5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Choice
I have used various SSD drives but have always been happiest with Intel. These drives are astonishingly fast, and also include the mounting bracket you'll need to adapt them to a 3.5" bay (consider that worth about $13 when you're bargain-shopping against cheaper brands).

Published 23 months ago by Brian Foreman

3.0 out of 5 stars Drive failed in two months
Published 20 months ago by LimitedGovernment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Choice, May 26, 2012
Brian Foreman (Lincoln, NE United States) - See all my reviews

Installation could not be easier: connect power and a SATA cable (ideally to a 6GB/sec port, and no, you don't need a special cable for 6GB/sec) and you're done. After you've installed your Operating System (you ARE buying this to be your boot drive, right?), visit Intel's website for their SSD Toolbox software. This will properly configure certain Windows features (like Superfetch, Prefetch, Defrag and Trim) to optimize your SSD's functionality and keep it running smoothly for you.

With Windows 7 64-bit and all its updates installed, plus Microsoft Office Home & Business, I have used only 35GB of my 60GB drive, leaving plenty of room for other software. (Note: if you do the same thing and end up with less spare room, research "hibernate mode" for one potential reason. Also, if you are going to have more than 8GB of RAM installed, your Windows pagefile may need to be bigger than mine and take more room also. In short, your mileage may vary, but for most people, this drive is plenty big as long as you have a large second drive on which to store files.)

I have a large 1TB hard-drive for bulk storage, and with my Intel motherboard (check my other reviews) I get boot times of around 18 seconds---very nice (your boot-time mileage may vary, mostly based on whether or not your motherboard enables you to disable most of the Power-On Self Test functions or not). Two of these striped into a RAID 0 configuration will give you double the storage and even better throughput; for the rest of us, one of these is enough to make us very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Debated for 6months on if I should buy SSD or not. Why did I wait so long?, May 14, 2012
Not sure why I waited, maybe I psyched myself out, thinking I wouldn't like it.

What I was afraid of:

-Having to rewipe and start over losing an entire evening in updates. (Reality: Took me under an hour to install, load OS, do all the Win7 updates and move folders over from old drive)
-I wouldn't notice that much of a difference. (Reality: Bootup time under 15s, browsing speed faster, loading of all my games about 20% faster)

Things I didn't expect:

-Processor/case temps dropped slightly.

I'm very pleased so far with this drive. I'm considering now getting another for my notebook where I feel I'd get better battery life and faster performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Drives, May 25, 2012
I'm running two of these in a RAID0.. Windows Loads so fast that it beats out the loading audio to the start screen.. it's amazing, installing applications.. well.. let's just say I blinked a few times and it was done.. these are truly amazing drives.

I will recommend these to everyone that asks, the sheer speed that they bring to the table will blow you away.. Couple these with a set of GeForce 560's (like I have) and prepare to never leave your computer..

I'll post a followup in a year with the performance updates with time..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SSD, Reliable Vendor, July 5, 2012
The Intel 330 180GB was installed as the boot drive on an existing W7 64 bit desktop system. Because there were many applications already installed on the existing drive I chose not to do a fresh install but to clone the existing drive to the Intel SSD. Before doing the install I prepared the mechanical C drive by first eliminating unnecessary files then disabling features not needed by SSDs, such as indexing, system restore, and hibernation. This also reduces space Windows will use on the SSD. I then connected the SSD to the second Sata port on the motherboard. Instead of using Intel's Data Migration software I used the Acronis True Image Home 2012 bootable CD I already had and selected the clone feature on automatic settings and in about 10 minutes it was ready. I then replaced the original boot drive with the Intel SSD and rebooted. After booting I ran the Windows performance assessment tool and the system performance increased from 5.9 to 7.9. I than ran CrystalDiskMark and got the following speed in MB/s rounded to integer values:

Read Write
Seq 432 216
512 370 211
4K 21 53
4KQD32 200 200

As the data shows this unit delivers very strong performance. Waking from sleep mode the system is virtually instant. Applications launch instantly as well. At the sale price the 180GB unit comes in at about $.66/GB and is one of the best upgrades one can make to a desktop PC. Those upgrading laptops should check the physical dimension of this unit for space compatibility. Overall great product and Intel has the best record for reliability for SSDs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drive failed in two months, August 15, 2012
This review is from: Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 180 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CT180A3K5 (Personal Computers)
This drive is fast and you get a lot of space for your dollar, but mine failed with a data integrity error within two months. I can't give this product anything higher than three stars for that reason. The only reason I didn't give it one or two stars is because Intel promises that they will send me a replacement in five business days. Hopefully this next one will be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, October 20, 2012
C. J. Nielsen (Hamilton, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
I picked one of these up for my 2011 Mac Mini to replace the achingly slow built in 5400rpm drive. I chose Intel because after many months of research it appeared to be one of the most reliable brands. I do database work and I don't mind if it's not the absolute quickest drive but I cannot have any crashes. I purchased the logic board tool from ifixit.com and set to work. I swapped the drive out, and using the USB key I made when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, I was able to do a fresh install, pull down my data from my Time Machine backup, and was up and running in about an hour.

