Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on September 9, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, considering I had low expectations going in. I'm a fan of Wilber but have thought the previous attempts (A theory of everything and A integral vision) at presenting his theory for a broader audience were, frankly, horrible. This book which is basically written by three others writers (closely connected to Wilber) is probably the best introduction to why an integral approach to spirituality is important.
The book breaks down into important aspects of our selves that we can "work" on and explore. None of the content in itself is groundbreaking, if you're familiar with shadow work the section on it simply presents the basic, but it is lucidly written and well organized. The same goes for all the topics: body work, spiritual practices, mind (i.e. Wilber's integral theory)....though I was glad to see a nice section on devotional approaches or an integral theism, something that is often lacking in popular spiritual books.
The impact of the book was its overall scope, when I step back and really take in all the different practices and important aspect of our human life, its inclusive vision is beautiful and penetrating. The overall drift I got from the book: if you're transcending your limitations, be sure not to reject your simple and grounded humanity. If you're primarily working on psychological/physical improvement think about greater possibilities then simply improving your mortal identity.
If you take the book with a grain of salt, which I did, you will probably find a lot of useful and practical information (maybe even a little inspiration).The most annoying part of the book was that some of the language and design remind me of a computer course: technologies, modules, bubble notes: Am I studying for the SAT or what here?
22 comments|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2009
OK, it says that this book was written by three people (Terry Patten, Adam Leonard and Marco Morelli) and that Ken Wilber was only the meta-author, it is so strongly drenched in everything Wilber wrote before that he might as well have written it himself. The three co-authors are clearly very faithful disciples of Wilber's.
That said, I believe the book's contents are awesome. This is a very broad, yet deep, method of approaching development in all its aspects as an integral whole. If there is something I always believed in, even before I had read anything Wilber wrote or even knew he existed, it is development. Wilber's Integral Psychology is still my favourite book of his, but Integral Life Practice comes close, mainly due its sheer practicality. It does give you the basics of Integral Theory, but not in the depth that other books have done. Thankfully so, for all that is well-known stuff to those who know Wilber and need not be repeated in this book. It's about the practice and this book does everything to make the reader want to practice. From each of the four main modules (Body, Mind, Shadow, Spirit) to the numerous "additional" modules, all is aimed at making you do things and that is a welcome addition to all theoretical books that were written before on the subject. Whether you have plenty of time or not, there are always exercises that fit into your schedule. And all that is presented without any unnecessary links to religions that may not be your own.
Thankfully, by the way, the "Shadow" as it was introduced in "Integral Spirituality" is now reframed to be what it is: psychotherapy. I always found the Shadow as Wilber described it overrated, but am much more at peace with its application in this book and the confirmation that it is just an application of normal psychotherapy.
I was most happy with two things. First of all the chapter about Integral Ethics, which is something that I have been wondering about and had a hard time explaining to myself and others, but which is finally extensively described (albeit without practices) in one of the later chapters. Secondly, the fact that the book really makes you want to do this stuff, including making development plans ("ILP Blueprints") and tracking your progress. It even made me create a plan and follow through on it :-).
Greatest irritations are twofold as well. Firstly the frequent use of vague wording for the non-dual state: Suchness, I AMness, True Face, etc. I appreciate that such a state is hard to describe in clear words, but these words tell me nothing, even lead me away from the essence of non-duality. My second irritation is worse, though and has to do with the same subject: Wilber et al keep confusing the causal state (that of the Witness) with the non-dual state, which, specifically in the Spirit module, is annoying. Back in 2005 already, The International Journal of Transpersonal Studies published a paper by Burton Daniels called "Nondualism and the Divine Domain" where this is made very clear. That paper is really good and goes much further in the definition of non-duality than Wilber ever went.
Anyway, this book is worth five stars out of five for me. Anyone who really wants to work on their own development and do it comprehensively should get this book and put it into practice.
22 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2010
In short, I have read several of Ken's books and am in the middle of listening to the Kosmic Consciousness CD Series. I was looking forward to this book and basically bought it because I wanted to start on an Integral Life Practice.

