Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Far Cry 2 - PC forum

Far Cry 2 Will Install SecuROm -- limited but revokable installations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2008 8:43:37 AM PDT
Autodidact says:
According to ShackNews, Far Cry 2 will install SecuROM:

Ubisoft forum manager bukowski113 posted the deatils on the game's official forum:

# You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.
# Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation. This process is called "revoke", so as long as you complete proper uninstall you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 systems.
# You can upgrade your computer as many time as you want (using our revoke system)
# Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided.
# Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55340

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 4:48:20 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If Ubisoft is so committed to the customer then it should get rid of SecuROM. It's one thing when you are selling a game for kids to play and quite another when you are selling to hard core gamers. The people who will want to play this have mostly been around the block a few times and know what DRM represents. I think that many gamers will let this game pass no matter how the packaging is wrapped. DRM is the issue. Remove it and the gamers will return.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 6:39:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2008 6:40:37 PM PDT
Mark Lahren says:
I'm missing out on a lot of great games because of this activation crap. But hey, on the other hand, I will somehow manage to stay alive without those games. AND, since all the major publishers seem to be switching over to that protection scheme, and apparently the majority of customers don't care, I figure I'll save myself about $500 in PC games this year. I actually used to budget $80 to $100 per month for PC games. I figure there will still be a few budget publishers that won't jump on the activation bandwagon, so for now, I'm leaving that part of my gaming budget alone.

AND, if this keeps up, I'll soon be able to get by playing the 600 boxed games I've kept in my closets over the last 15 years, over half of which are still in their shrinkwrap. Should keep me busy for a while, with the side benefit that I'll be saving even MORE money by not having to purchase or upgrade to new computers.

So, yeah, I'll be missing out, but hey, I like the idea of having more cash around.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 6:47:34 PM PDT
Mark Lahren says:
Also, why in the HECK doesn't Amazon list "Online Activation" as one of the system requirements for ANY of these DRM games?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 8:19:20 PM PDT
I guess I'm getting the 360 version then. If this DRM stuff keeps up and becomes even more frequent, I might as well just turn my gaming pc into a workstation . DRM is hurting pc gaming business more than piracy ever did.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 8:25:25 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Continue to buy Psycho but all you are doing is killing computer gaming, don't you realize that? What you are doing is supporting the company instead of sending them a message that what they are doing is wrong. What are you going to do when they start to pull this crapola with console games? You are doing something that will only hurt yourself in the end and allow the company to say screw the customer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 8:58:38 PM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Here's a copy of my Spore rant, but it is also very apt here.

My dilemma with these publishers is that they expect me to trust them, but they will not trust me. In other words, I have to accept that they will indefinitely provide activation servers and / or update servers, but they don't have the decency to provide me with a hassle free game, like we used to have with a simple CD in the drive check. Even further back, we had no DRM at all and sales were stellar. We wouldn't have $16 billion mega-game-corps today if people like me hadn't spent thousands on these developers and publishers in the past. I bought stacks of games that were either DRM free or had a very simple CD check. I was happy with that, because I had a product that I could use forever.

Now these companies, fatted upon my wallet argue that because games do not deteriorate like other products, such as books, I should now agree to an artificially imposed lifetime for games, despite the fact that no such limitation exists for DVDs, Blu-rays, music CDs, many forms of digital video downloads, many forms of digital photography or art etc. I just can't see why they need to be so damn greedy when they have made so much money out of me in the past. I feel like I am getting ripped off.

To top this argument off, most, if not all these modern games loaded with draconian DRM have no effect on piracy whatsoever. The people driving these publishing houses just don't seem to understand that as soon as one person pirates their game, just about anybody inclined to piracy can get a copy. That leaves me, the paying customer with a game that could commit suicide at any time and the freeloader with a version of the game that will last forever. Furthermore, companies like EA obviously think I am stupid, because they claim through media outlets that anybody complaining about DRM is a criminal! Why would I complain about DRM if all I wanted was a free copy? I can get a free copy of Spore right now, but I won't, because I prefer to pay my way. The gaming industry is distancing many of its loyal customers by abusing DRM to prevent longterm ownership and resales. It's a dirty trick and vexes me considerably.