The drive is rock solid, I have run it for several weeks and it has been utterly reliable, no crashes which is a relief (after reading the OCZ reviews at least). I believe my machine runs a little cooler and the speed difference is mind blowing! My first SSD, and the difference is stunning. I did some before and after benchmarks and I found my apps load on average in 10% of the time they used to. Lightroom 4 used to take 45 seconds to load, now 4 seconds. I need apps to load fast now Mountain Lion likes to close them for me, so when previewing 10 documents you need to load Preview 10 times, it was slow enough before to irritate, now it is instant, which I think is the intention of Apple that our machines should load apps instantly in the future and restore all the windows when they do, just like on iOS. Now my machine is so fast I am happy with that idea.

The only issue I have had is when installing apps, it is so fast now it doesn't bother displaying a progress dialog so it looks like it hasn't done anything which was disconcerting the first couple of times until I realised what was happening. That is a problem I like having!!! On the Blackmagic drive test the write speed is a little slow, I am getting 150 write and 460 read, but I did see somewhere that uncompressible data writing is slow with the 330 series and if that is a problem buy a 520 series. I don't buy it, in practical use it FEELS extremely fast, I think those tests are over-rated, I challenge anyone to use my machine and tell me there is a speed issue writing to disk.

All in all, two thumbs up. Rock solid and blazing fast. No brainer at the price. Only thing is needing to keep my itunes and Lightroom library + photos on an external drive due to the space limitation. I have a Firewire 800 drive that is more than fast enough for that purpose. I don't think I will ever buy a machine with a spinning boot drive again, and I would not be surprised if the Mac Mini in future gets the same sort of on-board SSD the Macbook Air has, and ends up in the same size case as the Apple TV. Give it 5 years I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding drive for the money!!!, August 22, 2012
Jerry K. Belew "jkb" (Llano, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I totally agree with Brian Foreman's review of this product. I bought this drive to replace a Kingston SVP200S3 which had been installed by my computer shop on June 1, 2012 and was beginning to FAIL already (< 3 months)! Checking both Intel's and Kingston's websites gave me a lot of information regarding the superiority of this Intel SSD drive. I also purchased Apricorn's "EZ Upgrade 3.0 EZ Gig Cloning Kit" from Amazon as well. The cloning of my still working but error prone Kingston was flawless and installing the new cloned Intel Drive was a snap----even a cave man could do it! :) I installed this drive in my desktop system which has an AMD Athlon 64X Dual Core running @ 2.41ghz with 4gb of Ram (my WinXP Pro SP3 system only recognizes 3.25gb). I had NO problems physically installing the drive in the case of my desktop PC, the mounting bracket provided with the drive along with cables & screws was a perfect fit! In addition, the SSD Toolbox software provided by Intel is far superior to what Kingston provides. I highly recomment this drive, in fact I just ordered another for a good friend & neighbor who's running virtually the same system (hardware & software) that I am...we want to replace his old mechanical Seagate drive before it crashes. As happened to me over this past Memorial Day weekend resulting in a painful replacement of the dead Seagate with the Kingston SSD. Fortunately for me in that case, I had a backup on an external USB drive so I didn't lose data. Far as I'm concerned, Intel RULES!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast., August 27, 2012
Installed this as boot drive along with a WD caviar black 1tb on a brand new built system. Everything I did in the past would only get me a 5.9 on windows experience rating before. Installed this drive and re-ran WE and maxed at 7.9. Boot times with windows 7 is just under 20 seconds. This includes entering password. Definitely not the fastest but it's fast enough for me. Did usual ssd tweaks... Turned off hibernation, indexing, page filing was manually set to a lower value. Trim is auto set by windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install, Blazing Speed!, August 23, 2012
Installed on my Sony Vaio VGN-NW360F.

I replaced the stock drive, a 500 GB 5400 RPM Seagate that took a dump on me after a "percussive maintenance" session.

The box came with detailed instructions, a SATA data transfer cable, a SATA power cable, and an adapter bracket for installation into a desktop.

Installation was a breeze, I didn't do any real file transfers, however. I just loaded the recovery discs and started from scratch.

The drive is MUCH faster than stock, it loads programs quicker, the computer boots in about 10-15 seconds now.

Overall, this is a strong product with very slick and helpful packaging, and a good set of software included to assist managing this monster.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

5.0 out of 5 stars These drives are awesome!, October 16, 2012
This is the second Intel SSD drive I've purchased in the last couple of years. I bought an X-25 80GB drive about a year and a half ago for my desktop computer. It made such a huge difference in performance. I'm close to maxing out the storage capacity of that drive, and now that prices have come down, I decided to get this 120GB drive. Still outstanding performance. Computer boots from power on to fill windows 7 operation in about 30 seconds, and all programs that sit on the drive boot up almost instantaneously. Installation of this drive was a piece of cake using Acronis True Image 2013. That program formatted the drive, and then I migrated by old SSD to this drive in about 10 minutes. Replaced the old one and fired up the computer with this drive no problems. Because I used Acronis, I cannot speak for the migration software that is offered by Intel.

I took my old 80GB SSD and installed it in my 8 year old Dell laptop, and now that computer has a new lease on life! I think anyone that wants to see a massive performance upgrade to their computer should swap out their windows boot drive for one of these gems.

ARRAY(0x94e608a0)