Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on May 20, 2012
It had never occurred to me that I might want to take instant photos myself, but I instinctively found myself 'one-clicking' to buy Instant Love having followed the authors' photo feeds on Instagram. Now that I've read the book I am bidding on cameras on eBay and I can't wait to experiment! This book will be a lovely companion for the journey. It is technically helpful without being inaccessible. There are many, many beautiful photos and a lovely section on how to creatively display your instant photos. For someone completely new to photography I found the chapters on lighting and composition particularly useful.
on May 24, 2012
I was really excited to get this book and it didn't disappoint. I think both newbies and established photographers will love it. For beginners there are great sections on each type of camera, film and instructions on use. For people already familiar with instant cameras I think they will enjoy the technical tips and the inspiring photos and stories.

I also have to say I love the physical nature of the book. It's a beautifully printed book that feels great in my hand. It's also the perfect size to slip into my purse and carry along.

Thank you, ladies for making such an amazing book and inspiring a new generation of instant photographers!
on May 19, 2012
Most books on instant photography are technical and written by men, and Instant Love was such a refreshing read. Photography in a dying format is hard to find these days but with such exclusivity in the art form, I was worried the book would be pretentious and seem like a long blog post from the writers. It's not. It's a beautifully curated photography book on the technicality without belittling the reader. I'm sure if I took the time to find all the information online, I would but Instant Love is a reference book that saves me time, energy and inspires.
on August 17, 2012
A beautiful, impassioned, concise and clearly written guide to photography--with great photos of the authors' own that will convince you you might find a visual style as compelling as theirs. Buyer beware: you'll end up taking lots of instant photographs and find yourself waiting impatiently for the authors to write another book on this subject. That's one test of a terrific book: you can't wait for the sequel.
on May 25, 2012
This book has a lot of great Polaroid art,
Though for me She hit pause studios is the
Highlight of the book. Dreamlike Polaroids of whimsical girls and surfing. What else do you need. The book introduced me to my new favorite artist and led me to spending hours on the site [...] and ordering 6 images!!!!! Definitely worth the price and hopefully you will discover a new favorite artist as I did. Enjoy
on January 7, 2013
As an avid photographer, I enjoyed this book even though I have not held a Polaroid in years. Great overall feel to this book, the authors really know their topic. Appreciate the resources too.
on May 25, 2013
The first quarter of this book is mostly about different types of Polaroid cameras - most of which are either extremely expensive or so rare as to be nigh impossible to find. That made for a quick skim.

But then they dive into the actual process of instant photography, which was interesting and quirky. Peppered with glorious examples from their own work, they provide clear instructions on how to get great shots with instant cameras, and how to handle the randomness of the art type. I quite enjoyed that.

One other note: instant photography is not cheap. On a modest budget, it might be prohibitively expensive. The authors assume a wealthy bias, and advise the reader to shoot shoot shoot (which is needed for practice, I understand), but I couldn't help but flinch at how costly that must end up - especially with most film being rare and hard to find.

The final quarter of the book deals with various projects for displaying and protecting your pictures once taken. Not up my alley, but good info for craftier folk. Topped off with an extensive resources section, to boot. All in all, a quick read and a good resource itself.
on June 5, 2013
I have recently become enthralled with the beauty of all types of instant photography and this book as been a handy tool to have around! The first section about the cameras is a sort of instruction manual, so if you end up purchasing or coming across any of these cameras you will know how they function and what models you may be more interested in adding to your collection than others. There is information on what batteries and film every model takes to tips on taking great shots. The resources section in the back is full of great websites and artists if you're still hungry for more instant information! I've found it very helpful as a reference even after finishing it.
on June 18, 2013
Susannah Conway has a way of writing that is just beautiful to me. This book has a good solid history on instant cameras. The photos that are in the book are so pretty. I could tell that Susannah really has a passion for photography and I actually used this book to write a report in my "History of Photography" class - there's that much information included. Definitely worth the price, just to see her photos, but the knowledge she has is amazing. Who knew that learning about instant cameras could be so fun?!
on January 17, 2015
I was hoping for an informative book on instant photography technique. This book felt more like a compilation of artistic pictures without much technical advice. It's a nice book, just not what I was looking for.