on April 3, 2010
After having read the 2 previous books in the "Instant" series by Ms. Shalvis, I was eagerly anticipating the release of this book and I was not disappointed. TJ Wilder is an extreemly sexy hero and Harley is a fantastic heroine. TJ has never understood why Harley avoids him and why he is so attracted to her. It all goes back to when they were in high school. Harley has never let herself get near TJ because she's had a crush on him for so long and is afraid that they don't want the same things out of life. At the beginning of this book they don't, TJ is looking for something more along the lines of a
temporary romance, he's more of a live life for now type of guy. Harley wants someone who will be with her forever. As they spend more time with each other they realize how much they have in common and also grow to realize that what they think they want out of life...isn't necessarily what they really want. This book has a very satisfying ending and it was fun to see how the series wrapped up. Can't wait to see what Ms. Shalvis writes for us next.
on April 2, 2010
4 1/2 stars

This is the third in a series about the three Wilder brothers who live in Northern California and run an adventure company. Both of T.J.'s brother have found love and he is the last hold out. He is getting a little annoyed with all the sappiness around the lodge and can't wait for his next trip--they keep him away for months and it keeps him from settling down. Plus, it keeps him away from Harley. He's known her since they were kids and for years they've been arguing and bickering with each other. The thing is, he's been hiding a crush on her most of that time, too. Harley keeps her distance from T.J. just as much. She wants forever and knows that T.J. isn't a forever kind of guy.

Oh my...I loved this book! The other 2 Wilder brothers were hot, but T.J. and Harley just about burned the pages up. The flirting and build up was so fun to read. Some of it was funny and some had me actually feeling sorry for T.J. The coyote story was a bit of a let down and I would have liked a little bit more about it, but it did not detract from the romance between T.J. and Harley.

My biggest disappointment with this book is that there are no more Wilder brothers! Wah! I loved them all and wish there were more to read about. I am going to miss them all as well as Annie--gotta love the Aunt with an Attitude.

I will continue to say that I am a huge Shalvis fan, so I am probably biased, but this really is a good book. I loved the series and was so happy to see T.J. and Harley finally get their book. I recommend reading the other two books first, but it won't hurt to read them out of order.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Originally posted at: [...].

Don't tell my husband, but I've fallen in love with another man. His name is T. J. Wilder, and he's the incredible hero in Instant Temptation.

I've completely enjoyed all of the "Instant" books by Jill Shalvis, so I didn't expect this book to be any different. Thankfully, it met and actually surpassed all my expectations. I literally could not put this book down. I skipped work, I cooked dinner with the book in hand, I even stayed up well past my bedtime in an attempt to get to the end. And the ending was worth it all. It made me choke up and get weepy, it was that packed with emotion.

This book was all about internal conflict. Both the heroine, Harley, and our yummy hero, TJ, have abandonment issues. Neither is willing to take that last step and open themselves up to being completely vulnerable to hurt again. They've known each other pretty much forever, and there's an underlying affection between them that we know will easily bloom into love, especially considering the sexual tension that's so hot it made the pages sizzle beneath my fingertips.

The author throws in some external conflict, but it's nothing substantial - we know the fact that Harley is casually dating another man isn't going to truly figure into things, even when she makes a list of why he's so much better for her than TJ. It's obvious that TJ is the only man she wants. The only man she's ever really wanted.

I think that's what made this story so amazing to me. The emotional angst of the two main characters is so honest and real, so completely believable and heart-wrenching. TJ is absolutely incredible. He's not perfect, by any means. He has a temper, he's arrogant, and has trouble staying in one place. But his heart is so huge, it all but bursts out of his chest. He cares, really cares about Harley - as a friend first, and as a woman, too. He doesn't want to hurt her, and he doesn't want to be hurt.

They want their relationship to be all about sex, but it's clear to the reader (if not to them, at least not at the beginning) that it's about so much more. Don't get me wrong, the sex is hot, hot, hot but it's also incredibly tender.

I can't express how much this book affected me. I own the other two, but haven't picked them back up to read again.... not yet, even though they're really quite good. This book? As soon as I finish writing this review, I'm giving it another spin.

If you like your romance with an enormous amount of heart and plenty of heat, grab a copy of this book. In fact, do yourself a favor: read the entire series... and enjoy the fact that Ms. Shalvis saved the best for last.
on May 21, 2010
Instant Temptation by Jill Shalvis is a wickedly funny and smoking hot story.

Harley Stephens needs an upcoming trek into the wilds of Wishful, CA to go off without a hitch. Her heart is set on getting the internship as a research biologist. This trip to check on her coyotes will seal the deal. One major problem is someone is killing her test subjects. Now the trip has taken a deadly turn. TJ Wilder has stuck his nose in her business and is insisting that she won't be going alone. This is just the icing on the cake for Harley. Seems she never got out of her head her one night with TJ and to make things worse he doesn't remember it at all.

TJ Wilder pushes his self to limit everyday. A tragedy in his past has him feeling he doesn't deserve to be loved. He volunteers himself to watch out for Harley on her research trip. TJ didn't plan on being this attracted to her. He has always had feelings for Harley but could never figure out why she was so distant at times.

Spending so much time together has the truth of their one night coming to light. Both Harley and TJ give into their mutual desires but Harley thinks it can't last since the research job is out of the state. But TJ has other plans.

