5.0 out of 5 stars Mind = blown
I got the 120 GB drive expecting to just run games from there but I didn't realize how easy it was to migrate my entire existing C drive to the SSD.

Published on April 12, 2012 by Pecos Bill

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice drive with huge problem
Lets start with the good:
The drive is fast and like this generation of SSDs that is really not something that is uncommon. I expected very high read/write results and I got them

The bad:
Published 14 months ago by Aleksandar Hristov

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind = blown, April 12, 2012
Pecos Bill (Gaithersburg, MD United States) - See all my reviews

Intel provides a migration utility that lets you clone existing drives onto this drive. So I cloned my C drive (my Windows installation and my main Program Files), which lets me boot directly to the SSD as if nothing had happened. It was a very simple process and the software and guides will walk you through it.

So now I am unexpectedly booting straight from my SSD without having to reinstall anything. What used to take a couple minutes to boot up and settle down is now done in seconds. Windows FLIES. So I kinda wish I'd gotten a bigger drive -- I went with 120 GB because I wasn't going to put Windows on it, but since it was easy, I did so ... but my C drive had about 80 GB on it so that was most of my space! If I'd known that cloning was going to be this easy (and good), I may have gotten the 240 GB instead.

One good tip, though, if you do this:
You can save yourself some space on your Windows installation drive by moving your Windows "Users" folders to another drive. In Windows 7, just open Windows Explorer, locate your "Users\YourNameHere" folder and right click on the sub-folders ("My Documents", "My Music", "Downloads", etc), go to Properties, select the Location tab and move the location to a conventional drive. Windows 7 will automatically migrate all the contents to the new location and delete the originals, freeing space on your SSD. Since I have a ton of music and some videos and so forth, this freed up 30 GB from my SSD. There's no reason to have My Music taking up expensive SSD space.

As for overall ease of install, if you're comfortable installing a regular SATA drive, this is the same thing. Only fancy thing I had to do was go into my BIOS to change the drive boot order, and according to the docs, you could just swap cables instead. Note that this does come with a mount, so you shouldn't need to buy anything extra (I want to say it was a 3.5" drive mount? Meh. I just screwed it in with the other hard drives. I'm only supporting it on one side but it's not like it's heavy or has any moving parts anyway.)

I guess I'll see how this is long term, but with a 5 year warranty, it may already be better than my conventional drives.

P.S.
I went with Intel over other brands after reading reviews and comparing warranties. Intel's 5-year warranty was the longest I could find. I might consider a cheaper brand for less essential data if I decide to get a second one but if you're installing your OS, you might want top grade. (Failure in OS = bluescreen.)

P.P.S. (6/2/2013)
I thought I was finally having a serious problem with the drive. Windows kept crashing and signs pointed to the file system. Turns out it was bad system RAM and not the drive. After finding the bad RAM with MemTest86 and replacing it, the problems went away. I now have a second, larger drive to play my games from while the original 120 GB mainly has Windows and other programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and a 5-year warranty, March 30, 2012
After being burned by lousy OCZ drives, I decided to pay a little more and buy the Intel drive. I went through 3 different OCZ drives in less than 2 years and I would never buy another one.

This drive is fast and although my current laptop doesn't have 6gb/s SATA, the Windows performance index for this drive is 7.9, the maximum. I'm still a little weary because Intel is using a Sandforce controller for this drive and all my failed OCZ drives had Sandforce controllers. I think Intel's testing procedure is more rigorous than OCZ's and they are backing this drive with the longest warranty in the business.

Check out the benchmark numbers in the User Pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boots Windows 7 x64 in 11 seconds, June 28, 2012
All I need to say is that my new 180 GB Intel 520 boots Windows 7 x64 in 11 seconds. All disk operations are speeded up significantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Built in circuitry negates the need for TRIM, September 7, 2012
On my mid-2011 Apple MacBook Pro (MBP), I opted for this 180GB SSD. I do web design and development, web programming, and Windows programming. This drive covers my basic apps and VMs, with 30GB to spare. Without the sound recording studio I'd have 80GB left...

What made me choose this drive is the SandForce 520 chipset. It has built-in garbage collection that renders the need for TRIM drivers needless. The OS shouldn't have to do drive maintenance anyway, that should be the drive's job, which means fewer drivers for the OS to have running in memory...

Also, computer owners running a SSD without its own garbage collection or without TRIM enabled is begging for trouble: A SSD's effective lifespan would plummet, since these devices can only be written to a certain number of times before they "wear out", and garbage collection organizes and optimizes where and how the drives are written to. Until SandForce, only TRIM was the solution, and not available for all customers who use the drive, depending on their OS...

So that's the two scoops. When installing this drive, feel content that you don't need to install any unsupported hacks in any OS that lacks or prohibits TRIM support. And that the OS shouldn't have to deal with disk maintenance at this level to begin with...

Oh, the drive is massively fast - naturally, for it is a SSD. Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) boots in 10 seconds, and apps load up almost instantly. Even my Windows VM starts up faster than a native, modern Windows machine.

And even better, Intel's five YEAR warranty is highly competitive. SSDs are expensive, so Intel putting up a solid warranty upfront only adds to a greater sense of security.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word - AWESOME!!!, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CW240A3K5 (Reseller Kit) (Personal Computers)
Bought this a couple months ago to replace a 128 GB Samsung Sata 2 SSD. Dropped it in - formatted and installed Windows 7 - and it's been running like a champ ever since. I'm a developer - so I have quite a few web servers/databases/ other services running on it pretty much 24/7 AND i keep installing uninstalling stuff on a regular basis. It has taken everything that I can throw it without breaking stride.

