Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold easycohice_2016 Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on December 7, 2006
Wonderful!! I've been studying the sutras for three years now and Reverend Jaganath's book was able to take me to an even deeper level in grasping Patanjali's heartfelt intentions behind his words...I felt as if I was reading the sutras for the first time with a great big flash light shining on the depths and meanings of this beautiful guide which has served many in understanding and navigating a way through the gift we call life.
11 comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2007
Carrera's sourcebook is helpful in this daunting task of unpacking the sutras of Patanjali. He has explained so nicely his well-organized work which is clearly influenced by his guru, Swami Satchitanada. His clarity and humor are real gems in making this text accessible for the modern day yogi (yogini). It is highly readable and can be used as a resource and reviewed countless times. I find something new each time I read it!
on December 7, 2006
This book sits on my kitchen table and I read a little bit of it each day to remind me of the insightful teachings of the Yoga Sutras. Rev. Jaganath Carrera writes helpful stories to go explain the Sutras so that even a newcomer to Yoga can understand. This book has helped me bring yoga from an exercise to a way of life. Thank you Rev. Jaganath!
on March 20, 2013
I have spent the past 10 years as a yoga student and teacher, and have studied several translations of the Yoga Sutras over the years. I recently purchased "Inside the Yoga Sutras," to give me a fresh perspective for a yoga teacher-training manual I was writing. I immediately fell in love with this book. Reverend Jaganath Carrera's work is inspirational in many ways, and I find myself thinking of certain sections of the Sutras in an entirely new light, with a fresh enthusiasm and understanding. I plan to tell all of my students about this text, and to make it a required resource for future trainings.
I have always loved the study of the Yoga Sutras, and of yoga philosophy in general, but this book has ignited a new passion in me, and has allowed me to feel more equipped to at least introduce some of the key concepts of this often - complex, but pivitally important work to my students.
Reading this book has definitely improved my manual, and perhaps more importantly, has given me a heightened sense of responsibility to make sure the teachers who come through this school understand the importance of the Yoga Sutras in our work as teachers and in our lives as yogis.
Thanks to Reverend Jaganath for his devoted work, and for doing such a great job explaining things to those of us who are quite "average" in our understanding and interperetation of these sacred threads. What a gift!
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2007
Very comprehensive and understandable guide to help with
Pantanjali's complex sutra....I'd recommend for anyone
struggling to better understand sutras. I am using it in
a study group and is by far the best guide in the group!
on June 12, 2013
I bought this book after buying two other books on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. The other interpretations of this work were....cold...and had little heart, but this book is the complete opposite. Insightful, warm, inviting, and much less 'harsh' than many other translations. Reading this book was the first time I was able to truly connect to and understand the Sutras.
on December 17, 2006
This reflective book is my peace in the morning. I start each day reading and re-reading one or two sutras. Rev. Jaganath has provided a text that directly relates to our modern day lives. This book has helped me pace my life and to encourage a mindful approach. Thank you for this lasting translation.
on January 1, 2008
The book was kind of hard to get through initially, but the 2nd time through it was great. This is not fluff reading, or a let's-make-everybody-feel-good book. It's very informative and presents a whole new way for me to look at things.
on April 5, 2015
I required this book for a 200 hour yoga teacher training; I teach yoga philosophy. What I found, is that though the book is a wealth of information and offers deep insight on the sutras, it is not necessarily a book for first time readers of the sutras. My students "got through" it but were left perplexed often. I actually would recommend this book more for a 300 hour training as further study into the depths of the sutras. The book as a whole, however, is very well done. The commentary is fitting and understandable. For those who have read the sutras and want a deeper immersion - this book is for you. I believe newcomers to the writings of Patanjali would be better suited with a different version.
on May 20, 2014
I love how Jaganath Carrera expresses himself, and his interpretation and commentaries on the beloved Sutras.

When I first began studying the Yoga Sutras, I only had one book, another commentary. I didn't realize the value of having multiple books to aid in understanding the Sutras. Carrera's book is one I go to first for clarification. Highly recommend!