? Yes. But, if you don't have $150 to spare picking up this book for $26 is great deal here on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for fans, but the "collector's version" is coming, September 27, 2012
So a few days ago HBO released this book, which is a gorgeous 193 page look into the world of Westeros and how HBO brought everything together. It has a great intro by the author of the books and a TON of amazing photos of the show with a great ammount of detail on the characters and actors.

There are 2 things that make this a 4 and not a 5:

1) HBO just announced yesterday (conveniently the day these were arriving at homes) that they will be releasing a delux version featuring the book, maps of westeros on scroll paper, and another huge book with storyboards and renderings and artwork. Obviously since it's through HBO's website it will be expensive (this book alone is over $60 through them after shipping and tax) so I think this version is perfect for fans.

2) The blurays of the show (dont know about the dvds but i think the same info applies) have an amazing special feature that gives an illustrated history of westeros, showing all the events that led to the beginning of the books. Probably one of the best special features I've ever seen. It also has hours of footage for behind the scenes...so if you have that, you'll see that this book is more a companion coffee table styled fan collectible rather than some exclusive never before scene item.

In summary, the book is gorgeous...its super detailed, soft to the touch, the photos are great, the info is all there (save for the Direwolves, as others have mentioned)....if you are a die-hard fan, you should wait for the delux version, but if you just want some more GoT stuff around you and a really cool addition to your collection, this will suffice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where are the direwolves?, September 26, 2012
I would have given this five stars but there was no info on the direwolves, just one photo of Lady with Sansa. I was really interested in how they trained the dogs/wolves and what CGI they used for scale. With that aside, I'm happy with it and would recommend it to fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars The maps alone are almost worth the price, November 14, 2012
Wulfstan "wulfstan" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Ok, this book/set is very expensive. And, it is geared more to the watchers of the HBO series than the readers of the books (not that us readers won't enjoy it, still). There's also a bonus storyboard here.

But those glorious FULL maps!!! Badly needed, for readers or viewers. Unsurpassed.

Really high quality through-out. But pretty pricey even so.

Perfect for a gift, but once you see the maps you won't want to give it away!

2.0 out of 5 stars attractive but ultimately empty, October 21, 2012

I don't see how the book deserves five stars. It is attractive, and it has lovely pictures, but that's about as far as it goes. I really don't need a rehash of all the characters and their personality traits (I can discern all that from the series) or the occasional, brief interview with some actor who plays a relatively minor character (e.g., Samwell Tarly or Benjen Stark). I was looking for much more information about how the series was created; how the special effects are implemented; how maximum advantage is taken of the available shooting locations; how CGI and replication is used (e.g., does the Dothraki khalasar actually consist of, say, images of only eight horses and riders that are automatically replicated to form a line of horsemen stretching to the horizon?); and something (more than a handful of pages!) on the high-jinks and behind-the-scenes badinage.

By way of comparison, if you are a Narnia fan (I loved the first movie but was sorely disappointed by the second and rather disappointed by the third), and you take a look at "The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Official Illustrated Movie Companion" by Perry Moore, you find all of the elements that I found starkly and shockingly absent from this putative "companion volume" to HBO's "Game of Thrones."

Sorry, but I do not expect 95% of a companion volume to be a rehash of what I already know from watching the series. "Game of Thrones" fans, I would pass on this one, if I were you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect---almost, February 26, 2013
I am a HUGE Game of Thrones fan and the HBO series just adds a new aspect to my obsession. It was heavier than I expected - definitely not like some other cheaply made collector edition items that I've gotten for other things. The box gives you the feeling of having something special!

My only complaint is with the leather bound book. It seems as if the darker inks were not allowed sufficient drying time. In my lovely leather bound book, pages that are basically text on white pages are fine, but anything that has a larger picture in the lower center of the book are stuck together. I tried to gently pry apart two of these pages, but it definitely feels like the ink just wasn't dry and the pages peeled apart onto each other. Flipping through the book, it does appear that ALL the darker pages are stuck together along the bottom 2 inches from center of the bind. From what I can see, the pictures are beautiful, and I love the information on things like where the costuming ideas came from, etc. I'd be interested to know if this is just with my particular book or if there are more out there with this issue.

The storyboard book, other than a bit of wrinkling on the inner paper cover, was in perfect condition. I've always been a bit jealous of people who can draw and have other people understand what they were making a picture of so it is very interesting to me.

The maps are basically paper. With the leather cover of the picture book, I guess I expected a little more weight to the maps. It may be worth laminating them for longer life.

If you are a Game of Thrones fan like me, you'll love this collector's edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Bluray, November 25, 2012
I'm seriously disappointed in this book. The book production value is nice but the material is vapid content even mildly interested fans of the show would know about. When the title is called Inside HBO's Game of Thrones I was expecting extensive, or at least new, behind the scenes/making of coverage. Interviews with the cast and producers. Extras about the sets, props, locations, etc. that would otherwise not be covered. Instead I get basic character profiles, still photos, anemic interviews, and close to little coverage of the special effects and production efforts. Entire art departments with work that could've filled the entire book were reduced to a page or two. I seriously can't stress how empty in content this book feels. This book feels more like a promotional booklet you'd get for free at a convention or something expanded into a book than something that gives fans an insight into the making of the series.

If you have or haven't gotten the bluray volume of the series, it covers everything in this book (except for some season 2 material which will likely be covered in the season 2 bluray volume set), and provides more. More behind the scenes material. More on the locations, the digital effects, the wardrobe, the actor's thoughts, the producers experience, the author's experience, the dothraki language, the making of the cultures, the backstory of the families and kingdom. And you'll have the series itself.

If you want to see what a well done version of what these books should be like look at any of the Art of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pixar movies, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of Thrones Collector's Edition, December 15, 2012
This is a must have for any Game of Thrones fan. It is magnificant and very detailed. I highly recommend it if you are a serious player in the Game.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great item for fans of the series. Wish I had a better copy., December 15, 2012
While this is a great item, the gold leaf on the copy I received was poorly done. Nearly 90% of the pages were stuck together and required me to go through each page to peel them apart. This left a mark at the bottom of nearly every page that while it isn't too noticeable, is still not something you expect on an item at this cost. Amazon was out of stock when I received mine so I was unable to request a replacement.

That being said, the content and presentation otherwise is very nice as stated in the other reviews.

Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition
Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - November 13, 2012)
$150.00 $90.00