Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on November 24, 2004
ConAir's last flat iron was a big fat lemon. I loathed it so much, I refused to buy another one by this company. I went out and spent about eighty bucks for a HAI straighter instead. It's worth every penny, believe you me. But then I tried ConAir's new ceramic straightener. And man, was I floored.

I had to borrow a friend's, since I'd left mine at home. What a surprise! Heats up quickly, and hair glides smoothly past the plates, leaving hair not only straight, but shiny. I had gone to sleep with just-from-the-shower wet hair and woke up with a horrible resmeblance to some feathery 70's boufant do. A sweep over with the Conair ceramic flat iron left me with soft, shiny and straight hair in less than 15 minutes. I've had nothing but frizzy trouble since moving to SW Florida, and my hair refuses to go flat without the use of a good flat iron. I'm happy to say this particular ConAir flat iron makes up for a multitude of past sins, and doesn't put a dent in your budget. Comes with 2 brush attachments that slide on the side of the plates. Also features a "power" and "turbo power" button, which I can only assume means "turbo" is volcano-like hot, which is exactly what it felt like.
77 comments|250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2003
Don't waste your 50 bucks on those salon professional ceramic flat irons. this one is just as good for half the price. i only spent 22 bucks on this great item and it works like a dream. i've always had frizzy hair and the amazing ceramic heated iron really straightens in no time. Ceramic flat irons are the way to go. I highly recommend this to anyone.
on March 24, 2012
I used this for the first time today and the verdict is: meh. I have thick, wavy, course hair, and it doesn't work great. I owned a CHI before which was GREAT. It broke only after a month because it fell off my sink, and because I didn't buy it off of their site any limited warranty was void. Please, I implore you, go out and get a CHI or other high-end straightener if you have a lot of hair like me. A lot of people on these reviews are saying that this straightener is just as good as expensive ones. It's not, not if you have hair like me. I straightened half of HALF of my hair, and that alone took ten minutes. To do all of my hair would take 30-45 minutes, which was pretty typical of my previous straighteners (CHI took 20-25 minutes).

Basically, this straightener is fine, but it's JUST a $20 flat iron, so please expect that. It doesn't get much hotter than any other flat iron, and the 2" plates don't add much to the experience. Plus, because of my hair, it was left a little frizzy, but I think using a product before straightening can fix this. My review is this: if you've ever owned a really nice flat iron, you'll be disappointed. If not, then you'll be happy with it.

EDIT: I have to edit this review because it actually IS better than any other $20 flat iron. I finally sat down and straightened my frizzy, curly hair beginning to end. Verdict: It did take me a very long time to straighten my hair (40 minutes), but if you're just relaxing watching TV anyway, not a huge deal. It's always taken me this long with other straighteners. What's different: The thing that sold me on this is that I straightened my hair 2 days ago, have slept on it, have had it blown around by the wind, have had it in hot AND cold weather (it's crazy in IL right now), and it still looks the SAME. I have not had to touch up my hair ONCE since I straightened it on Saturday, and that hasn't happened since my CHI. I still want a new CHI to cut straightening time in half, but anyone that has thinner or less wavy hair is really, really gonna love this because it really will only take minutes for them. Blew me away!
review image review image
on February 22, 2005
My mom was kind of skeptical when getting this for me, because we got a crappy Conair straightener that didn't work at all a couple years ago. Let me tell you, Conair has come a long way since the crappy days of that other hair straightener (you may have seen it, it's purpley-blue and has crimper and stuff.) Anyway, this one works really well and heats up really fast. I wear my hair in braids sometimes (I have really thick, curly, unmanageable hair, keep in mind) and it will straighten the HUGE waves in less than 5 minutes for my whole head. I love this thing. I recommend it to anyone!
on August 9, 2007
I bought this product two weeks ago in a pinch (my old flat iron was destroyed after being used as a chew toy), and it has stopped functioning altogether. The "Power" and "Turbo" lights will illuminate with no problem, but the plates don't heat up. I'm assuming I was unfortunate enough to get my hands on a defective model, but buyer beware: Sometimes $20 for a flat iron is just too good to be true.
on August 29, 2005
I read alot of reviews about this particular straightener. It seemed that everyone was in agreement that it worked very well. I bought one for around 18 dollars, and was SO shocked that it worked dramatically better than a 150 dollar model i hade purchased a year earlier. I have very thick and long wavy hair, and this made it stick straight after only going through it once. ITS AMAZING! My hair has never looked like this in my entire life. I didn't think it possible, but I have pin straight hair! THIS THING IS AMAZING!!
on October 11, 2004
I have a-little-past-shoulder-length, curly, blond hair. I have bought numerous straighteners to try to make it straight, and this is the only one that has truly worked. It stays straight when it is humid, and it has these neat combs that attach to it. The boar bristle one makes hair shiny and the comb untangles hair for the fastest straightening. It heats up in no time flat. Straightening my hair used to take an hour or so. Now, it takes 15 minutes. I let it heat for a minute and it is ready to go. It has up to 25 heat settings, too. For convenience, I leave mine on 25. It heats up the fastest and takes the least time. With other straighteners, I have had problems with product buildup on the plates, affecting the heat distribution. This one does not have one single speck of product anywhere on the plates. I am a teenager and I don't have a job, so I watch my money and how I spend it. This is the best money I have ever spent. I higly recommend this product!
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2005
I bought this hair straightener about a year ago for around 30$ and i find that it works great. I have very thick long hair and i never ever pulled my hair with it. Im not sure if people are using it right. I even had friends who use salon ones for 100-200$ and they are pretty impressed on how well it works. also if you want really nice straight hair blow dry it with a large round brush first, even people with expensive ones do that first. also i use it almost every day and i dont have damaged hair.
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2006
I have thick, long hair with a wave in it. I've tried just about everything to straighten it (and I don't care how good you are with a brush; straightening your hair with a blow dryer is impossible.)

This thing WORKS. Wow! Heats up fast, glides through your hair like a dream, and the result is impossibly shiny, stick-straight hair!

I can't recommend this highly enough, esp. for the price. A true bargain!
on August 19, 2004
I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with this straightener. From the way the other review were written, I assumed it worked like a miracle for only 22$. I made up a little test of my own to see how good it was. I washed my hair, waited until it dried into a frizzy puff, then put in braids and slept on it. The next morning, I had frizz all over and huge puffy waves.

The straightener took only minutes to heat up, a huge plus. I love the huge plates so I can straighten faster. I first tried a temperature of 10. It worked beautifully on the fine, thin parts of my hair, but on the coarser, thicker parts, it wasn't enough. I set it on 15 and straightened. The waves disappeared immediately but the hair was still a little puffy. I ran the straightener down again and I had shiny straight hair but more volume than I bargained for.

Pros: 1) 2 minute heat up time 2) 25 temperature settings 3) huge plates 4) made hair shiny 5) straightened hair great 6) tamed some frizz 7) really shows off the layers in my hair 8) 2 year warranty.

Cons: 1) Gave my hair too much volume (but that could just be my hair) 2) couldn't tame all the frizz 3) i keep bumping the temperature dial on the iron, thus making the iron heat up all over again, but I think I can just scotch tape it so it doesn't move.

All in all a great value, especially for the price. I think it would benefit those with curly hair but it MIGHT be a bit of a disappointment to thick hair.