5.0 out of 5 stars Suffer No More with Sleeplessness!
Published on December 4, 2012 by Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New
Offers no new information on the topic of sleeplessness. But it does provide a nice summary of all the data available on the topic. But don't lose sleep if you don't get it.
Published 23 months ago by calvin

5.0 out of 5 stars Suffer No More with Sleeplessness!, December 4, 2012
Through this great book, I was relieved to find that I wasn't alone when it comes to insomnia. Over 30% of the American population suffers from insomnia-related symptoms, who knew? While reading, I was able to concisely target my symptoms and identify the type of insomnia I suffered with, and eventually find a multitude of ways to cure it. Whether you believe in medicine, lean towards holistic treatment, or seek practical solutions, this book explains how to eliminate insomnia on a variety of levels so you can get back to the positives in your life. It even goes into the science and psychology behind sleeplessness, exploring the circadian rhythm and the root causes of insomnia-whether external or within the networks of our mind. After finishing this read, I came out twice as knowledgeable towards my insomnia-related illness, and I now sleep like a rock. A fantastic book! I'd recommend it to anyone who suffers with sleeplessness like I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Help Eliminate insomnia with Insomnia!, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Insomnia: A Guide to Insomnia and Relief for a Better Night's Sleep (Paperback)
Sleep sometimes seems like a necessary evil, while other times it seems like a little bit of heaven on Earth. When we are younger, unless we have a sleep disorder, the power of sleep is taken for granted. However, even in the absence of a sleep disorder, age has a funny way of making you respect the power of sleep. John Chatham, in Insomnia, informs us that sleep disorders affect 20% of the population and that insomnia will strike nearly all of us at some point in our lives.

The book details many of the causes and types of insomnia and explains them with clarity and brevity, making it easy to understand and to determine if one of these disorders is causing your insomnia. For me, the section on Sleep Anxiety was the most important as I sometimes become anxious when it it bedtime. As I have moved past 50, I have noticed that my sleep is not as deep as it used to be, and that I occasionally have trouble getting to sleep and often wake before I need to. There are many beneficial suggestions and techniques that may help achieve a deeper, longer, and more restful sleep, even for those of us who are quickly passing through middle age!

In Insomnia, Mr Chatham uses clear and concise language to explore the science and importance of sleep while also clearly describing effective methods to improve the quality of sleep. It is a must read for anyone who has had more than a few bouts of insomnia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Information, March 12, 2013
LAJuJu (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
This was a very informative book that helped me understand all the different aspects of sleep. I especially made note of the foods to avoid as well as the ones that may aid in helping me fall asleep. It gave me many different ideas to try as well as information to help me discern what my body needs. Thanks for an excellent overview on insomnia, as well as the suggestions on where to go for more information! Highly Recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give good insight!, March 7, 2013
Francesca (PA United States) - See all my reviews
This books is very informative and gives good advice on how to get a good night's sleep. The author did his homework and it was well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic info, January 26, 2013
Nice synopsis of basic sleep medicine for general knowledge. A quick read and good review for healthcare professionals treating sleep disorders

4.0 out of 5 stars Enter Sandman, November 30, 2012
This is a solid and insightful look at insomnia that will surely help many to get the rest they have been missing.

To summarize, the author lists the different types and causes of insomnia along with a catalogue of its negative physiological effects. The full range of possible remedies---holistic, pharmaceutical and practical---is also explored, with attention to factors and complications involved in their relative efficacy.

While most of the causes of insomnia are psychological, there are medical and genetic causes as well. The author discusses how physical pain, anxiety and hunger all interfere with sleep. Chatham addresses the science of sleep and discloses the significance of circadian rhythms and how they can be harnessed to help the insomniac get to sleep.

I learned about every aspect of insomnia and sleep, including the four stages of sleep and the different sleep disorders, all dispensed in a proactive light and applied remedially. However, there is more than science here. The author also taught me a bagful of simple tricks I could use to help my body settle into a restful state.

This is a full-scale study on the science of sleep and insomnia, with sound analysis and plenty of supporting data. I give it a hearty recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defeat insomnia with this powerful advice., November 8, 2012
Sleep is a big deal. We know we need it. We suffer when we don't get it and yet, we don't truly respect it. Like bills, rush hour or taxes, we take it for granted. It is only when it's absent from our lives that we realize just how much we miss it.

But, as Mr. Chatham, the author of "Insomnia" points out; 20% of the population suffer from sleep deprivation and most of us, at some time in our lives, will suffer from temporary insomnia. That is a reason to take sleep seriously.
In his concise guide, Mr. Chatham offers a roadmap to what insomnia really is, the science behind sleep patterns, and the choices open to insomniacs looking for help.

Most sensibly, Mr. Chatham points out the important role that sleep plays in our lives and gives us permission, as it were, to GO TO BED, stating that "No deadline is worth sacrificing your health."
In these stressful times, it's good to read a book which not only lets us know that we are not alone, but tells that it's okay to make sleep a priority, and to live healthier, happier lives.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, February 12, 2013

Insomnia: A Guide to Insomnia and Relief for a Better Night's Sleep
Insomnia: A Guide to Insomnia and Relief for a Better Night's Sleep by John Chatham (Paperback - November 1, 2012)
$12.99 $12.81
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.