5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars from one of the top MC's
Fresh out of jail one of the top MC's ever in the game is back. After some legal troubles and being on the run for a while (and in that time releasing a compilation and making a name for him on the east coast in the mixtape circuit) Ras Kass is back and fresher then ever! Everyone who knows of Ras knows he has tons of potential but his albums are always barely better...
Published on December 7, 2005 by G$

3.0 out of 5 stars Ras Kass " Institutionalized"
Published on July 19, 2009 by Nathan J. Bland

5.0 out of 5 stars Best MC hands down...!!!, September 24, 2006
This review is from: Institutionalized (Audio CD)
Your favorite rapper is a Ras Kass Fan...!!! Need I say more... lol If anyone know how I can cop that Van gough now Golden Child... let me know...

3.0 out of 5 stars Ras Kass " Institutionalized", July 19, 2009
This review is from: Institutionalized (Audio CD)
If I was rating this album on lyrics alone - I'd give it 6 stars... but I think the production really brings this CD down. It's not bad, but Ras Kass is one of the greatest lyricists in hip hop and he deserves more. I know it's a mix CD, but it's really inconsistent from song to song. I feel like if he ( and so many other great lyricists ) kept their albums to just a few quality producers, you'd get stronger overall effort. If you like Ras Kass though, PICK THIS UP ( the lyrics alone are worth hearing ).

3.0 out of 5 stars Ras Kass "Institutionalized", February 8, 2007
This review is from: Institutionalized (Audio CD)
Love Rassy and is my fav emcee of all time but this was alright. I found that personally, his "Revenge of the Spit" mixtape has a longer play life with me. A handful of overall beastly tracks but most of the production was alright. Rassy delivers verbal venom as usual but we are waiting for the album with the whole package on the boards.

3.0 out of 5 stars just average, February 28, 2006
This review is from: Institutionalized (Audio CD)
This is just not his best, Ras Kass has always been a great lyricist but i feel this is average by standards. For other artist this would be great but for him this is pretty average and if he is going to continue to have subpar production then he will need to come with the lyrical prowness he exhibited on soul on ice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ras is out of touch, March 6, 2007
Yax Pac (Southern Cali) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Institutionalized (Audio CD)
Im a big Ras fan, ever since he dropped "Soul On Ice" I've been defending him and listening to his stuff

He's one of the best lyricist from the West, and a legend in the underground

In fact, he's solidified himself as the premiere lyrical genius from the West

However, as such I gotta call him out when his stuff is losing that touch that he had on his first joint

With that said, "Institutionalized" falls short of what Ras is capable of doing

First off, the beats are getting more and more commercial

As someone who started and has thrived in the underground, Ras should keep it real...

Most of "Institutionalized" has commercial beats, over commercial hooks

In addition, its got that wack R&B flavor to it...very much like your avg mainstream "rapper"

To your avg mainstream hiphop fan, that's fine, but true hiphop heads know that its not Ras' style

Although "Soul On Ice" had subpar beats, they made that album a classic, kuz instead of focusing on the beats, we listened and deciphered Ras' lyrics....the beats only complimented that dark and underground feel that the album carried

Therez about 3 or 4 songs that have good beats ("Expect Me" and "Shine"), the others are too commercial and boring

Second, too many guest artists...

I don't mind Krondon, Xzibit, and Crooked I who are real MCs

But when u got E-40, Killer Mike, Jellyroll, GUnit, and other wack artists...in addition to all the R&B singers, it screws up the image of an album

Not to mention, screws up Ras' style

Third, the subject matter

I've always been impressed with Ras' subject matter

He could spit about kicking with the boys, capitalism, car crashes, and just plain emceeing

But now he's imitating all the mainstream rappers

All the love joints that he has on this album take away his image he pushes in this album

In addition, he's focusing too much on the material posessions

We used to hear, from Ras, about how he could kill an MC with lines like this and that, but now we get how much money he gets, and his drinking, and f**king girls, and all that repetitive mainstream garbage

Ras is capable of making thought provoking music, I don't understand why he wants to focus on trivial s**t

Fourth and most importantly, his lyrics

For the most part, this album lacks Ras' legendary lyrics

His rhymes are too simple, too straightforward, and too mundane on "Institutionalized"

Im used to hearing Ras lyrics, that take you two or 3 times of repeating to understand (Ex: "Im walking on skulls, kuz Im two steps ahead")

It may be that he was pushing this joint out too fast, but this album leaves u wanting the Ras of old

To sum it up: any Ras fan that has "Soul On Ice" and has heard of "Goldyn Child" or "Van Gogh" or his old, early stuff will be disappointed

To new Ras fans, they'll be delighted

Half of this album is good, the other half bad

Nothing insane or amazing on this one

Best song: "Shine"

Best lyrical song: "Expect Me"

Best beat: "We run the streets"

Worst: Half of this album

Institutionalized
Institutionalized by Ras Kass (Audio CD - 2005)