5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Documentary!!
Published on November 17, 2010 by tyshatz

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Documentary
Space documentary's can be somewhat dull at times and have corny music. This doesn't. It does talk about some interesting topics from dark matter to black holes and get's a viewer asking questions. I did share this with a middle school science class. It would be appropriate for High School students as well.
Published 20 months ago by mmeis840

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Documentary!!, November 17, 2010
This is by far the best documentary out there I've seen that explains our cosmos and what we know up to date. The real images used for this are outstanding! Ive taken a few astronomy courses before and it just amazes me how much more we know now. This documentary not only explains our milky way galaxy in detail, but focuses on how the precision of modern astronomy allows researchers to understand how other galaxies fit into what we know as the visible cosmos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, November 24, 2010
D. Roper (Atlanta, Ga.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside the Milky Way (DVD)
This production, and the science behind it, are astounding. Behold, our universe. We are gaining glimpses into the universe that we've never seen before. ...Significant work achieved with the Hubble Space Telescope and computer modeling. ...And, this program presents it wonderfully. Best work yet on understanding of galaxies.

I want to purchase a stack of these and give one to each of my family and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like planetariums, you will LOVE this documentary, February 6, 2011
Gerard D. Launay (Berkeley, California) - See all my reviews
What makes astrophysics so interesting is that it gets to the beginning of things. Why did life start on earth, how did the universe begin, how large is it, and so forth. The problem with many documentaries on astronomy is that the narrator "tells" us the theories without "explaining" the scientific thoughts or experiments behind the ideas. This documentary does two things very well - it gives us the science behind the ideas and it produces some of the most amazing computer graphics or photo images of what the Milky Way or other galaxies look like.

There is a lot of material covered here - why the Milky Way is understood to be one of the oldest galaxies, what controls the center of the galaxy (Answer a black hole), the theory of dark matter, the importance of supernovas, the difference between spiral and elliptical galaxies.

My favorite part of the DVD was an analysis of what the universe would look like if the astronomer mapped out its dark matter with a computer model. Then a picture of the universe was produced which matched it perfectly. WOW!

There is a great deal of information in this DVD, but more importantly, a great deal of scientific explanation that supports the information. To me, it is astonishing that in 400 years we have moved from Newton to a rather comprehensive theory of how the universe was formed. This is something teenagers and adults can enjoy together. National Georgraphic did an outstanding job on the illustrations - computer or otherwise - how our galaxy works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Focused Coverage of our Milky Way Galaxy, January 29, 2011
Blu-ray version

This was a very good science program on our Milky Way Galaxy. Too often, astonomy specials are too broad. They try to cover too much in a short time frame so only a little is explained about the central topic. This 90 documentary does not fall into that trap. It stays on the topic of the Milky Way the whole time. Sure there are some exploratory trips to the early universe and the edge of the universe as well as the cosmic structure, but it is done because it supports the topic of our galaxy. The computer graphics are done nice and for a refreshing break from typical astronomy shows, it also adds high def current photographic images that are very nicely and crisply displayed.

The level of science is medium. I am a big astronomy buff so I get tired of seeing the same repeated concepts that just scratch the surface. There were a couple new concepts and some of the imagry I had not seen.

There is only one lay person analogy (which plagues other shows). This analogy was that a galaxy is like a city, only a city of stars. It comes out very early on in the show and I winched, but as they progressed there were no other stupid analogies. In fact the continued the analogy throughout the show in a way that started to make more sense. Thankfully they did not talk down to the audience.

There is also a concept they "imagine" and that is that what would we see if the Earth could be brought to other parts of the galaxy. I thought that was dumb at first but as they traveled around they showed how the sky would look and some of the shots were breathtaking (Orion nebula on the horizon, globular cluster lighting the sky, the Andromedae galaxy filling the view). It was done very well.

Overall, I highly recommend it. It was done well, the conversations with astronomers were intelligent, and the graphics, photos, and videos were all of high quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Extraordinary, April 16, 2011
VJ (Orange County CA) - See all my reviews
This is a fascinating film, crystal clear image, high quality graphic and interesting story. I watched 3 times on 3 different weekends in the morning. Each time refreshed me and opened my mind... It also gave me the energy and imagination to explore the wonder of our universe. Highly recommended. Well done NGC!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, March 29, 2011
Great quality of blu-ray and loved the content of disc.

Great explaination in laymans terms of the science behind our Galaxy!

5.0 out of 5 stars You will be amazed, August 6, 2011
Absolutely incredible. I really can't sum it up any more than that. I've always been a documentary addict and even more so an astronomical addict, yet of all the countless documentaries I've seen this one takes my breath away each and every time. The music is soothing, the narrator is captivating, the professors are passionate and it shows, and the visual effects are stunning. I've had this documentary since it was released and I still get goose bumps when I watch it. Amazing. Get it :) (see a trailer @ [...])

4.0 out of 5 stars Great program at an incredible price, October 16, 2011
Bob Short (Birmingham, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inside the Milky Way (DVD)
This is a great DVD. I thought I was getting the usual 45-50 minute documentary but it is an informative and entertaining 90 minutes-for $12.99. The presenters/commentators were well-chosen and the graphics were well-done. Another great job, National Geographic Channel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Inside the Milky Way (DVD)
The photography and graphics were fantastic...I'v already set up my painting studio to paint a large view of the Milky Way..wish someday I could look thru a large telescope and see the real thing..Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside The Milky Way, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Inside the Milky Way (DVD)
According to this excellent documentary, there are 200 billion stars in our galaxy. The Milky Way is a beautiful sight under dark skies. It is a spiral, a giant disk of stars. Our solar system lies between two of its spiral arms. Astronomers compare the Milky Way to the beautiful M74. We visit the Orion Nebula and witness star birth from dust and gas. We journey to the Crab Nebula, a supernova remnant from which heavy elements were created. We move to the galaxy's heart to discover the black hole called so-2. We travel upward to the globular clusters, the oldest stars. Dark matter is discussed, the glue holding the Milky Way together. Light passes through it. We see the Milky Way colliding with the Andromeda to form an elliptical. Geoff Marcy talks about how galaxies may have habitable zones much like stars while Seth Shostak adds some humor. National Geographic did this show.

Inside the Milky Way
Inside the Milky Way by - (DVD - 2011)
$19.97 $14.93