If you are on the market for an SSD - you cant go wrong with this.

P.S. My samsung SSDs are going strong too. So if you are looking for a sata 3 ssd - both the samsung 830 or the intel 520 are great choices with very little to separate them. You cant go wrong with either.

Update 12/2012 - Well - it has been nearly 9 months now. I've reformatted the disk and installed Windows 8. It's still performing marvelously. I've installed the intel SSD optimizer and run it on a regular basis. This one is going to be a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - but issues with migration software, September 20, 2012
I am very impressed with this product. I installed it in less than 2 hours including the cloning of my existing hard drive. You will see a miraculous difference in startup time for bootup and in starting applications.

One issue I would like to point out. The included software used to copy my existing hard disk would not allow me to keep the Windows 7 System Reserved partition at 100 MB in size. It insisted on shrinking it to 27 MB of space actually used. I tried to override this to no avail by using the custom options of the migration software but it would not let me make this larger. I'd like to point out that I have over 25 years of experience in working with and developing software and I could not find an option in the migration software that would let me do this. So if it exists then there is either a bug in the software or it is not documented clearly.

So I let the migration software do the copy with only 27 MB for the reserved partition. No problem right. Well almost. Everything works fine except the Windows 7 Backup will fail as it needs at least 50 MB of free space in any partition it will back up. Also, the Windows 7 Backup will not allow you to skip backing up the reserved partition along with your C: drive. So Windows 7 backup will not work after the migration.

So to solve this problem I first tried using Ghost 15 from Symantec to no avail. I purchased a copy of Acronis Disk Director 11 Home from Amazon that allowed me to resize the System Reserved partion and get the backup working. Actually using this Disk Director tool and the builtin Windows 7 partition tools did the job.

Normally I don't write many reviews but hopefully this will help others that run into this issue. I plan to notify Intel as well about this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice drive with huge problem, February 13, 2013
Lets start with the good:

The bad:
The reason I chose Intel SSD was because of their reliability and firmware stability. I was wondering between this and Samsung 840 pro, but the later was a bit more expensive. Right now, I'm hitting myself hard in the head for not shoving a couple of extra $$$ to get the Samsung 840 pro. From the start of Windows this SSD has been like a plague with it's freezing and BSOD. Every 30-60 seconds I got BSOD like clockwork. Just awful and really aggravating.
I searched hundreds of threads online (too late) to find out that this is a know issue with this SSD and STILL NOT RESOLVED by Intel. This issue has been on for months !!! I finally was able to find a "fix" that seems to solve the issue for now, but as I read, some of the owners still experience these problems with this fix.
This is a HUGE minus in my book for Intel and because of this, I'm no longer going to buy any SSD from them.

Search Intel 520 BSOD F4 online before buying this SSD to get a better understanding whether you should commit to this SSD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for high I/O Usage!!!! Crashes - Repeatable, July 4, 2013
I purchased this drive to run Ubuntu Server 12.10 with a supermicro MB, worked great when server was doing minimal tasks similar to desktop usage. Once I installed a database (tried MySQL and Postgresql)and did some queries the drive locks up. I have tried the drive in a Lenovo W500, W530 with the sames results.

This is easily repeatable, a lenovo thread covers more details:
here [...]

It seems to possibly be some sort of intel power issue, I have an OCZ vertex and Samsung SSD and neither crash under the sames conditions and overall perform better.

Overall
DONT BUY THIS IF HIGH I/O USAGE!! (Databases, Web servers, computation servers)
Probably would be good for a netbook/Chromebook but nothing heavy.
I've had it for less than a year, but well over 30 days so I'm out the money, thanks Intel for a shiny coaster.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed in under four months, April 1, 2013
This drive failed in under four months, but it worked well until it failed. Unfortunately can't justify more than one star for an expensive, failed hard drive that resulted in complete data loss. Fortunately I do not trust SSDs (or hard drives in general) and had backed up all important files.

Be sure to back up your files since the drive will fail eventually and may fail a lot sooner than you expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast little bugger!!!, December 27, 2012
I bought the drive to put in my Mac mini '12. It was quite an effort to get it in there, but it was so worth it. I love the warranty and Intel's legendary reliability so I'm happy with my choice. I could have saved a bit of money and gotten another drive but so far I can't complain.

A few notes for Mac users:
If you're going to install in a Mac that has 10.8.2 on it and your goal is *NOT* to make a Fusion Drive (if you already have everything on your HDD and you want to manually manage your OS / App SSD usage for instance) when booting into recovery Apple more or less *forces* you to make a Fusion Drive. There are guides to prevent this from happening and the Internet is your friend when it comes to research. I was lucky and knew an SSD was on the way so I didn't have anything on the HDD I needed to keep, so I just went ahead and erased the drive and now have a shiny new Fusion Drive. Always back up your stuff if you're adding a HD anyway in case you lose anything because of a forced format. Fusion Drive works extremely well, by the way. Another thing is TRIM is not enabled by default with Mac. You need to find a third party enabler or do it manually through the Terminal. I've dabbled in *nix quite a bit so I was comfortable with the Terminal method, but I know most won't.

I personally get reads well in excess of 450 MB/s. This thing BLAZES. The first time I booted the mini I knew it would be fast but it's... like.... ~10 seconds fast. Holy nuggets.

Also, obviously, my VirtualBox images are insanely fast. Windows XP never even shows the blue three squares that go from left to right it just blanks for a second and boom desktop. SO AMAZING.

In short, I love this drive, and it's amazing.

ARRAY(0x974254d4)