5.0 out of 5 stars (FROM BEST BUY) - Brand new and currently spectacular
I just bought these speakers from Best Buy with my girlfriend for $70. We both went to find a replacement for the CA-3602, which had poor sound quality (tinny and unpropitious bass).

Published on January 12, 2012 by Eva Moon

3.0 out of 5 stars When it works?
The Insignia Computer Speakers sound great when they work. There is a problem sometimes with the speakers not turnung on when turned on. A few bangs to the side of the sub-woofer normally gets the speakers to start up. At times this a a pain in the backside. This is the second set of Insignia that has had similar problems. The first set never did make a sound.
Published on July 10, 2012 by israelisaacson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars (FROM BEST BUY) - Brand new and currently spectacular, January 12, 2012
Eva Moon (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insignia NS-PCS41 2.1 Computer Speaker System (Personal Computers)

We were happy to find that best buy lets you test several displayed speakers before you buy them, and my girlfriend is a voice teacher, professional pianist, music director, and opera star at the collegiate level in Boston. The reason I mention this is because she played a fundamental role in my decision to purchase these (she got herself a pair out of "love").

We've tested the quality of these speakers based upon their quality projection of piano, guitar, bass, vocals (rap and rock), gaming effects, and likely other means of which I am at a loss for words regarding how to describe.

Basics of the system:

Volume: loud enough to run a dense one-story party, no problem. I would know, having hosted a great many in school a couple years ago. If this description is too vague for you, understand that they are very loud if you want them to be. Far more than necessary to completely envelop a large bedroom and more (as I say, plenty for a dense one-story party in a full-sized home). Obviously you need not blast them, the low volume quality is excellent as well.

Bass: really beautiful. This isn't just my words, which despite my moderate work with audio for video production, isn't overwhelmingly valuable, but also that of my girlfriends. She knows her sound. And this qualifies excellently for her standards. If you want the house to fall down, I see no reason that it wouldn't lest it be built of brick (...3 little piggies...). I don't have the musical vocabulary to define the bass distinctly, but it is most certainly a full, powerful, and pleasing bass.

There are two things further to note regarding the bass. The second is one of the only minimal downsides of the system.

1. It automatically adjusts according to the volume of the speakers and/or system. I thought this was nice.

2. You must adjust the bass volume/power (same?) via the bass unit itself. It's not hard to reach or to adjust, just would be a tad nicer if you could adjust the bass via the speaker unit, which houses a large power button, volume, and treble. Also an input for headphones and Aux on the front of the primary speaker.

Treble: again, really beautiful. So far as I can tell, this is without flaw. It's challenging to imagine a more crisp, full-bodied sound. Vocals and instruments sound like they are being played beside you, absent any intermediary unit. The range appears to be excellent as well. Sorry again for lack of audio vocabulary to better express the quality. Just remember, girlfriend loves it, and she most definitely knows.

Aesthetics: Just looked at the amazon image provided, and let me emphasis how much better these speakers look in real life. The speakers have a glossy black finish on the fronts, and matte black on the sides and black. Matte black all around the sub. The sub appears to be about 7-8 inches deep and wide, and probably 10 inches tall? Sorry, no ruler available atm, but I consider those estimates accurate. The speakers are about 8 inches tall (picture shown here makes them look smaller than they are IMO) and about 3 1/2 - 4 icnhes wide, with about the same depth. I don't know what else to say, except that I truly think they look great.

Build: Nothing here is cheap except for the ipod stand. Not that it's awful, it's really just a piece of plastic to put your ipod on. Nothing wrong, but nothing special. And I'm not sure I'll be using it, since my iPhone 4s vibrates like a beast and might fall off it. It's on it atm, but I just don't trust it to balance during an incoming call or two. The speakers are excellent weight, very appropriate for their size. Not heavy, but certainly not light. The secondary speaker is lighter than the primary one, but not by much. If you smack them, they'll fall, but they are totally tap and table shake-proof. The bass is pretty heavy; definitely not something that qualifies as conveniently mobile. It's rather heavy, actually, definitely better than 10 lbs I imagine. The knobs are a pleasure to turn and appear to be quite sturdy.

One other nice plus is that the power cable is regular size, not bulky like my last speaker system. This helps me to utilize more space on my surge protector.

The input method is 3.5 mm audio jack, and the system comes with a 9-10 inch dual audio jack cable (as seen attaching ipod to speaker in the picture). The cable itself is approx. 7 inches, including the two jacks it's more like 9 or so. No USB input method here, at least not without some 3.5 mm - usb converter.

Final word:

These are excellent all-around speakers/bass for personal or social use. I've tested them with my iphone and with my computer (win7 x64 custom gaming desktop pc), and no fault can be found. In fact, only excellent things can be said to describe them. If you are looking for speakers based primary on their mobility, I would look elsewhere unless you need real power with that mobility. These aren't a challenge to lug around, but I certainly wouldn't want to be doing it as a routine. For $70, these speakers FAR surpassed the quality of the ca-3602, which is miraculously spoken of so highly of on amazon and bestbuy's website (i imagine due to their appearance more than not, though I found some reviews to accurately describe their quality and build). I planned to spend about $50 on speakers, and went up to $70 based on both my own interpretation, but also in no small part based upon my girlfriends outstanding enthusiasm towards them. We both agreed they were exceedingly better than the bose companion 2 for $100 (which really weren't very good at all, surprisingly). Basically, if you feel this price range is acceptable for you, and you want to be certain that you are receiving truly top-notch quality, I wouldn't hesitate to buy these (kind of a duh, since I did and had several other choices that I tested right in front of me). Alternatively, if this is in the low spectrum of your price range, I would still recommend buying these speakers. I really can't imagine you being disappointed. If you need your house to shake while you are watching an epic blue ray on your 60'' plasma, I would likely look upstream, but if you have a desktop that you desire exceptional quality for, or really any platform of audio (i.e. ipod, tablet, pc, mac (probably? works great with my 4s anyways), etc), I wouldn't think twice about this set.