[OK, RANT NOW OVER! :-)]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 3:26:45 AM PDT
Harry says:
Well that's another great looking game I will have to pass on.
What is it with these developers? don't they see they are only driving more people towards piracy if they infest their products with malicious malware.
Not that I condone piracy, but lets face it.. what would people prefer to play on their pc's

a version that is free of any unwanted crap, the choice of being able to play and install it whenever you wish on your system..

Or the retail product, which lets you rent your product, due to the fact that you have to be in connection to the mothership at all times to ask permission to install it. No internet, well your #$% out of luck then, comes with stuff that can seriously ruin you day and your pc, and even has more control over your pc than you do.

Console manufactures are having a field day, kill of pc gaming, get them a cheap plug and play box and charge hefty for it games, which are still second best to high end pc's

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 8:42:17 AM PDT
If for some insane reason they started requiring net activation on console games then I wouldn't buy them either and find something else to do. (basically just play the old non-DRM games over and over)

I'm not some kind of platform purest. I go where the games are and the DRM on a lot of PC games is so annoying that I'm going more to the console side with a lot of games lately.

So far, Fallout 3 is the only major PC release I'll be getting this fall. I'm not going to have the weight of the game industry on my shoulders and act like I'm some activist over some games. It's just a matter of going to the best quality product and DRM is tainting a lot of pc games and driving me to another platform. It's as simple as that.

If one day the games industry decides to kill itself then oh well it's their own damn fault. I probebly wouldn't care as by that time I'll probebly be living in a shanty town with the rest of the nation cooking a rat over a burning trash barrel.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2008 7:23:42 PM PDT
Noctem says:
"Hey, remember when you could just buy games and play them whenever you wanted without publisher consent?" - Kotaku

Yes I do as a matter of fact. Which is why I'm not buying games with ridiculous copy protection just as bad as star force. Securom installs to the 0 ring on your OS, meaning that it's a pain to remove much like a rootkit. Securom also does not uninstall when you uninstall the game so you might as well reformat after you uninstall. Also, why do I need to be online to play an offline game?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 7:17:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2008 7:23:57 AM PDT
H. Jones Jr says:
Let me first say that I think DRM as it is (with the exception of Steam) has done nothing to even slow piracy down. I think it was Psycho or someone else who said in the Warhead forum that Spore was cracked in less than a day. And it had some of the most restrictive DRM ever. That said I am still buying FC2. The game looks too cool for me to pass. Let me break down why:

1.The game looks awesome, nuff said.
2.I'm not an expert by any means, but I do know all the basics about upgrading my system and tweaking my games to get good performance. I bought Mass Effect and while I don't remember it installing Securom(damn you EA) I do remember seeing the limited activations during installation. However, I have never noticed any of the things many of you have been saying about how Securom interferes with other programs and makes your comp slower. In fact my system has been running pretty much flawlessly since I got it in June, installing Mass Effect about two weeks after it was up and running. Here are my specs:
Dell XPS
2.4GHz Intel Quadcore
4 Gig DDR
Soundblaster Audigy 7.1
8800 GT Sli
0.5 TB Seagate Drive

3. If the guy quoted in the OP is correct, it looks like limited installations won't be a problem as they can be revoked.
4. I don't uninstall, unless the game has a serious problem, then I reinstall it. The only other time I've reinstalled is when I've gotten a bigger hard drive.

Bottom line: I agree that the current DRM is not great, but since having the misfortune of installing Mass Effect without realizing it had DRM I have not had any problems whatsoever. Not saying they don't happen, but they haven't happened to me. I already prepurchased via steam, this game looks too good to pass up and I so dearly loved the first Far Cry.

