5.0 out of 5 stars great processor
I love this processor, 4 cores really does make a difference. Yes, newer chips are already on the horizon, and you might be able to wait until this chip is much cheaper, but for the moment, even at the price its at.. this chip is well worth the money.

Published on May 22, 2007 by Richard Hagen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy but a Little Hot
It is a rather good processor however , It does run a little on the hot side if you are using a stock Fan do yourself a favor and buy a Aftermarket Heat sink.

The New I7 are much better however I purchased this item used and it works fine and literally begs to be overclocked.

For Video editing purposes this gets 4 stars however for gaming purposes 3...
Published 7 months ago by Theodore Cornwall

5.0 out of 5 stars great processor, May 22, 2007
Richard Hagen "beverins" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Quad-Core Processor, 2.6 GHz, 8M L2 Cache, LGA775 (Personal Computers)

One of the reasons is that its an unlocked chip. You can overclock this to whatever specs you want, and it will not complain. Of course, the trick is to get the overclock USABLE and STABLE. That requires some thought and knowledge.. or a motherboard that has built in overclock profiles like the Asus Workstation Pro series of motherboards. Plus, it requires a GOOD COOLER.

This chip runs HOT. Its "failure temperature" is reported to be 212F / 100C, but I would be more conservative and say that if you start hitting 70C on this chip you need to re-evaluate your cooling. Another thing to note - the cooler that comes with the chip? TRASH. Well, let me qualify that statement a bit. The stock cooler *WILL* cool this chip to usable temperatures, if a) you do not overclock it at all b) have a very good airflow system and c) do not intend to do anything really heavy.

The last part there - "do not intend on doing anything really heavy" rather defeats the purpose of having a quadcore. You can surf and write documents on a Pentium M chip if that's all you need to do. This chip is meant to WORK, and WORK HARD. So, with that in mind, the stock cooler is not to be considered when you buy this chip. You HAVE to buy a better cooler and I would say it is also important (if not essential) to buy an aftermarket thermal paste like an Artic Silver or Arctic Cooling MX-1. Do not skimp on this, and it will reward you well.

For overlocking into 3.8ghz and upwards to 4GHZ you will need a very good water cooler. For overclocks to 3.4ghz, air cooling will do, as long as you buy one of the serious coolers such as the Zalman, Scythe, Tuniq, Vigor or Ultra. I myself use the Ultra Chilltec and it works marvelously - I would recommend the use of a TEC cooler if possible, though from what I have read the Tuniq Tower 120 stacks up well for half the price of a TEC (a TEC is a Thermoelectric cooler that uses the Peltier effect to draw heat out from a surface. Its use in a CPU cooler requires a modulator unit, which all the TEC coolers on the market now have. While not as efficient as water cooling, TEC units give an air cooler that extra push that enables stable overclocks to 3.4ghz to even 3.8ghz).

As other reviews have said - the X6800 is a faster chip for games. If all you wanna do is play games, save yourself money.. and get yourself a better value for money for gaming.

If you do any rendering, however (video, 3D, folding@home, etc) then this chip (especially overclocked, this chip begs to be overclocked) will smoke the X6800. Perhaps not a good example, because its not the same chip, but an example.. I had an AMD 4200+ dualcore and renders in Lightwave for one scene I had were like 15 MINUTES a frame. With this chip, overclocked to 3.2ghz, and 16 threads active, my times dropped to 2 (count 'em, TWO) Minutes a frame!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quad Core Rules!!, May 13, 2007
Rascal (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I've had P3 CPU's and P4's and AMD's for many years, but this Quad Core is unbelievable. I've burned Cd's, recorded music, and played games all at the same time with hardly a hiccup from the CPU. This buy is not only for now, but for the future as well. The only negative thing I can say about it, is that it does get your system a little warm, even with liquid cooling. But, with the amount of fans these days, it's not a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate, March 26, 2007
Fastest CPU on the market today (03-26-07). My processor is no longer the bottleneck in my system. One small tweak and I had all four cores running at 2.93GHz. With the help of the Zalman CNPS9500, this bad boy stays under 40c overclocked. I am sure there will be a faster proc out in the near future, but for now, there is nothing that can touch this thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly 5 years and going strong., August 14, 2011
I have had the Intel® Core®2 Extreme QX6700 in my PC for nearly 5 years and it is a workhorse. I am a photographer and videographer and really push my system from time to time and have never had a problem with the QX6700. It's great performance and longevity has probably saved me thousands over the years, because I would usually upgrade my PC every two years and haven't had to since December 2006 (current date is Aug 14, 2011)

