5.0 out of 5 stars Great "overlooked" tablet
Published 15 months ago by Graydog

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, capable mid-range Android tablet with some caveats
I am a video marketer, so I bought one of these tablets off the shelf to use as a "video business card" for a client. We needed an inexpensive tablet we could load a custom-produced HD video onto and mail it to a client. They would then be able to keep the tablet either way, so I wanted one that was a good balance between price and capability.

After...
Published 4 months ago by Mark David Zahn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "overlooked" tablet, December 4, 2013
Graydog (Misplaced Texan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insignia Flex 8 Tablet with Android Jelly Bean 4.2 (Personal Computers)
If you can catch it for $79.99 this is a great deal. Seems to be very well made, good screen resolution, and good battery life. If you dig into the "about tablet" section you will see these are made by Iriver in South Korea. Insignia being Best Buy"s generic store brand causes these to be over looked by many. they are not pretty and stylish like the Samsungs, Nexus, and especially Ipads. This is not even close to an iPad. But it is a good little workhorse of a tablet that you can toss across the car seat and not worry about a little scratch or scuff.

It is a dual core processor and runs like a dual core....not a quad core. It gets the job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good tablet for the price, but one fatal flaw, December 27, 2013
I bought this item at a local best buy for $100, although it has gone as low as $79. I cannot speak for longevity, as I returned the item, but it ran reasonably well.

The Display:

Most cheap tablets have a horrible resolution (800x400 or something pathetic like that). The resolution on this device is definitely not as good as some other devices, but it is more than acceptable. Youtube videos in HD were plenty sharp, and looke pretty good. The contrast and color is also not as good as tablets like the galaxy tab, but its not overly washed out or unsaturated.

The only real problem I had with the screen is that I noticed a very slight flickering effect. It should be noted that I have always seen flicker on plasmas, and in some 3d movies as well. I am a part of a very small minority of people who are prone to these effects. The flickering on this device was pushing my ability to see these types of things, so I'm going to assume 99.9% of people would not notice it. I only really noticed it on the home screen...

Overall the display was not bad at all, and I really doubt most people would notice or feel the effects of the flicker. It could also be that my unit had a slight defect regulating power to the backlight...

Storage:

You only get about ~6 GB of available storage in total, and 800 MB of storage on internal memory. It would be quite easy to run out of space quickly on the internal memory, which is the default location for all apps to install. This could be a big negative for the unskilled user, as they may be unaware of how to access the flash memory. Most apps can be moved to SD card, and this is what I did. There are apps like Appmgr III (App 2 SD) which will direct all apps to SD card automatically. Once you do this, the storage space should satisfy the casual user. If you don't do this, then the internal memory will be a big limitation.

Speed:

I don't play anything other than casual games (fruit ninja, angry birds, etc), so I can't really rate this tablet's ability to play 3d games or anything intensive. In my casual use, I really didn't notice any slowdowns when using this tablet. It ran surprisingly well for a sub $100 tablet. I was impressed.

Size and Weight:

8" is, in my opinion, the sweet spot. 10" is a little bit bulky, and 7" feels like an oversized phone to me. 8" is perfect. The weight was reasonable and it felt quite easy to handle. There are lighter and sleeker tablets, but I really couldn't find much wrong in this department.

Battery:
I'm not the type of person who uses their tablet for longer than 3 hours, but I still had a decent amount of battery left after a couple hours of use. I would assume this tablet lasts longer than 5 hours, but I can't say for certain since I did not test it thoroughly.

Sound:

This was the only drawback on this unit. The speakers simply did not have enough power. I turned the volume to the max, but the sound was pretty low. This is most problematic when watching a tv show, or a dialogue based youtube video. The speech is not always easy to make out. If you are in an empty silent room you can probably make due, but any ambient noise will quickly drown out this tablet.

This is why I returned this unit. It was going to be primarily used for video playback, and there just wasn't any way I would have been able to make this work. You'd pretty much need headphones if you want to go this route... and I wasn't willing to do that.

Web browsing:

As with most modern tablets, it does not come with flash installed. Even though this tablet does not come with flash, its very easy for intermediate users to install the archived version of flash onto this tablet. Once you installed the archived version of flash, get the dolphin browser and the dolphin jetpack. Finally, go into dolphin browser's settings, manage content settings, then turn flash to "always on".

Conclusion:

This tablet was surprisingly good for the price. I expected much worse considering the cheap price. It did everything quite well. If it wasn't for the very weak audio, I would've kept this tablet. A lot of people don't use their tablet primarily for media playback, so this may not be as big of an issue for most people.

The storage space issue could be a big problem for novice users, but its quite easy for intermediate level users to solve. You simply need an App to SD manager. You don't get the full advertised 8 GB of space, its actually between 5GB-6GB, but this is true with most tablets. The built in apps and OS take up some of the space, and the total space is usually rounded up.

