Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on May 22, 2007
I love this processor, 4 cores really does make a difference. Yes, newer chips are already on the horizon, and you might be able to wait until this chip is much cheaper, but for the moment, even at the price its at.. this chip is well worth the money.

One of the reasons is that its an unlocked chip. You can overclock this to whatever specs you want, and it will not complain. Of course, the trick is to get the overclock USABLE and STABLE. That requires some thought and knowledge.. or a motherboard that has built in overclock profiles like the Asus Workstation Pro series of motherboards. Plus, it requires a GOOD COOLER.

This chip runs HOT. Its "failure temperature" is reported to be 212F / 100C, but I would be more conservative and say that if you start hitting 70C on this chip you need to re-evaluate your cooling. Another thing to note - the cooler that comes with the chip? TRASH. Well, let me qualify that statement a bit. The stock cooler *WILL* cool this chip to usable temperatures, if a) you do not overclock it at all b) have a very good airflow system and c) do not intend to do anything really heavy.

The last part there - "do not intend on doing anything really heavy" rather defeats the purpose of having a quadcore. You can surf and write documents on a Pentium M chip if that's all you need to do. This chip is meant to WORK, and WORK HARD. So, with that in mind, the stock cooler is not to be considered when you buy this chip. You HAVE to buy a better cooler and I would say it is also important (if not essential) to buy an aftermarket thermal paste like an Artic Silver or Arctic Cooling MX-1. Do not skimp on this, and it will reward you well.

For overlocking into 3.8ghz and upwards to 4GHZ you will need a very good water cooler. For overclocks to 3.4ghz, air cooling will do, as long as you buy one of the serious coolers such as the Zalman, Scythe, Tuniq, Vigor or Ultra. I myself use the Ultra Chilltec and it works marvelously - I would recommend the use of a TEC cooler if possible, though from what I have read the Tuniq Tower 120 stacks up well for half the price of a TEC (a TEC is a Thermoelectric cooler that uses the Peltier effect to draw heat out from a surface. Its use in a CPU cooler requires a modulator unit, which all the TEC coolers on the market now have. While not as efficient as water cooling, TEC units give an air cooler that extra push that enables stable overclocks to 3.4ghz to even 3.8ghz).

As other reviews have said - the X6800 is a faster chip for games. If all you wanna do is play games, save yourself money.. and get yourself a better value for money for gaming.

If you do any rendering, however (video, 3D, folding@home, etc) then this chip (especially overclocked, this chip begs to be overclocked) will smoke the X6800. Perhaps not a good example, because its not the same chip, but an example.. I had an AMD 4200+ dualcore and renders in Lightwave for one scene I had were like 15 MINUTES a frame. With this chip, overclocked to 3.2ghz, and 16 threads active, my times dropped to 2 (count 'em, TWO) Minutes a frame!
on May 13, 2007
I've had P3 CPU's and P4's and AMD's for many years, but this Quad Core is unbelievable. I've burned Cd's, recorded music, and played games all at the same time with hardly a hiccup from the CPU. This buy is not only for now, but for the future as well. The only negative thing I can say about it, is that it does get your system a little warm, even with liquid cooling. But, with the amount of fans these days, it's not a problem.
on August 14, 2011
I have had the Intel® Core®2 Extreme QX6700 in my PC for nearly 5 years and it is a workhorse. I am a photographer and videographer and really push my system from time to time and have never had a problem with the QX6700. It's great performance and longevity has probably saved me thousands over the years, because I would usually upgrade my PC every two years and haven't had to since December 2006 (current date is Aug 14, 2011)

The rest of my system specs for those interested.

EVGA® Nvidia® nForce 680i SLI 3xPCIe 16x DDR2 800/1000/1200 Motherboard
nVidia® EVGA® GeForce 8800 GTX 768M DDR3 PCIe Graphics Card
8GB DDR2 1000MHz PC2-8000 Memory
on February 19, 2013
I paid and extra $3.00 for express shipping. It was ordered on Monday evening and I received it Thursday morning. Packaging was more than expected for a used product. The CPU very clean contained in case, placed in Mylar bag and shipped in bubble bag. Most importantly of all it worked and continues to work great.

I have a Dell XPS 700 that I purchased in December of 2006. The original CPU was a Intel E6400 2.13GHz and achieved a respectable Windows Experience Index (WEI) of 5.1. Because the XPS 700 has a NVIDIA N590 chipset, I was able to "overclock" (OC) the E6400 to 2.66 GHz by flashing the BIOS to 1.4. and using the "N-Tune" utility from NVIDIA's website. The E6400 with the OC now has a WEI of 5.3. Note that N-Tune is an operating system (OS) utility and some games act abnormal in this mode. Examples are over talking or acting like they are on massive steroids. A nice work around is to use the command line "bcdedit /set useplatformclock TRUE". This will give the overclock benefit and cause the game programs to behave.

The XPS has (x2) GTX 550ti video cards. One is a PNY XLR8 and the other MSI Cyclone-II. The game bottleneck, even with the OC is the CPU, which is why I decided to upgrade.

In my research, I discovered that I could add a quad CPU up to a QX6800. It was an obscure statement on one of Dell's forums that went something like, unlike other XPS motherboards (MB), the H2C does NOT support the following…. and a list of CPUs followed. One enterprising user took a leap of faith and decided that the Dell tech meant that the XPS 700 would support the CPUs in the list and plopped one in and it worked. So, I decided to try.

I didn't go with the QX6800 because it was $200 (used) and I didn't want to spend that much on something that might not work. I decided to go with the QX6700. I figured I could overclock it to the 6800 speed.

