5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, but six cores not for everyone
Published 13 months ago by AK

3.0 out of 5 stars Intel is great....... but it comes with a high expense
This is one of the best processors on the market. If you are building with a budget I would go with a cheaper intel cpu or get one of AMDs CPUs. Intel makes great processors but with the limited amount of cores I feel they rant as future proof.

GET THE CPU IF U HAVE THE MONEY
Published 9 months ago by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, but six cores not for everyone, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Intel Core i7-4930K Processor - BX80633I74930K (Personal Computers)
This is a very fast processor that can handle multiple programs simultaneously with ease. It is, however, significantly more expensive than CPUs that have less cores but those cores of which are just as fast; e.g. the cores of the 4770K are comparable in speed, the difference is that the 4770K has four cores while the 4930K has six. Caution, if it is not your habit to either have many things going on at once (multiple tabs in Chrome don't count) OR use video/audio/designer editing software, the performance boost of multiple cores is relatively trivial compared to the performance of a CPU with cores of the same speed, just fewer cores; e.g. the 4770K. That all being said, this CPU won't disappoint you, and if you plan to keep it for a long time, the (for most people) current overkill of six cores will let your system age better as more programs (especially cutting edge games) are coded for the use of multiple cores. But one more disclaimer: If you see yourself doing more and more things over web browsers as opposed to software installed on your computer, you'll probably get better overall performance by going with something like the 4770K and using the money saved for more RAM (to better handle all those Chrome tabs).

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 cores, 4.5 ghz oc, over 64 GB/s memory read/write. installs programs as fast as you load web pages....., November 29, 2013
Very fast CPU. I was able to hit "only" 4.5 GHz overclocked with water at 1.320 v on a Rampage IV Gene with 32GB of ram running at 2333 mhz making it faster than any stock CPU with 6 cores to date. I also increased the BCLK to 125 from 100 and was able to attain an additional 20GB/s in memory write, currently at 64GB/s READ and 66 GB/s WRITE with a memory latency of 54ns. I keep the CPU at full speed (no TurboBoost), and she idles at 25c, average load temps 30-45c, prime95/ibt under 63c. While the IB-E cpu has more memory bandwidth, the newer haswell 4770K could give more performance clock for clock and if 4 cores is all that is needed (games), but this wins for multi-threaded desktop cpu performance with it's 6-core count. Particular CPU had a high VID of 1.27v but jumped 1.1 GHz extra with very little voltage increase. Chip overclockability are all luck of draw, I consider my chip to be middle ground

5.0 out of 5 stars Video Editor's Dream for the Price, May 26, 2014
PD (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I got the Canon 5D Mark II over 5 years ago and started immersing in video, I actually had the nerve to try and render my first HD vid on a Dell E1705 laptop. I had a gadget showing CPU temp, and when it hit 85C I knew I had to shut it down or I'd fry the laptop. Short n Sweet, I built my first pro rig in 2009 with an i7-920, then later upgraded to 950 and then 6-core 980. The 980 was pretty good, then my aging X58 motherboard gave up the ghost right around Christmas 2013. Time to rebuild.

Enter the 4930K. I thought it'd be a bit better/faster than the 980... I was wrong. This thing is a tremendous improvement and along with the components we have in 2014 vs 2009, the speed is stupid fast. If you're going to invest 500+ in a proc, don't skimp. Get this CPU and pair it with a decent motherboard and you will never regret it. I actually render out HD vid faster than real time now, still can't believe it. Given the odd complex H.264 file format used by Canon that's quite a feat. Note also that I don't overclock and don't need to. Video editing is all about stability, not eeking out extra speed. And because the CPU runs cooler and I have that massive Noctua cooler on it, I'll render video which hammers all 12 threads at 100% for more than an hour sometimes, and the CPU temp never gets out of the 50s. I think the huge fans in my case help there also.

Here's my rig, which I'm listing simply because of how helpful it was 5 years ago when I was about to build my first PC, and people listed their components in reviews. I had to learn the quirks the hard way (such as Premiere Pro not leveraging SLI so buying two video cards at the time was a waste of money), and seeing what people were using was a great help:

* i7-4930K
* Asus DELUXE 79 Motherboard
* Mushkin 32GB DDR-1600 RAM
* Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler (Air, not water)
* EVGA GTX 770 Graphics Card
* LSI 3Ware RAID card with two WD 2TB Reds in RAID0 for all assets, video and audio.
* SanDisk Extreme II 240GB SSD for C: drive (All Adobe apps and Win 8.1, no personal files)
* SanDisk 256GB Ultra II SSD for Adobe cache files and video project files
* Also have a couple more 2TB-3TB WD Black drives for photos and all my files
* EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply
* Pioneer Blu-Ray/DVD burner
* Antec 1200 v3 case
* Dell U3011 monitor (see my long review on Amazon if you're thinking BIG monitor)
* Dedicated external backup drives for all internals.