If you aren't using this for video playback or music (or you are willing to use headphones), this tablet is a great deal. Unfortunately for me, the sole purpose was video playback, so I returned it. I ended up going with the kindle fire hd for $130 from Staples. The kindle fire is a better tablet in general for 30% more, but its only 7" (and yes the extra inch does make a big difference). Other 8"-9" tablets are easily $100+ more (see galaxy tab 3 8.0, kindle fire hd 8.9, iPad mini).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet, December 1, 2013
Surprisingly fast, well made, great price. It has a bright vivid screen. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a tablet

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, capable mid-range Android tablet with some caveats, October 27, 2014

After doing some research on sub-$100 tablets, I went with the Insignia Flex 8 (NS-15AT08). It was a quad-core Android KitKat tablet at around $79, and the reviews seemed fairly good. Upon purchasing it, one big flaw I found was the need to charge this for at least four hours before any use. iPads usually come ready to roll right out of the box, so this was an annoyance. Once charged though, I set about taking it through its paces before customizing it for my project. The screen brightness, turned way up, was a little dim and the viewing angles were not great, but for my purposes it wasn't a deal breaker. For long term use, I'd opt for a better screen.

The other noticeable caveat of this tablet for my purposes as a video player was that the speakers are fairly underpowered. I had to mix my sound levels hotter than normal to make the video audible for the casual listener. Used with headphones, it may not be an issue but it was for my needs.

As far as normal use with the Google Play store and apps, the tablet performed fairly well considering the price. No major issues with performance that I could notice. One thing that I noticed though, which is an issue with Android devices as a whole and not a knock at this tablet in particular, is that many popular apps like Instagram are not compatible with this tablet. Not sure why, they're not performance hogs or anything. It's just an issue that Android has as a platform with so many different SKUs of hardware out there. I have heard this to be an issue with many other tablets as well.

Other than that, the tablet is a fairly capable little device with decent battery life, responsive performance, a lightweight body and a decently sharp (if not bright) screen. Wi-fi performance seemed good. The camera performance is subpar, but for the price it's not to be expected that this will have an iPhone grade camera. At 2 MP rear and <1 front, the pictures are not remarkable but not disastrous either. Don't expect great selfies or low-light shots.

I would have no qualms at all getting this tablet for a child or as a good cheap, casual use tablet, but don't expect a top-of-the-line workhorse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet, December 2, 2013
Just bought one at Best buy for 79.99 I just wish I could save all my app games to my memory card,but will only save to the build in storage only it will save to your micro SD memory card is music and pictures any thing else u r SOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Performance for less!!!, August 11, 2014
Fast, good construction, and great for what ever a Samsung Galaxy does but for less money... I am totally impressed...

5.0 out of 5 stars Insignia Flex 8" Tablet with Android Jelly Bean 4.2, December 23, 2013
Got one for free with mileage perks.

It has a MicroSDHC port for your own content. Nexus, iPad and Kindle do not have this wonderful
little feature. This can play your own movies and music up to 32GBs at least.

The resolution is pretty good. It ain't no 1080p but it works well. Movies are crisp and clear.
The sound is lacking unfortunately.

Google voice works. Translations are speedy from foreign tongues to English.
It is pretty cool. It is cheap too. It is like all computers, dependent upon connection speed.

It works best if you have knowledge of computers.

2.0 out of 5 stars I got one of these less than a month ago ..., November 9, 2014
I got one of these less than a month ago for my birthday and it's already glitching. I got up this morning and charged it after not using it for a few days, even fully charged the touch screen won't respond. I also have a crack that wasn't there when I last used it, and no one has touched it since Id last used it. It's an internal crack, and the glass/plastic whatever it is outside isn't cracked. Has anyonelse had this happen to them, and do you think I will be able to return it or use the warranty. I didn't cause the crack, but I'd be surprised if anyone would Beleive that.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a great tablet for small kids, February 24, 2015
This is a great tablet for small kids. I bought this for my 2 yr old cause she fought with her brothers for theirs. It had gone out of business but I found this on amazon. The only problem is it says it's an 8g, but when you open it, it is .98g. This is a huge problem because it doesn't have the space it says. She loves it and has about 20 games on it and can watch YouTube. Great price for what you actually get out of it. Just know before you buy. I did and it's perfect. Even if it lasts 2 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not that it's a bad tablet. It just isn't a good one, August 25, 2014
It's not that it's a bad tablet. It just isn't a good one. You can do much better in sheer processing power and screen resolution for a few dollars more so shell out a couple more bucks and get something great. If you're just looking to read some ebooks it is a rock solid choice. But as previously stated the dismal battery life gets to be a bother.

Insignia Flex 8 Tablet with Android Jelly Bean 4.2