4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Experiential
Published 22 months ago by Nancy Hendrickson

3.0 out of 5 stars Some stunning photographs
Many great photographs illustrate common sense, valuable, nuts-and-bolts tips about landscape work.

Motivational quotes from notables help inspire and encourage beginners to "just do it!"...which is they key to success in any endeavor...as long as you analyze and learn from your mistakes AND successful shots.

The book pitches a few ads for...
Published 18 months ago by James Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Experiential, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Insights From Beyond the Lens: Inside the Art & Craft of Landscape Photography (Kindle Edition)
Photography is far more than lenses, f/stops, glass, filters, and shutter speed. In the many years I've been doing amateur photography, I've come to the place of realizing that the bulk of making a great photo takes place in the photographer's head long before the finger snaps the shutter. Since most photo books cover all of the technical elements of the hobby (or profession), I was happy to buy a copy of this book - because it talks more about the process that goes on inside the head, not in the camera.

I really liked the author's philosophy about photography and appreciate his comments and questions on WHY we photograph the things we do - - that question alone will help me as I look through the viewfinder, deciding what I want to shoot. I'm sure that asking the WHY is going to guide me to better shots.

Very nicely done, highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for photographers, January 5, 2013
Easy to read and good examples to show the reader how to take landscape photos. A great choice for all levels.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book to add some fresh ideas to your photography., November 20, 2012
Although this book is quite brief, I found it was very helpful in adding new ways of looking at photography. The author shares his own approach and anything that helps new or experienced photographers with another way of approaching a subject is a great thing. It is easy to get complacent and do what we're familiar with. A book like this helps to broaden the options for any given photograph. There isn't much "how to", they don't tell you how to meter for backlighting or which lens is recommended for..., and that was a relief. There are hundreds of books about the nuts and bolts and technical issues. This was more a book of "here's what I think when shooting a scene like..."
I liked it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., October 10, 2012
I downloaded this book a couple nights ago and tonight was the first chance I had to read it. I finished it tonight as well. A lot of good advice that does not center around emptying your wallet.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, December 27, 2012
Its really cool to here from another photographer, its the first book i get that talks about another photographers life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Ideas, December 24, 2012
I recently bought a DSLR and am looking for ways to use the new camera better. This book gave me some useful tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insights for the beginning landscape photographer, December 23, 2012
This is a great book for providing instruction to the beginning landscape photographer. I particularly liked the fact that Mr. Rodriguez included photos that he deemed as mistakes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book..., April 29, 2014
This book has a lot of information, including a lot about the gear you should own. He makes a lot of very good points, such as if you buy a $1,000 lens, why would you put a $35 lens cover on it?! It's funny, as I have seen people do this, time and time again. Go figure...maybe it is just "too" obvious. :)

There are also a lot of nice pictures in the book, which are fun to look at. I cannot say I agreed with everything the author said, but it is obvious he knows what he is talking about.

A good and quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, June 18, 2013
I like Robert Rodriguez Jr and his perspective on photography. Book offers a lot of motivation and inspiration to beginning photographers who are just getting started. Lots of great pictures and useful information.
I like the quotes he uses, offered me a lot motivation and inspiration.
Definitely recommend it to beginning photographers who need some inspiration.
The books touches a lot of bases on most areas and mainly offers a lot of inspirational and motivational techniques to help capture that amazing shot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight is instruction.., June 6, 2013
After reading negative reviews I had to share my thoughts.

For those looking for technical instruction such as gear choice, camera settings or a users manual for your camera, this book is not for you. There are thousands of books and web resources that delve into each of these. While the author does include settings for most of the photos, it's of little importance to the message he shares.

If your a spray and pray photographer this is not for you. (sell your DSLR and get a point and shoot)

If you enjoy the thought process of image creation, then this is for you.

I found it to be a good and refreshing look into one mans vision of art. While there was not a WOW moment for me there certainly is a value into how others approach their craft. The author reminds us how to 'see the forest thru the trees'.

A nice rainy day read .. unless your the author, who would still go shoot.