1,173 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense air mattress w/ thoughtful features
Published on January 18, 2008 by William

1.0 out of 5 stars leaks
From the first night of use, the bed had a slow leak - with no obvious source. To ensure that the bed was usable our guests would have to inflate the bed every 4 hours - which was not feasible.
Published on January 22, 2010 by Helen

5.0 out of 5 stars No-nonsense air mattress w/ thoughtful features, January 18, 2008
William (HONOLULU, HI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Insta-Bed Queen Raised Sure Grip Bottom with Built-In Pump (Sports)
This bed is a step above the Aerobed. Unlike my previous 2 aerobeds, this mattress doesn't leak. None at all over an 8 day period of guests. Not even a slow leak. None! Pump is quick and the power deflate is a real time and space saver. Flocking on the mattress is also warmer than a cold plastic top. Can't believe how much less in price this was over the aerobeds-- a no-brainer!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE, January 6, 2011
I always call customer service PRIOR to purchasing a product just to see how well they treat people. I just got off the phone with Wenzel customer service (800 325-8368) and here is what I discovered:

I was on hold for six minutes before I actually spoke with a person. There were a lot of clicks, pops and periods of dead silence that may confuse some people into thinking they had been disconnected but that was not the case. Just hang on. I called on a Thursday at 10:30 am (eastern time) so I might have called at a time when the call volume was low, but I was impressed that the hold time was reasonable.

The gentleman who answered the call was courteous and did not try to pry contact information out of me prior to dealing with the reason why I called.

My first question was about the warranty. I said I was not able to find any warranty details on Amazon.com or the Wenzel website. He directed me to the Insta-bed website (insta-bed.com) where I found it quickly.

I asked him if the pump went out or there was no electricity available, was it possible to fill the mattress manually. He said yes, there was another valve on the side where it could be filled.

I then asked about leaks. He said most people who called about leaks didn't realize that the plastic stretches when it is initially inflated and it will go soft the first few times it is used. People will assume it has a leak when all it really needs is additional air to firm it back up. He also said that there are some seals around the pump that may leak but those leaks can be corrected quite easily. Other than that, the one year warranty covered leaks, bulges, pump failure - whatever.

Warranty exchange consists of contact them to get an RMA and then cutting out the label information from the side of the mattress (rendering the mattress useless) and sending the label in with the RMA. You don't have to ship the whole mattress back!

So, all of you who who said this thing leaked, or complained that this mattress does not have a warranty, I would encourage you to call them and see how they treat you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Air bed., January 14, 2008
rAma (Dayton, OH) - See all my reviews
Found this to be an excellent bed, pros are longer air retention (I sleep at least 5 days before needing to turn on the pump), uniform pressure distribution. I normally do not have any back problems and this bed did not introduce any new ones after about a couple of months of regular usage. Our guests loved it, the only con I can see is that the pump is so slow - takes a minimum of 4 minutes to fill the bed from flat and takes similar time to deflate. That is negligible compared with the pros, we recommend this product to anyone that is interested in an Air bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely incredible, January 2, 2008
We wanted to get an air mattress for guests we were expecting. We have purchased them before and they were very disappointing. They were either uncomfortable or they wouldn't hold air for very long. Any amount of movement when lying on them, didn't help.
We decided to try Amazon.com. After reviewing the different air mattresses that they showed and discribed, we read the reviews that were given on those products. We decided on the Wenzel Insta-bed and we feel we absolutely made the right choice. It was easy to set up and take down. It's very very comfortable. Our guests enjoyed it so much, they wanted to pack it up and take it home with them. They said they were as comfortable as they are in their bed at home and slept great!
We are very pleased with our purchase and we recommend this product to everyone!
Thank you!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good airbed, January 16, 2009
Bought this airbed in November for my parents to use over the holidays. They used it every night for approximately 3 weeks, inflated and took down every day. My parents felt that it did lose a little air during the night, so I encouraged them to put more air in it at the beginning. I think this may have been from the air being cold.

I slept in it one night to try it out before my parents arrived, and the air in the airbed gets truly cold when the weather is cold. I slept in it for 6 hours before moving to my bed because I couldn't get warm. After that I bought a down-filled mattress cover at Wal-mart. My parents did not have any problem with it being cold. I was able to sleep on the bed another night with my mother and sister (it really is quite big, although we are not big people) and the bed did not lose air and felt great.

(A note on comfort: the bed was very comfortable and firm, I do not like squishy soft beds. It felt like a real mattress, except for the row lines on the top. The mattress cover helped make it feel more like a real mattress.)

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who needs a queen-sized airbed. I recommend when using the airbed for the first time to fill it up soft and wait an hour before filling it up to firm, as another reviewer on Amazon.com recommended for any airbed.
****
Review update 7-1-09
I have had my grandparents and a friend sleep on my airbed since my original review. They thought the bed was great! My friend used it for two weeks while I was on vacation, and never aired it up (it did need some more air, but she didn't know how to do it), but was still able to sleep on it.
Note: as far as sheets go I did not have any trouble with using queen-sized bed sheets. The queen-sized mattress cover fits very snuggly and the sheet on top of it does not move.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whew! What a relief!, September 21, 2008
Susan "Susan" (Tuscaloosa, AL, USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter and I were moving and sold all our furniture before leaving. Our plan was to find a bed for each of us we could use indefinately... or until we were able to get our 'perfect bedroom suite'. These beds have been great and we have been sleeping on them for a month now. We have a 65 lb dog that runs and jumps on them and we've had absolutely NO problems with leaking or tearing. We got the matress cover recommended at purchase which helps protect it, I'm sure. We also got king size sheets w/ deep pockets for the queen size air bed because the fitted sheet stays on perfect in the larger size. Fantastic! and the built in pump works great for inflating or deflating. Absolutely love this bed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, March 11, 2008
I read reviews before making this purchase. I wanted to get it because it met all the things I wanted, and was willing to put up with slow inflation and deflation to get them. Well, I don't know why someone thinks it is slow unless they have only a couple of minutes to accomplish the task. We find the inflation/deflation times acceptable. It is a comfortable bed and looks good. We have not yet used it for guests but laying on it feels very nice. We got it for overflow situations so it will be used only on those occasions and I think it will be perfect. Our family has lots of arthritis and the height makes it quite good for getting into and out of bed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insta-Bed, December 31, 2007
The bed inflates very rapidly and was a good size. Almost too big for the space I had. I wish I had gotten 2 twins since I don't always need a queen size bed. It was very comfortable although I would suggest a blanket or some other cover on top (it does comes with a "velveteen" top not just plastic)- in a cool house at night the "air" wasn't very warm. It stayed inflated with just an occasional re-inflation until the 5th day. I don't know if it developed a puncture in the outside area around the edge or what but it wouldn't stay inflated for more than a couple hours (only in this area, the rest of the bed and center was fine). I couldn't feel any air coming out so I'll have to check carefully. Be sure you check for the patch kit when you unpack. I can't find it although it says it comes with one. I am pleased with the bed though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big, but good, July 27, 2007
Angela Hildebrand (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
It's very tall, and pretty big. You need to have plenty of space. But it is very comfortable and takes a few days to need more air. My son slept on it for 5 nights straight, and he is very picky, and it didn't bother his back at all. Very nice product!!

1.0 out of 5 stars leaks, January 22, 2010