4.0 out of 5 stars A review from gaming perspective
Published 16 months ago by A. ALGHAMDI

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
good price - performance balance...
Published 1 month ago by Sergi Pinol

4.0 out of 5 stars A review from gaming perspective, August 4, 2013
This review is from: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54570 (Personal Computers)
I selected this CPU for a gaming rig. I needed something future proof to make sure it doesn't bottleneck any GPU I place in there. tested it with a GTX 770 which is equivalent to the GTX 680. ran benchmarks on 1080p and got almost the same results I got from i5 4670k (no overclocking in both tests). no need to OC nor try to exceed the capabilities of this CPU. I was planning to get an i5 4670k + after market cooler + Z87 mobo. then I researched some benchmarks and realised there is no need to go for an expensive CPU while the graphics are all in the GPU. so I skipped the cooler, downgraded to this CPU and downgraded the mobo choise to B85. this saved my $ 80 which was invested in upgrading the GPU and thus achiving an excellent performance.

if you plan to play games on a single monitor at 1080 res or even at 1440 res then you're looking for a GPU of the GTX 760 tier or HD 7870 XT or even the higher tier such as GTX 770 or HD 7970 then this CPU is the right choice for you. however, if you plan to go even higher or to SLI, then I guess you'd be better off with an i5 4670k (or i7 depending on your target res+FPS and required GPU setup for the job) + Z87 board + after market cooler in that case. hence that overclocking will require you to buy a higher watt PSU which might add up more bucks to the budget. I'm using 550W for this build which is considered overkill considering I'm not overclocking or using GPU in SLI/CF.

The only con that cost the last star is the price point. although this cpu is great, I find it more feasible to buy an ivy bridge higher end cpu from microcenter at the same/lower price. idk what intel is thinking with their price ranges. you'll also save up on mobo as the Z77 prices are decreasing in the presence of the newer Z87 generation. it's true that you'll lose the 10% performance advantage of haswell but you'll have overcloking capabilities which is even more future proof for gaming rigs.

The setup:

GPU: EVGA GTX 760 2GB ACX Cooler Superclosked
Case: NZXT Tempest 410
PSU: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold ATX12V / EPS12V Semi-Modular
OD: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
OS: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (64-bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value & great performance, August 8, 2013
I hadn't built a computer in 7 years (think IDE ribbon cables & DDR1), but I've had newer laptops, a core 2 duo and an i5 sandy bridge. While you can't really compare desktop rigs to laptops, I sort of knew what to expect performance wise, a lot faster. I chose this processor after months of research, deciding between this, and the unlocked K version, and AMD's top-of-the-line bulldozer.

Day to day, this thing handles just fine. Paired with an ASRock H87 Pro4 motherboard and 8GB of RAM, it starts Windows 8 in about 10 seconds with all the antivirus & apps starting with it, plus my impatient starting web browsers and email as soon as I can click on them. I haven't noticed any lagging, occasionally if I try to open 3 or 4 things at once at the same time, it will take a long moment then open everything up. I have encoded video while watching 1080P Netflix, and there was no stuttering. You can throw a lot at it

Under load, like encoding video or playing games, it runs a bit hotter than I'm used to, but apparently normal for this chip. With stock cooling it goes no higher than 69C, locked up at 3.36GHz. I was able to play most games at mid to high settings (paired with a GTX 650 Ti BOOST) with no issues.

I'm not big into overclocking, from my experiences it's a lot of trouble and risk for very, very marginal gain. I'm quite happy at it's stock clock + turbo boost.

From my research, it's really no comparison to AMD, this specific processor beat's AMD's absolute fastest processor in almost every way, except at hardcore multi-threaded operations (which most programs don't utilize anyway). Cheaper intels sacrifice a lot of speed, while higher end processors jump way up in price. This is the best value for your money in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome cpu for a good price., January 19, 2014
This processor hides behind the other i5 series processors but I can't figure out why. It is cheaper and only a fraction of a second slower and works flawlessly. My computer is extremely fast and runs any game or program I throw at it with out trouble. I would definitely recommend this guy and plan on buying another for my brothers computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Met expectation, July 7, 2013
I bought the new Haswell i5-4570 so that I can play the latest games at either high or medium settings @ 1920x1080 resolution. Runs CS:GO and BF3 like a champ (200fps and 102 fps respectively).