EDIT: I am a platform purist to an extent, with the exception of Halo I can't stand to play shooters on the console...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 10:55:07 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Once you buy the game you are telling the corporations that it is perfectly okay to treat their customers like criminals. These companies feel that they can do anything they want to their customers and since customers have no brains they will not complain. The people in charge of these corporations have to realize that if they abuse their customers they will feel a financial loss. So I for one will NEVER buy any DRM infected game because I would like to enjoy the game another 10 years from now. Once you accept DRM in your computer that has the potential for harm, the companies will only be encouraged to continue and escalate the abuse. So as much as I would like to play this game I can refrain from purchasing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 1:05:26 AM PDT
Scott Beaton says:
I just canceled my pre-order of FarCry2, it's a shame to because I always have bought my games. I am sorry, no SecuROM on my computer, I am the admin not Ubisoft or EA of my own computer. I will not give up my rights and pay for a rental or be forced to call them and beg like dog for another install for something I bought.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 6:55:26 AM PDT
H. Jones Jr says:
My point was that I have not seen the problems on my system you guys were talking about. Unfortunately, I've come to be expected to be treated like a potential criminal, think about it. Why do stores have cameras watching you all the time? Why do they put security tags on clothes and dvd's? Why do gas stations make you pay before you pump? Why do they have a myriad of other security measures aimed at you, the general public, 98% of whom are not criminals? I am not endorsing their use of securom, but I do understand where they are coming from. They should use a verification system like Steam, that is non-invasive and has an offline mode since, despite your efforts to boycott games that use DRM and several lawsuits, they keep putting it in anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 7:33:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 8:04:08 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 8:04:48 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If you don't want to listen to the negative posts then why are you on this website? All you are is just another "whiney idiot" who can't understand why people are turned off to DRM. Well Duh. Maybe we won't be buying this game because it installs malware on our computers and has the potential to do damage to our machines. Did you ever think of that bright one? If you want us to buy your defectware then get rid of DRM. Did that ever occur to you? I guess not since you are a company man. You know and we know that DRM is not to prevent piracy so don't spout the company dogma to us. We have the money to buy your game if we like. You want our money then listen to what we are telling you. You don't want to listen then our money will be spent on companies that treat their customers better. Just remember, we are the customers with the money and you are the flunky that gets paid when we buy your product. Have a nice day.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 8:41:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 8:42:21 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Justin, I have no doubts at all that Far Cry 2 will be an amazing, groundbreaking game. However, I don't buy any products that are harmful to me, no matter how attractive they may be. SecuROM is an unnecessary invasion of my privacy and is totally powerless against piracy. Therefore, I can only assume that it has some sinister purpose. If Ubisoft released the game without this SecuROM DRM I wouldn't miss a heartbeat in buying it. For now, I shall wait a couple of years for the DRM to be removed and purchase it then. The great mistake that these game publishers are making is the assumption that their marketing works! They feel that their game is so amazing that nothing would prevent a person from buying it. Well I have news for them, myself and just about everyone I know will not get it because of SecuROM. We all have many other forms of entertainment to enjoy and Far Cry 2 is not the only exciting thing happening right now. I was planning to get 4 copies of this game as Christmas presents. I suggest Ubisoft think hard about which customers they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 10:04:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 10:05:43 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 10:06:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 10:08:31 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Justin, do you believe that SecuROM prevents piracy and if not, what does it prevent and how does this benefit Ubisoft / EA etc. and ultimately the customer?