The rest of my system specs for those interested.

EVGA® Nvidia® nForce 680i SLI 3xPCIe 16x DDR2 800/1000/1200 Motherboard
nVidia® EVGA® GeForce 8800 GTX 768M DDR3 PCIe Graphics Card
8GB DDR2 1000MHz PC2-8000 Memory

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CPU choice for PC Power users, Gamers, Audio,Video and photo processing and especially Overclocking., March 21, 2014
The Intel QX6700 is a very powerful and versatile CPU with Quad Core Design, 8MB L2 Cache and an Unlocked Multiplier which allows the PC Power user and tinkerers to over clock or under clock the CPU by changing the multiplier and/or FSB.

On my computer, I have a Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3 Motherboard (Version 1.0, Bios Version 13). With Intel's 965 chipset The Bios gives me a choice of multipliers for the QX6700 ranging from 6x to 16x. I have tested almost the entire range of multipliers and found through trial and error that the maximum usable range is between 6x and 11x with my current hardware configuration. outside the range of multipliers I specified above , my PC will either fail to boot, fail to load the OS (Windows XP) or fail to run applications in Windows causing the PC to reboot spontaneously, often without warning.

I have found my 'happy medium' configuration on my PC to be: OC the FSB from 266 MHz to: 333MHz, OC Memory from 800MHz to 833 MHz, CPU Bus speed multiplier:10x results in CPU Core OC from 2.66 GHz to:3.33.GHz; With these settings, my PC is about 95% stable, and never overheats as long as I clean the Case Air Filter, Fans and Heatsinks Monthly.

Note: The CPU Cooler I am using is a ThermalRight brand, Air Cooled unit with 8 Copper Heat Pipes transferring heat from the CPU to a 120mm W x 110mm H x 79mm D Aluminum Heatsink cooled with a 92mm SCYTHE KAMA PWM controlled variable speed fan rated at 200 RPM - 2500 RPM, 0 CFM - 55.55 CFM; Thermal Compound I used between the CPU and the CPU Cooler is: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound; I highly recommend the use of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound for any heat sink application.

I am very happy with the Intel QX6700 Extreme Quad Core CPU I installed in my PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars best purchase, February 5, 2014
like another reviewer said, this processor is made for overclocking, otherwise it's a waste of money, I suggest an extreme series motherboard and a good water cooling system so you can get the juice out of this baby.

made preferably for professionals, performance enthusiast, and workstations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Intel processor, January 2, 2013
Got this used and it went in without a hitch. Lots of fakes going around so I Verified the authenticity using the Intel software. i've had it for over a month so far and it's been working flawlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great, April 24, 2014
i have no complaints for this item. it works great and is exactly what i was hoping for for my computer as an upgrade. arrived reasonably quickly and installed like a dream with the provided thermal paste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy but a Little Hot, February 1, 2014

For Video editing purposes this gets 4 stars however for gaming purposes 3 and a half as it relates to nowadays games of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much yes, September 24, 2013
I want anyone who reads this to have the knowledge I didn't have and searched everywhere for.
I had a dual core Conroe 1.86 ghz processor, running in an older dell xps 410 model. after many weeks of research I upgraded to a quad core 2.67ghz on the same Mobo! of course the extreme processor needs twice the power but hey it was worth every penny, no overclocking needed. I highly reccomend this CPU

Rate and Discover Movies