However, I ran into couple problem (really one, the other one is more of an annoyance) down the road.

After a week, I noticed that the game was stuttering for a bit. My fps in CS:GO would start out from 200 fps and go down to 20 fps at times. I decided to investigate and found out that the CPU was idling around 80C and 100C under load through BIOS (MSI H87M-G43 REV 1.2) I thought the BIOS temp reader was off and used CPU Temp reader which said the same thing. I found this really strange as ambient temperature was around 20C (Hey I like to live cold - its also good for the computer :] ). Took a closer look and found out that the CPU fan was not running. It seemed like it was caught on a cpu fan wire but the actual problem was the CPU fan was not able to rotate at all. I always do CPU fan test before doing stress test so this caught me off guard. Replaced stock cooler with Cooler Master Hyper 101i and the problem went away.

*On a side note, I really really really (can't emphasize this enough) dislike the intel's method of securing the CPU. Mine was really hard to secure (had to at put serious force onto the lever) and left a small indent on the sides. The cpu fan secure system on the sockets LGA 1156, 1155, and 1150 isn't the greatest either as I found the rotating mechanism really irritating when you have to work with small space.

Otherwise, really happy with Intel's new Haswell.

**On a second note, I read somewhere on Tomshardware about the design of the Haswell and its likelihood to run little hotter than her sisters' cores (Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge). Make sure you get an adequate cooling. The stock cooling is mediocre at best and the paste that comes with it is even worse. It doesn't space out evenly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty a?, March 17, 2014
This is a powerful little cpu for the price. You can't overclock it so be aware of that (you can only overclock k series when dealing with intel). Also the aftermarket fan that comes with it keeps it fairly cool if you have a case with good airflow. On full load it never goes over 60 C (though it gets pretty close at 55 C). It's not the most powerful thing on the block but it works for my needs. An all round good economic chip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice processor, April 9, 2014
This is a very nice processor on so many levels...

Pros:
Cooling is sufficient... No need for aftermarket cooling since you can't overclock
Price... It's almost perfectly priced. Not as high as similar i5, which are not worth the $30 extra
Performance... I've tried 10-15 games, from GTA to Civillization, and HD 4600 can run almost all on high/medium.. Still recommend a graphics card if you're a serious gamer

Cons:
No overclocking, but no stars off since it's designed so...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good CPU for the money, February 9, 2014
Kallun Sheppard (BEAUMONT, TX, US) - See all my reviews
Easy to install. Quite I like the fact the thermal compound comes already applied. If your thinking about upgrading this is a good solid processor

5.0 out of 5 stars It's as Good or Better Than I Expected, September 9, 2014
I was in a quandary with regard to a CPU when I decided to replace a dead motherboard. I looked at Intel Core i7 CPUs but decided that was more speed and performance I really needed. I'm not a gamer and not a power user; so the Core i5 looked like a better investment. But the Core i5 4670 cost almost as much as the Core i7 processors. So, I went with this CPU (a little cheaper without a huge hit on performance), hoping it would be good enough for my modest computer use. It was! I installed it on my new ASRock motherboard and it performed plenty fast enough to do what I want. It was excellent up until I greedily put another 8Gb of DDR3 memory in my motherboard and the motherboard died. I've RMA'ed the motherboard to ASRock and am waiting for a replacement board. I look forward to getting another motherboard and putting my system back together. I hope my computing needs don't grow a lot over the next 4-6 years; so I can continue to get good usage out of the i5-4570 CPU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Processor, August 28, 2013
This new Haswell chip is adequate for anyone wanting to build an intel based computer that can run games, word processors, cad programs, and anything else you throw at it. It has a base clock of 3.2 ghz but it will boost up to 3.6 ghz if it needs to. Additionally, the price per performance ratio is actually better than the 4670, making it a better value overall (especially when the 4670 is only marginally faster on all benchmark tests than this thing). If you don't overclock due to the reliability concerns, this is the processor to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for home office work machine., July 15, 2014
For my work applications this is overkill, but it is fast, and stays cool. Running Linux to remote in to my work sessions, also doubles as a personal use PC and it is flawless so far. Recommend this chip!