I was fortunate to keep my user manuals, which went into great detail on how to replace the CPU. In addition, there are many instructions, comments, experiences, on the internet on how to replace a CPU. I knew what products to get, what products not to get and how to precisely to remove, clean, and exchange a CPU on any MB ever produced; it's just amazing the amount of material. Because of this, swapping out the CPU was brilliantly easy. The longest amount of time was cleaning my old case of 5 1/2 years of dust.

I had already uninstalled the nTune utility because I had no idea what that would do with the new CPU. I turned on the computer and got caught off guard because the BIOS was squawking about the CPU, windows had booted. I had to go back and reboot to get into the BIOS. I had read that a multiplier parameter would appear in the BIOS when an "X" chip was installed in the motherboard and sure enough the multiplier was there. I immediately upped the clock to 2.92 GHz. The system worked perfect. No BSOD, lockups or instability.

I then increased the CPU speed to 3.2 GHz and again system worked great. The issue I have with this speed is the core temp increased to 72º at 100%. Now, core temp says the Tj. Max is 85º. I also read that 64.5º was the max temp I should be running this processor. So, I wanted to get the core temperature down. The CPU fan was not at max speed so I installed nTune to see if I could increase the CPU cooler fan. I thought I would be able to control the MB fans, which is an option in nTune, and not adjust CPU frequency. This was not the case. The computer did not like nTune. After several BSODs and lock ups, I uninstalled nTune and throttled back the CPU to 2.92. At this frequency and voltage the core rarely goes above 60º and my "real-world" applications are really not affected. In other words I didn't take a performance hit by lowering the CPU frequency to 2.92 GHz.
on March 26, 2007
Fastest CPU on the market today (03-26-07). My processor is no longer the bottleneck in my system. One small tweak and I had all four cores running at 2.93GHz. With the help of the Zalman CNPS9500, this bad boy stays under 40c overclocked. I am sure there will be a faster proc out in the near future, but for now, there is nothing that can touch this thing.
on March 21, 2014
The Intel QX6700 is a very powerful and versatile CPU with Quad Core Design, 8MB L2 Cache and an Unlocked Multiplier which allows the PC Power user and tinkerers to over clock or under clock the CPU by changing the multiplier and/or FSB.

On my computer, I have a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 Motherboard (Version 1.0, Bios Version 13). With Intel's 965 chipset The Bios gives me a choice of multipliers for the QX6700 ranging from 6x to 16x. I have tested almost the entire range of multipliers and found through trial and error that the maximum usable range is between 6x and 11x with my current hardware configuration. outside the range of multipliers I specified above , my PC will either fail to boot, fail to load the OS (Windows XP) or fail to run applications in Windows causing the PC to reboot spontaneously, often without warning.

I have found my 'happy medium' configuration on my PC to be: OC the FSB from 266 MHz to: 333MHz, OC Memory from 800MHz to 833 MHz, CPU Bus speed multiplier:10x results in CPU Core OC from 2.66 GHz to:3.33.GHz; With these settings, my PC is about 95% stable, and never overheats as long as I clean the Case Air Filter, Fans and Heatsinks Monthly.

Note: The CPU Cooler I am using is a ThermalRight brand, Air Cooled unit with 8 Copper Heat Pipes transferring heat from the CPU to a 120mm W x 110mm H x 79mm D Aluminum Heatsink cooled with a 92mm SCYTHE KAMA PWM controlled variable speed fan rated at 200 RPM - 2500 RPM, 0 CFM - 55.55 CFM; Thermal Compound I used between the CPU and the CPU Cooler is: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound; I highly recommend the use of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound for any heat sink application.

I am very happy with the Intel QX6700 Extreme Quad Core CPU I installed in my PC.
on October 25, 2015
I found this chip on sale for $39.99 so I decided to pick it up. What a great addition to my socket 775 computer. Its fast runs the programs and games I use without a hitch and is currently overclocked to 3.184 MHz. The temps average between 22C on the low end and 51C on the high end. I am totally stoked to have it running as it is with those temps. I am using a Thermalright XP90C full copper cooler mounted on a Biostar TP45D2-A7 motherboard. I have 8 GB of G.Skill Memory running at 1066 MHz. I originally purchased this motherboard in September 2009 with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor. So yes I am still using older equipment but they work quite well for me in October 2015. This Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 chip was sold at $1000. when it was first released and is about the top of the line for me in upgrades but until this computer totally breaks down. I will continue to use it for my photography and game playing. Its fast enough for me and does not cost me an arm an a leg to operate. I am just not willing to pay the high prices for speed when in a couple of years they will hold no value whatsoever. A $1000 processor sold for $39.99 that does what the new computers do just not as fast. I have no idea what some people are doing at home that require the processing power of a six core thousand dollar processor. To each his own. I will continue to look for items I deem very usable that are cost effective and continue to work as they were designed. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate X64 on this computer without a hitch.
on February 5, 2014
like another reviewer said, this processor is made for overclocking, otherwise it's a waste of money, I suggest an extreme series motherboard and a good water cooling system so you can get the juice out of this baby.

made preferably for professionals, performance enthusiast, and workstations.
on May 4, 2016
I purchased this to install in an older Dell that supported Quad cores. For about $40 you can't beat it. On par with today's entry level CPUs. I was able to over clock in my application due to the unlocked multiplier to gain a little more performance.
on April 24, 2014
i have no complaints for this item. it works great and is exactly what i was hoping for for my computer as an upgrade. arrived reasonably quickly and installed like a dream with the provided thermal paste.