Hope all this is helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good upgrade, October 31, 2013
There were some games that were unplayable when more than 10 people are on the screen. I thought I needed to update my gfx card (evga gtx 680 superclocked). Nope, turns out that the gpu's perfectly fine and can play in max settings 120hz (1920x 1080 in 3d) almost without a hiccup. I probably won't need to upgrade it for another 3-5 year or so (but I'll probably get the maxwell because I hate being out of date).

All I did was replace my amd fx8150 (and obviously the mobo). Wow, smooth as a baby, no more studder. I guess it turns out that the fx8150 was the bottleneck (oc'd to 4ghz). I thought cpus were better than that nowadays? I guess not. For the last 10 years I've been AMD all the way. But now I guess I'm going to be an intel fanboy. Okay, I suppose AMD is still the best bang for the buck hands down. But if you want top raw performance, AMD won't give it to you. I heard the fx9000 series were disappointing and not that much better so I took a chance on this 4930k which was cheaper, I'm glad I did!

Pros:

-No pins, wow when did that happen? I was worried because instead of pins, the cpu and mobo only had tiny gold bumps. I'm not too fond of connections that don't lock in, but I also don't like accidentally bending pins. I guess these guys know what they're doing.

-4.2ghz without even trying to oc. like seriously. I just put turboost on auto and it maxes out at 4.2ghz when it needs to and comes back down to 1.5ghz on idle. Well I'm sure I probably did something while stumbling through the bios.

-Processor speed debate aside, this thing is the fastest cpu I've owned. I probably wont need to upgrade until they come up with quantum cpus.

-Very cool, not as hot as the other intel processors I've had in the distant past. Also I suck at putting on thermal paste, can't ever figure it out. So I'm glad this runs cold.

Cons:

Its too sexy, I caved in and bought it. I'm hope some of you have more willpower than I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than you need., February 13, 2014
Couldn't be happier.
I saw a few complaints surrounding the fact that this CPU doesn't ship with a heatsink/fan; if you're going to spend $500+ on a processor it blows my mind you would want to go with a stock cooling option anyways.
In the Asus AI Suite II this CPU registers with 12 cores (obviously because of hyperthreading), i slightly overclocked mine to 4.2 GHz but its clear on the forums you could push that well over 5 GHz.
This processor is a pin-less design which i quite liked.

HEADS UP: My motherboard requires a Bios update in order to boot with this CPU, its so easy now i literally have a "Bios Flash button" and a specific USB port with which to load the new version. The motherboard im using is the ASUS P9X79 WS, took all of 20 mins to update and get back on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly fast and runs cool to boot, May 18, 2014
Wickedly fast and runs cool to boot.
How can you not give a CPU that overclocks to 4.5 on air without any effort a 5 star rating!
Just stuck it in my new Asus Rampage IV Gene microATX 2011 mobo and stuck a cooler master Hyper 212 Evo on it and let ROG's CPU Level Up go to work and instant 4.5 on air!
And even at this speed the cpu speed still only get's up to 38C!
My last Intel core i7 ran at around 50C just at idle and would quickly go up to around 90C if I tried overclocking it!
If you already own a i7-950 or faster probably normal user won't notice speed increase much then again they should be buying a cheap 4770.
In my case I needed every ounce of speed I could get because I"m running multiple monitors with a 4K monitor and it definitely helps. Mouse scrolling is a lot smoother in 4K with this cpu than my older i7-950 which couldn't keep up.

