5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, a great collectors edition
STANDARD EDITION REVIEW

Published 21 months ago by Graham Swearingen

Published 20 months ago by RoseRE

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, a great collectors edition, November 13, 2012
This review is from: Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition (Hardcover)
STANDARD EDITION REVIEW

While I understand people being upset about the collectors edition they're putting out for this book early next month ($90 here on Amazon) and the exclusion of Direwolves, that for me doesn't detract from the greatness of this book. The hardcover is clean and intricate, the page layout is beautiful and it's a good sized book. The amount of depth and details are great, the pictures pop with color and detail and it's a great book to add to my collection. For the price, the content and the look, it's a great book for any fan of Game Of Thrones to get and I highly recommend it to any fan of the series. I got this with the A Feast Of Ice And Fire Cookbook and it's a great companion to have with that book as well.

UPDATE: COLLECTOR'S EDITION REVIEW

*The clamshell it comes in is very nice. The foil stamp is shiny gold and the clamshell itself is heavy and a burgundy leather like case. The Game Of Thrones gold foil stamp is immaculate and printed to perfection with no chips or imperfections and seems well made. It opens and closes easily, seems to be pretty nice quality. It is not wood but a high quality cardboard.
*The storyboard booklet is also hardcover and 192 pages. Some with color, some without. Pretty standard but it's nice to see scenes storyboarded that were ultimately omitted from their respective episodes. It opens and closes with a ribbon that ties.
*Two maps, 11" x 22" printed on acid free paper. Not quite parchment, but still pretty nice. Worth framing and not tacking to a wall. If you lay something heavy on them for a few weeks, you'll be able to get the curve out of the maps incase you do want to hang or frame them. I will keep mine in the clamshell. The detail and print is really great.

Winter is indeed coming. I had purchased the standard edition for a friend as a gift and paged through it. I like that it covers season 1 and season 2, as I thought it might only cover the first season. I liked it so much I wanted to get a copy for just myself, but I wanted this collector's edition. Amazon just dropped the price form $90 to $60, well worth the price of an additional $40 above the standard edition price to get the maps of Essos and Westeros, the storyboards and the clamshell. Also, I should note that the book itself as well as the storyboard book sit in the clamshell on top of each other and fit in it tightly, so it is a bit hard to get them out. Which is better than fitting too loosely which would result in dinged book edges and corners. There is a ribbon attached in the case to use as pull tab to get out the books. Not to mention the face plate signed by Bryan Cogman (NOTE, this is only for the first 200 pre-orders, all others will not come with a singed faceplate) who has now written an episode for each the first and second season. This is a must for any fan of the show and any fan of collecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars The maps alone are almost worth the price, November 14, 2012
Wulfstan "wulfstan" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Ok, this book/set is very expensive. And, it is geared more to the watchers of the HBO series than the readers of the books (not that us readers won't enjoy it, still). There's also a bonus storyboard here.

But those glorious FULL maps!!! Badly needed, for readers or viewers. Unsurpassed.

Really high quality through-out. But pretty pricey even so.

Perfect for a gift, but once you see the maps you won't want to give it away!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect---almost, February 26, 2013
I am a HUGE Game of Thrones fan and the HBO series just adds a new aspect to my obsession. It was heavier than I expected - definitely not like some other cheaply made collector edition items that I've gotten for other things. The box gives you the feeling of having something special!

My only complaint is with the leather bound book. It seems as if the darker inks were not allowed sufficient drying time. In my lovely leather bound book, pages that are basically text on white pages are fine, but anything that has a larger picture in the lower center of the book are stuck together. I tried to gently pry apart two of these pages, but it definitely feels like the ink just wasn't dry and the pages peeled apart onto each other. Flipping through the book, it does appear that ALL the darker pages are stuck together along the bottom 2 inches from center of the bind. From what I can see, the pictures are beautiful, and I love the information on things like where the costuming ideas came from, etc. I'd be interested to know if this is just with my particular book or if there are more out there with this issue.

The storyboard book, other than a bit of wrinkling on the inner paper cover, was in perfect condition. I've always been a bit jealous of people who can draw and have other people understand what they were making a picture of so it is very interesting to me.

The maps are basically paper. With the leather cover of the picture book, I guess I expected a little more weight to the maps. It may be worth laminating them for longer life.

If you are a Game of Thrones fan like me, you'll love this collector's edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of Thrones Collector's Edition, December 15, 2012
This is a must have for any Game of Thrones fan. It is magnificant and very detailed. I highly recommend it if you are a serious player in the Game.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great item for fans of the series. Wish I had a better copy., December 15, 2012
While this is a great item, the gold leaf on the copy I received was poorly done. Nearly 90% of the pages were stuck together and required me to go through each page to peel them apart. This left a mark at the bottom of nearly every page that while it isn't too noticeable, is still not something you expect on an item at this cost. Amazon was out of stock when I received mine so I was unable to request a replacement.

That being said, the content and presentation otherwise is very nice as stated in the other reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars very impressive, December 15, 2012
ckbunni (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
i bought this as a gift for a friend. he absolutely loved it. it looks better in person than in the photos.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pages were stuck :(( map material was not good!!, July 23, 2013
J. Belgica (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
Was excited to get this baby for the longest time... I was disappointed that most of the pages (more than half) were stuck to each other and ended up with smeared/damages pages while browsing...
Photos and looks amazing however but I was expecting the maps to be of more quality given the price I paid for it.. The maps were made of low quality paper... still a GoT fan though so Im still holding on to this :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set, slightly overwhelming price., August 8, 2013
Mike D (Mandan, North Dakota) - See all my reviews
I purchased this set as a gift for my girlfriend for part of her birthday present, and it is great. Both of us started reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series after watching the first season of the HBO series, and the items in this set are a great complement to both the TV series and the books. It does, however, only cover the first two seasons of the TV series, so the family trees and such are not quite up to date.

The maps included are of awesome quality. We are currently having ours custom framed to keep them in good condition. it's very helpful to be able to look at a detailed map at any time while watching the show or reading the books; they help keep all the travel and activity in perspective.

My only gripe with the set is that the full price is quite high. I managed to snag mine on sale via the Amazon deal of the day, but I think that if I had gotten it without it being on sale, I would have been a little disappointed. My advice is to wait until it comes on sale again.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Collector's Edition, January 25, 2013
The craftsmanship of this product is superb. I was surprised at the intricate details that add a sense of quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., December 17, 2012
Very good quality overall! The maps look great and the 'Inside Game of Thrones' book is beautifully made and written, very informative. I have yet to look at the other book, though I'm sure its just as good!

Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition
Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: The Collector's Edition by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - November 13, 2012)
$150.00 $90.00