I would like to hear more on your side of the argument as many people have just blasted me for hating SecuROM, but never actually provided me with good reasons why I should accept it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 10:40:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 10:47:23 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
Since the Far Cry team has spent countless hours on perfecting this game, and since it has been proven that DRM does not prevent piracy, an intelligent person would conclude that the Far Cry team would want as many customers as possible paying money for their game. This is not what is happening. In fact more and more gamers are refusing to buy Far Cry and canceling their pre orders. So Justin, I pose a question to you. Would you rather have as many customers as possible buying this game or would you want the gamers to wait a few years to purchase it or never purchase it? Unless of course you think that gamers will fall into the trap of renting the game after the installs expire, which gamers will never do. I will gladly spend my money on this game and any other game they make if the DRM is removed. Until then there are many other things I can spend my money on. Oh and if I called you a company shill then I apologize. However calling people names is a company policy and you fit right in with their policy of name calling. Ditch the condescending name calling and people won't take you for a company man.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 11:40:16 AM PDT
J. Kovac says:
Spore = The number one pirated game in history, and a week before it was released. Enough said.

To properly compare airport security to SecuROM, the airlines would not only have to check your bags and have you walk through a metal detector, they would have to place a tracking bug in you bags, give you at LEAST three cavity searches, and only allow you to fly that airline 3 times (4 if you begged enough).

Quit arguing for the sake of argument. If we allow these companies to continue to screw us over and invade our privacy like this, just how far will they push? What's the next step after SecuROM? That's the scary part.

Stand up for yourself man.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 1:19:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 10:18:53 PM PDT
Scott Beaton says:
SecuROM breaks many U.S. laws as stated before.

Unisoft and EA are hacking you computer, only you have the right to be an Admin on your computer, not them. They do not have the right to have more Admin power them you, ON YOUR COMPUTER.

Try installing some spyware on EA or Unisoft servers and see what happens, Feds will be crashing through your front door.

SecuROM, take over you computer and will block over programs and hardware, YOU OWN from working. I have had these issues after getting Crysis a year ago. After installing Crysis my DVD Lite writer stopped working on my Vista hard drive in my computer. I booted to my XP hard drive and it work fine. I had to re-install Vista to correct the issue. I never gave EA the RIGHT to stop my hardware I own, from working. This is hacking and against the law. You can't uninstall SecuROM, that make's it a virus and you have the right to uninstall anything on your computer, you own it not EA or Unisoft.

EA management and Unisoft management should be in jail, you would be if you try this sort of thing.

I also have the right to resale, this is the law, the contract this EA or Unisoft is void, because you are not shown this contract on purchase. There contracts will never hold up in court because you have the right to resale something you purchased.

I can keep going on but I have things to do, I see more lawsuits in the nexts week over SecuROM. EA is already facing three lawsuits over SecuROM. Sony and Unisoft have already lost is court, last year over the same issue. I guess Unisoft will be back is court, I hope EA and Unisoft lose millions with these lawsuits.

The console will be next, there just starting this fight with the smallest group of gamers. I wonder how console gamer will fair when their games will only work in two consoles, them you have to buy a new game. The version of FryCry2 has already been pirated for the 360 and can be downloaded off the internet.

SecuROM does nothing to stop pirating of games, it just stops resale and create more sale when you run out of installs and they can shut off there server any time and to force you to buy there next game. Do not trust anything Unisoft or EA tell you, there blowing smoke at you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 6:21:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2011 8:42:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 8:35:29 PM PDT
Sinclare says:
Yea, add me to the list that has to skip this one and I really really want it. This new drm is really going to save me a lot of money this year too. I was going to buy My sims for my son and several other EA titles but so far it looks like Fallout 3 will be my only purchase. There is no way I'm letting securom on my computer again; not to mention the rent a game activations. I am a working adult and buy whatever I want and the one thing I don't want is securom DRM activations.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 8:51:30 PM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Fallout 3 is now my top game. Far Cry 2 was my top game until SecuROM appeared. They confirmed that Fallout 3 would only have the classic disc check and no other draconian limited activation nonsense. Great news!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Far Cry 2 - PC forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Oct 15, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Far Cry 2 - PC
Far Cry 2 - PC by Ubisoft (Windows Vista / XP)
2.8 out of 5 stars (410)