Finally, if you have a bunch of video files you need to recode for tablet devices like my iPad mini this thing will quickly pay for itself in time it saves you! I can drag entire folders of older wmv files into Nero recode and it recodes them to MP4 format ridiculously fast in no time since it will use all 12 cores!!! So kudos to Nero since it's one of the few apps that can push this processor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good CPU!, October 6, 2013
I bought this chip around 3 weeks ago not from this site though. OC'ed to 4.5ghz, core voltage @1.3v on air with Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cooler. Ran prime95 about 30mins without problem. Max core temp ~60C, CPU temp ~50C. Core temp ~50C, CPU temp ~40C while playing game. It has been running stable for 3 weeks @4.5ghz. It is a huge upgrade for me from FX8350.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAST of a processor, March 1, 2014
After running my studio DAW for the last 6 years, I decided it was time to step it up. After MUCH research, I decided to go with this six core processor namely for its video rendering capabilities... Paired it with 64gb corsair dominator pro ram, asus p79e-ws motherboard. Painless build, did a mild overclock with the asus, benchmarked 4065 single core,24441 multicore. HANDS DOWN the fastest computer ive ever touched, let alone built. Lightning fast AE and Vegas renders. Couldn't be happier. This processor is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars super fast, great power core, some good price/performance trade space among options, January 1, 2014
We have a requirement for some decent processing horsepower, in contrast to the succession of low price laptops we've used over the past 10 years. Servers in this performance class appear to start at about $6,000, so we decided to build our system from scratch with case, power supply, mother board, memory, graphics card, keyboard, mouse, and this cpu. It installed easily and works great. Because of the detents and markings, there was little chance of installing it improperly.

On choosing which CPU family to purchase:
The 3000 series (eg 3930, 3960, etc) are the older Sandy Bridge technology, while the 4000 series (eg 4930, 4960, etc) are the next generation Ivy Bridge technology. I haven't seen reviews suggesting there is a big difference in performance among them.

On which CPU among the families to purchase:
We wanted top performance, so we chose Hex cores (6 processors) over Quad cores (4 processors). The price seemed to scale fairly linearly with number of cores, so you get what you pay for.
The primary difference between the Hexa-core 4930 (3.4 GHz) and the Extreme 4960 (3.6 GHz) appears to be clock speed, which is less than 6% (probably not humanely noticeable), while the price difference is 2x ($500 vs $1000). You decide, 200% price for < 6% performance? We chose not.

On coolers:
We were surprised by one thing. In contrast to other Intel performance chips, this chip ships without a fan, but if you run it (even at low clock rates) without one, it runs hot enough to burn your hand.

After just a few minutes, we became worried and shut it down. We immediately ordered a cooler from Amazon and waited a few more days before we could finish the build.

After reading many reviews, we ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which is working fine. In retrospect, though, we wish we had ordered the Cooler Master 212 EVO Plus (this newer variant hadn't been reviewed). As near as we can tell, the Plus is the same exact cooler kit with an additional fan attached. It delivers extra cooling and is still compact enough to not interfere with adjacent memory and PCI cards, and if (for whatever reason) you just want the 212 EVO, you can easily unclip one of the fans and you've just saved yourself $12.11. The 212 EVO is $38.99 on Amazon prime, while the 212 EVo Plus is $26.88.

If you really want to overclock this CPU, you'll probably want a circulated water cooler. Again we compared clock rates you might achieve (4 GHz with our cooler, 4.6 GHz with a decent water cooler) and decided it wasn't worthwhile to spend 400% the cost for 15% performance improvement.

On cost vs performance trade-offs in a power build:
To put these decisions in perspective, the cost of all the components for this performance machine was about $4,000.00. We traded some cost for marginal top-end performance.
The highest performance CPU would have cost maybe $600 more for 6% performance improvement (eg 15% cost growth for 6% performance growth). This was probably a good trade.
The best performing cooler would have cost maybe $80 more for 15% performance improvement (eg 2% cost growth for 15% performance growth). One could question the wisdom of this trade, and we may re-think it. Since we've already bought the fan-based cooler, our upgrade cost is $120 not the $80 difference between air and water, so we would bear a 3% cost growth for that 15% performance growth. Time will tell...

Just for background info (or ego), here's our total build:
212 EVO cooler fan
16 gb gskill trident ddr3 2800
asus rampage black edition lga 2011 motherboard
extended warranty
rosewill lightening 1000 power supply
haven't bothered to address all software packages, as your own personal software installation will vary considerably.

Hope this was helpful. Whichever build choices you make, I know you'll enjoy your PC for a long time to come, and I hope you have as much satisfaction as we have had throughout the extended planning, building, installing, and operating process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but you get what you pay for, January 15, 2014
Chances are that you have some computer knowledge if you have found yourself looking at this chip but I will give a brief review anyways. This thing is a beast! If you are building a workstation for 3D modeling/rendering, video editing, or even a super high end gaming rig this CPU is what you need. There are faster chips but they come with a crazy pricetag, I dont think you can beat the 4930k unless you are willing to spend way more, it has a really great power/cost ratio. Currently I am running stock clocks, I haven't felt a need to overclock it yet, that is how good it is.

Intel Core i7-4930K Processor - BX80633I74930K