Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

VINE VOICEon May 6, 2004
When searching for products for more Advanced language learning, I am always amazed at the dearth of products available. It is always easy to find beginner products of all shapes and sizes, advanced products are much trickier.
I believe that this cd is a good INTERMEDIATE tool for anyone who has been studying for 6 months to 4 years. Obviously it will depend on how far you have advanced in that time. You should at least be familiar with future tense verb constructions, preterit and imperfect verb constructions and pronouns.
This 8 audio cd set is great for intermediate learners of Spanish. I have been studying for 4 years, and I might be a little too advanced for this product, but I am still learning something, and the exercises on the cds are a nice review. It is better than nothing in the car.
Each of the cd lessons covers a certain topic, family, professions etc. For each cd there is vocabulary relating the topic, a grammar lesson or two, questions and answers, and a longer audio comprehension section that lets you listen to a conversation with translation, then without translation, and then asks you questions about the conversation, in Spanish of course. There is less of the translation 'word for word' in English of everything said on the cds, so this is definitely for more advanced users. I also like the fact that the lessons are topical, thus facilitating learning.
One interesting features is that this CD included the "vosotros" or third person plural familiar usage. This verb form is used in Spain and many language products will simply leave it out, as it is not used south of the U.S. border.
I only give it 4 stars instead of 5, because I believe that it should say "Intermediate Spanish" instead of "Advanced". Also, the Spanish that is being spoken in the conversations is slower than "normal" Spanish, but like I said it is an intermediate cd and a great start to more advanced fluency. Overall the set is an excellent learning tool at a great price!
on June 23, 2005
I bought this advanced set because I found the basic set very useful. I was disappointed to discover that no audio course guide (transcription) was included. This transcription was the most useful part of the set for me. So if you think that both products will have one, just because they both say "new & improved" and have almost identical covers, don't be fooled.

Other than this omission, the disks continue the interesting and effective style of the basic set, although "intermediate" would be a better description.
on June 6, 2005
I used both the beginner an d "advanced" cd's in this set in my car to and from work. Yes, she does speak a bit slowly, but not so slowly that it does not sound conversational. The pronunciations are very clear and the explanations of grammar in both Spanish and English are very useful (st least to this English teacher!) I have only been studying Spanish for about 8 months and found these to be just at my level. I agree that they are not actually advanced at all. It would be nice if the "Instant Immersion" folks came up with an actual advanced or advanced intermediate set of CD's. I'd like to move on and put my commute time to better use!
on November 13, 2005
I spent a year in Latin America and was looking for something to provide me with reinforcement of advanced grammatical concepts and listening and speaking practice. I couldn't believe how basic these CD's are--definitely not advanced. They were useless for me, and I gave them to my husband who has only taken one continuing-education-type Spanish classe, and has learned mostly through listening to me and through a couple of trips abroad. They were great for his level (beginner-intermediate).
on October 9, 2006
As many others have commented, this is indeed intermediate. The first CD actually says, "Welcome to the Spanish Intermediate Series." Another thing I noticed is that most of the listenings are spoken by a woman who is not actually a native speaker. Her accent is OK and she clearly knows the language but, my god, why not hire a native speaker? There are native speakers who do the "real life" situational dialogues, and they are quite good. But most of the time you're listening to her. Luckily I checked this out from the local library for free and promptly returned it.

It doesn't seem badly put together but if you're looking for an advanced audio course, this isn't it. Try Living Language's Ultimate Spanish Advanced. It's MUCH better.
on December 13, 2009
This is Anna Rivera editor of the Learning Spanish Products Reviews site and author of Anna Rivera's 1000 Plus Most Powerful Spanish Words (Spanish Edition) and Anna Rivera's 800 Plus Most Powerful Spanish Phrases (Spanish Edition).

Although this course has the word "Advanced" in its title. I would not consider it 100% for advanced students.

On the first CD you learn words such as and "el hijo" and "la hermana" and "el tio." These are definitely not the type of vocabulary words that an advanced student is looking to learn. These are vocabulary words for a beginner.

However, on the second CD the pace is picked up somewhat and more complicated vocabulary phrases are introduced. Some true and false quizes are presented in Spanish. These may be helpful quizes to improve listening comprehension.

One negative point of this course is that it does not cover colloquial or everyday conversational Spanish. I say that because the course teaches words such as "la madre" and "el padre," instead of "mama" and "papa." By the way, I intentionally omit accent marks from my reviews because they sometimes appear as strange looking characters in my Amazon reviews.

If you are a beginner student of Spanish approaching the intermediate level or if you are an intermediate level student, you may also find this course helpful. This course is so reasonably priced and you can also study with this course while on-the-go. On the other hand, if you are an advanced student you should ask yourself what are you expecting to achieve with this course before purchasing it.

Considering the price, you may still want to purchase it just for the sole purpose of adding it to your learning-Spanish library. Who knows? Perhaps, after using these CDs you will not agree with me and will have discovered that these CDs were beneficial for you even though you are clearly an advanced level student. Considering the price, you really don't have much to lose.

But if you are an advanced student and your primary objective is to improve your listening comprehension (and not learn additional grammar), and you are looking for something in the same price range . . . then my recommendation is to purchase Immersion Plus Spanish. Although Immersion Plus Spanish is far from a perfect Spanish course, I would recommend it over this one for the advanced student who is looking to improve her listening comprehension. The speakers in Immersion Plus Spanish speak at a more natural and realistic speed than the speakers in this course, Instant Immersion Spanish Advanced. And like this course, Immersion Plus Spanish, is a bargain for the price.

As this review suggests, I have mixed feeling about this course. One positive thing that I must add is that this course does have an interesting method of improving listening comprehension that you will not find in Immersion Plus Spanish. In addition to the true-or-false questions in Spanish, you will also hear dialogs completely in Spanish, and then you will be asked in Spanish to answer questions - in Spanish - about the dialog that you just heard. My only complaint is that there are only a handful of these type of exercises in this course. There should be more.
on April 28, 2015
Exactly what I wanted. Thanks to other reviews, I knew it was intermediate, not advanced.
on April 28, 2008
The product was exactly what I expected as far as the quality of recording and presentation are concerned. Works quite well with my other product sourced through Amazon (Olympus recorder).

Judging from the level at which it begins however, I expected a higher level of difficulty. It is obviously pitched for the intermediate level person needing a revision. So I empathise somewhat with the reason.
on July 10, 2010
IN THIS AUDIO, YOU CAN HEAR THE LADY SWALLOWING, BREATHING AND YOU CAN EVEN HEAR THE SPIT IN HER MOUTH. IT IS DISGUSTING ON ALL LEVELS. IM SURPRISED THEY DID NOT DELETE THESE SOUNDS WHEN DOING THE FINAL EDITITING. ALL I CAN HEAR IS HER TAKING DEEP BREATHS AND SWALLOWING VERY THICK SPIT. EITHER THE LADY IS DEHYDRATED OR IS DIABETIC! EW...