But lastly, I personally essentially never buy anything off of amazon unless the purchase is at least fulfilled by amazon. At the time that I am writing this review, the seller isn't backed by amazon. So purchase at your own risk, or go to a store (best buy or elsewhere) and pick up a set. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, August 4, 2013
I have had these speakers for half a decade and they still sound just as good as new. They work great, are loud, and are good for any person who wants to listen to their music loudly without sacrificing the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desktop nirvana, March 22, 2013
I bought this speaker package recently from BestBuy.

First the not so good:
Midrange speakers have very thin panty hose type cloth over them, not good if one of them should topple over and poke the speaker on something, or if a kid pokes it with something.

The woofer volume is not where it should be, it's on the back of the woofer that's on the floor! (WTF?) It should be on the right side of the midrange where all the other dials and jacks are. (keep it set in the middle of it's setting, otherwise too much will cause booming)

Now the good:

Outstanding performance for what I paid, $65.00. These speakers produce clean, excellent full range sound, music, audio, soundtracks with no vibration or false tones. Very high build quality woofer, nice and heavy, it contributes to wonderful vibration free sound.

Buy these and you will be in Virvana as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for use with your computer and Smartboards at school....Bravissimo!, March 17, 2013
After my Smartboard was installed I looked for the best speaker system possible since I teach Elementary Music and found these speakers...they are perfect!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars When it works?, July 10, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Was pretty happy at first, gradually went down hill. They do still work though., June 26, 2012
I bought these from best buy for 60 bucks about6 months ago. I had a gift-card so I decided to go with these. They sounded good at the store and the reviews online were good enough for me to get them. Well six months later my sub sounds like its got a slight rattle. I don't even turn the bass up on that sub. It's a cheap ass sub... great main speakers though real loud and a Treble adjuster next to the volume. The bass was not very impressive when it did work well either. Time to look for something better. I guess ill just take the two main speakers to work for my desk there.

Don't recommend these and oh yes the blue light on the front right speaker is extremely bright. I read that in the reviews and figured it wasn't that bad. But yes you can't even stare into it without getting spots in your eyes. It's a love hate thing for me, I love lights and most especially blue lights. It matches my computer setup well but its way to damn bright. I like to put my drink in front of it, it looks bad ass ill include a picture if it's not to much work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor bass bought because many 4 star reviews, March 6, 2013
I received the product used in excellent condition in original package. I guess from review I expected more. Not to be used for music. I had an Altec Lasing before. Very happy just worn out. This product is good for basic web browsing but nothing else. Over rated by reviews. Vey poor volume level also.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, June 23, 2014
These are barely louder then my $20 pair. I still have to use head phones to hear anything well. And even when they were turned off the left speaker gave off a buzzing sound. It fact, it took me a while to figure out where the sound was coming from. But when wearing head phones the sound is very loud. I had them reboxed 2 weeks ago to return but due to "life" I was 3 days late in trying to return them. I did buy a Warranty so I figured i could at least get a set that worked. But then I could not find the warranty. Lucky for me that Amazon has GREAT Customer Service and they allowed me to return these speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good system, comes with blue laser beam!, April 24, 2014
First let me say that I laughed at the reviews that described the blue power LED. One said it would light a room (it does!), another described it as melting his retinas (exaggeration as the pain causes you to look away before that can happen). Levity aside, it really is bright. One person stated they placed white nail polish over it and I have to say that a black sharpie works well too. While annoying, can't take off a star for it as it scares away the supernatural and promotes peace on earth.

Now to the real review. It is a good system so far. The speakers have a headphone jack, and aux input for an mp3 player or phone (comes with cord). You can adjust volume, treble and turn it off (and thus turn off the blue light of death) when you want. The subwoofer has its own volume knob (um... conveniently located on the back of the unit), but since I adjust it about halfway, it's kind of set and forget anyway.

The sound is great for a cheaper priced unit, without a well known brand name attached. The speakers have tweeters, midrange, and the subwoofer takes care of the rest. While not a die hard audiophile, it is pleasant to great sounding with all types of music I have played, and loud enough to hear around the house. It does what it's supposed to, and looks good doing it.

Plus you get that great blue LED that can run all your photocell equipment... while letting you know who's the boss!

5.0 out of 5 stars works great!, March 18, 2014
I love these speakers! I use them daily and have almost never had a problem with them. I tend to push my speakers to the limit which caused the death of my previous speakers. These however are still going strong after 6 months and have great bass and sound quality. I bought these speakers out of the open box section of best buy because they had no knew ones and I think this may be the reason for a slight noise the sub makes when listening to music with the woofer cranked up. Other than that no complaints!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›