First off, this book is for people with zero history with Integral Theory. I say that because at least half of the content is talking about the value of integral theory and the basic tenants of the theory. Then it briefly skims practices that you can go into through-out the book. So every few pages or so there is an exercise. The book is not organized for you to quickly identify practices and create an integral practice. Also, I don't find any mention of any other practices specifically. In other words, why are there no mention of other great resources, like meditation or yoga. Instead, we just find a list of generic terms that don't point to any living or deepening traditions.

After reading the book, I find out that there is a DVD Set, called Integral Life Practice Starter Kit. So if you are a beginner of Integral Theory, this book would be a 4.5 Star and perfect for you. If you are not...then I would give this a 2 star. I am not sure who this book was written for.
22 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2008
This book is truly a gift to humanity. It contains simple yet essential practices for those looking to take the leap of faith into the next stage of human consciousness and evolution. It is written intelligently yet it's tone is warm, friendly, and easy-to understand. The team of writers challenge and engage us not just to think about ways to improve our lives, but to actually practice those ways, to do and be those ways. The writers give us a dynamic and effective tool to actualize our true and widest and highest potentials.

The book distills a variety of powerful techniques and information from ancient traditions and the latest cutting-edge technologies into one short, sweet, and potent read. I especially liked the examples they give on how to start your own Integral Life Practice (ILP). This book is a great addition to the Integral Life Practice Starter Kit It expands on many of the products included in the kit.

I think that this book will attract a larger and broader audience than Ken Wilber's previous works did. It is sure to change and transform many people lives. Can't wait to see what Ken and the folks at Integral have in store for the future. This book is highly recommended.
on December 21, 2008
The Integral Life Practice book has the potential to launch many into higher levels of spiritual understanding, health, relationships, community, and consciousness.

It has the most comprehensive and up-to-date sections on mind, body, and spirit work, and also includes a chapter on the "shadow" work that elaborates what Wilber described in [ASIN:1570627436 No Boundary: Eastern and Western Approaches to Personal Growth]. Shadow work, in case you don't know, is a process for ending obsessions, stress, the blame game, projections, etc. It can lead to tremendous psychological freedom. Just buying this book for the shadow process alone is worth it.

It is the most intelligent, grounded, and sensitive personal and transpersonal growth book I've come across in my all my decades of practice. It has no comparison.
on March 8, 2013
Would highly advise purchasing the print version. Charts and graphs cannot be read on the Kindle version. Great book for learning the Integral Life Practice, just get the book in print form.
on October 19, 2008
well done. ken wilber's work gets an excellent rendering here. comprehensive without dumbing down some very complex material, this book shares some of the specifics of integral theory brought to life. enjoyed it---left me feeling enthusiastic to practice the various 'modules' to experience the benefits.
on October 30, 2008
After reading a number of Ken Wilber's books and attending an univerisity class discussing his works I was ready for some practical advice on how to incorporate Ken's teachings into my Life.

I just completed reading and have started to put it into practice. The book summarizes Ken's teachings nicely and has many Gold Star practices for getting stared. For me, this is exactly what I needed.
on September 22, 2008
There's so much fragmentation in spirituality now days its a sweet refreshment to find a book that integrates body, mind, spirit and shadow practices in a seamless, clear and understandable fashion. Read it, pick up the concepts presented, and practice. In doing so the proof is in the pudding, and you'll be well on your way to experiencing an extraordinarily rich life.
on December 17, 2009
Any book that manages to summarize the most important teachings of Sigmund Freud in one short paragraph, is off to a fantastic start in my mind.

I could say mountains about Integral Life Practice, but I will try to summarize it in a nutshell: ILP collects zounds of practices from many different cultures and traditions, boils them down into their essential core value, and presents them in bite-sized activities and thought exercises that are easy to understand and perform, but are incredibly effective and meaningful. The book is geared towards the busy adult with little time on their hands, and ensures that you can experience an effective and well-rounded life practice taking as little as 20 minutes out of your day in all.

ILP includes chapters with readings and exercises relating to your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health, and more. In all it is a very thorough presentation of techniques for healthy growth and healthy living. Warning: The exercises presented in this book will challenge you and may ask you to ask questions about yourself which you are uncomfortable with. If you would have chosen the "Blue pill" in the Matrix, ILP will be uncomfortable (but probably still very valuable) for you.