Instant Temptation puts the finishing touches on a sensational series by Jill Shalvis. TJ and Harley's bickering covers up a searing passion, which neither can ignore. Their relationship also has a good basis in friendship. This adds another layer to a delightful story. It was fun watching these two fall in love. In my book you can't go wrong picking up a Jill Shalvis novel.
on July 10, 2011
Damn this book was hot! Again, as I've said in past reviews about Jill Shalvis, she has an amazing ability to write sexy books that aren't all about sex. She's got the tension between characters, emotional AND sexual, down pat. Harley and TJ are amazing together, even while both of them are all about temporary. They have great chemistry and genuinely like each other...even as they struggle to forget about past mistakes. I think this book was my favorite of the three "instant" books and TJ was definitely my favorite brother. He was just trying to make up for his past, uh, indiscretions, and ended up falling in love instead...much to his horror. Harley was the perfect woman for him...seemingly strong and independent, she hides deep inside the desire to have someone take care of her, at least once in a while. TJ is the perfect guy to do so.

I was so sorry to see the Wilder brothers' stories come to an end, but the end was satisfying, as several continuing story lines got wrapped up. I'm off to find another of Shalvis's trilogies to see if she can carry over her great writing to a totally different set of characters. I'm betting she totally can!
on March 21, 2012
I love this series, but this book was a disappointment. The romance could have been there, had Harley been less of a prissy, uptight brat. Honestly, I couldn't figure out why she liked him, other than that she thought he was drop-dead gorgeous. She was shallow and annoying. TJ was sweet and funny and wanted to make the relationship work. I don't know why, seeing as how Harley only wanted sex with him. She didn't want him to break her heart and was afraid to give in, but there was no evidence that she actually felt anything but lust for him. I kind of felt bad for TJ and thought Harley was stupid for having sex with him knowing he was kind of tipsy when they were younger.
on November 22, 2011
If you've read this book, you basically know how the other two stories in this series go. Same idea but with a different brother and different lady...predictable. The story was romantic and provided entertainment, but I wanted sizzle and didn't get it. It helps to read the books in order, but Jill does provide some background information so the reader is not completely lost in case they weren't read in order. Would say this book is just...ok.
on September 9, 2013
If you've read the first two books, then you know that Hayley is a part-time student working as a mechanic/tow truck driver for the small town of Wishful. TJ is the old son of three boys that are co-owners of the Wilder Adventure (adventures include things like snowmobiling, hiking, heli-skiing, kayaking, etc). These are hot sexy outdoor boys that do it all.
The other two books briefly glance upon the love-hate relationship b/w Haley and TJ. They seem to be very sexually attracted to each other, but Haley continues to shut TJ down and the bickering b/w them is now legendary.
This book is about their relationship and how they are finally able to make the leap to committing to each other.

I enjoyed the first book, but this one I REALLY enjoyed. The dialogue/banter is great. I love Hayley's sass and TJ is just funny, confident and oozing hotness.
Hayley is a strong independent, sexy funny woman. She can kayak, hike in the wilderness (although starting fires isn't her forte) snowmobile, etc. She gives the boys a run for their money. She is not annoying about it, but she is very capable.

So what was so great about this book.
- The dialogue is much better than the other books. More banter, more wit, more sass. Humor. Depth. Much much better!!!
- More depth to the characters. You really get more insight into how they are feeling and the concerns they are experiencing. Felt much more connected to these H&h than the other books
- Love the honesty. Hate when character lie to keep their pride. Hayley especially was quick to be really honest about her attraction to TJ. She was pretty upfront with him. The reason for her annoyance with him was revealed fairly quickly. Thankfully the author didn't drag it out until the end!!
- The description of the wilderness,etc. Sounded beautiful.
- The other characters from the other books - enjoyed hearing updates from them and having them part of this book
- An epilogue! A first! Really loved it! Was only 4 months later - but still gave it the final closure I love
- Oh - and yes -the sex scenes are hawt hawt hawt.
- I really like both Hayley and TJ. They have such great character and are good people. No major flaws. No major broken emotional issues that take half the book to either reveal or to resolve.
- Love the teasing that goes on b/w: Brothers, Annie(the cook/aunt) and everyone else, H&h, spouses, etc. This is a super good-natured, good-humored book. You find a smile on your face quite a bit.
- You can read this as a stand alone book
- It has a great HEA
- No cliffhangers
- Sweet, easy, sexy and enjoyable- this is a 'light' romance! Don't read this expecting anything more than light. I expected light, and got it. :-)

This book is a wonderful wonderful book to read if you need something fun, easy and light hearted.
Will definitely re-read this one in the future.

Enjoy!
on October 11, 2010
I'm a big fan of Ms. Shalvis and I purchased this book based upon that fandom and the great reviews the book was getting. I was a little disappointed. I felt the love story, and the sex, were tepid at best. Harley came off to me as a slightly whiney, stubborn individual with issues, her sister Skye was completely annoying and TJ was supposed to be a sex god, but it was something I was told rather than felt. Caring, yes; but also a little immature. The story was okay; there was a bit of a mystery in the beginning of the book that showed some potential, but that was dropped by the end of the book. I wouldn't have minded it so much if the love story and the sex had packed a greater wallop, but I found both lacking. I really wanted to give the book 3 1/2 stars, but that option wasn't available.

All in all, it was a decent read, but not one of my favorites by Shalvis and I didn't enjoy it enough to go out and purchase the other two books in the series.
on August 10, 2013
I finished the trilogy because that's just what I do when I start one, but I found this one JUST a bit too much to believe. The conversations were pretty ridiculous (at times even laughable) and I just couldn't get behind the characters...Harley mostly, who lets her family absolutely walk all over her. Loved the descriptions of the outdoors (I may go for a hike right now) which kept it from being a total loss. Caution!