Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on May 10, 2010
I bought this drive about a month ago and I must say that it really sped up the boot time and application load time for my computer, an Intel Core i7 860 with 8 GB of RAM.

PRO:

In a word, SPEED! It increased the Windows 7 hard drive score from 5.9 to 7.2 (the maximum score is 7.9) and, even better, really sped up boot and application load times. This is a noticable upgrade unlike some other upgrades, i.e. I noticed no speedup when I increased the system RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB for the same cost as the SSD.

It runs silently and uses little power and is not susceptable to damage from vibration or dropping, which would make it a natural for a notebook application. Because it uses so little power is does not add much heat to the system, making the fans run slower and quieter.

NEUTRAL:

I have the same complaint that everyone else has, the cost per gigabyte. SSDs are still not cost effective, leading to small drives. I use this drive as a boot drive and put my most used applications on it, but there is not enough room for all my apps; all of my data is stored on other drives.

I had to download a firmware update to use the Intel toolkit with the TRIM utility. Fortunately, this update is non-invasive and does not wipe the data off of the drive unlike firmware updates from other manufacturers (Patriot). I guess that this drive had been in the warehouse for a while as the firmware update had been out a few months. Intel recomends that you run the TRIM utility once a week or the performance will degrade. This takes only seconds on my drive which is approximately 2/3 full.

Like all drive manufacturers, they rate a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes rather than the binary measurement of 2 to the 30th power or 1,073,741,824 bytes. This means that the drive formats out to 37.1 GB on my Windows 7 system using NTFS. This is not a knock against this drive specifically as this is an industry-standard practice, but be aware of this issue as 40 GB is already a tight fit for most folks.

CON:

This drive is not as fast as some other SSD drives because of its single channel architecture. Intel's larger drives (and other manufacturer's larger drives) are faster because they use a dual channel architecture. However, remember that it is a VALUE drive, and quite a bit less expensive than the larger drives.

CONCLUSION:

All-in-all this was a very good purchase that makes my system run faster, cooler, quieter, and use less power. I only gave it a four-star rating because of the comparison to the larger, faster, but more expensive SSDs. Highly Recommended!
on May 20, 2010
I picked up one of these for my Asus EeePC Netbook. It works great! I chose this SSD for several reasons. First, this one has the lowest power consumption rating of all the SSD drives I researched. It should extend my battery life watching movies on long flights.

Second, I like the durability of SSD's. I don't have worry about physical damage from rough handling or dropping, since this will be my main traveling computer.

Third, low noise and low heat. I've been working with computers for 20 years and I absolutely hate noisy computers. This SSD drive makes no noise. It also reduces the internal heat of the netbook, so the cooling fan doesn't need to run as much. Heat is also a waste of battery power.

I re-installed Windows 7 Starter, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Office Tools, Firefox, Skype and all the OEM Crapware. Only 14gb of disk space was used. I was able to use the Windows 7 'Shrink Partition' feature to free up 8gb of space for a Linux partition, and 16gb of free disk space to spare for movies. I would have given this drive 5 stars if it was a larger size. At this price, I shouldn't complain. Most other drives in this price range only have 30-32gb of space.

I was concerned that this drive might be too slow. The specs have decent read speed but the write speed is rated slower. It's definitely faster than the factory 160gb Hitachi TravelStar that came with the Netbook. Installing the OS was much faster than with the factory hard drive. This drive is a trade off between speed and disk space. Hey, it's only a $300 netbook. I didn't think it was worth spending $200 for bigger faster SSD. I plan to put the old hard drive in an external USB enclosure for extra storage and backing up my data.

This drive is rated at 1,000,000 hours Mean Time Between Failure. That's about 114 years of continuous use. Funny that it only has a 3 year warranty though.

I'm very happy with this drive. It was between one and the 30gb OCZ Vertex. I went with the Intel drive because it had 10gb more space for the money and used less power. The OSZ drive has a write speed almost 4 times faster, but has 10gb less space and uses more power. Even 40gb is kind of small, but it works for me and has enough room for a dual boot between Windows and Linux. Next time I upgrade a computer, I'll probably go for the 80gb Intel SSD.
on May 10, 2010
This is really a neutered Intel X-25M 80 Gb (it has half the memory and half the channels). It still performs within 80-90 % of the X-25M in most benchmarks. It is a great way to get good SSD performance for very little money, but after installing the OS, some applications and one or two games there will be no more room on the drive. Therefore I would only recommend it for:

1) Systems where you don't want to store a lot of big files (photos, video etc). For example a netbook or a light-use laptop.

2) Systems that have a secondary, bigger drive for storing images, video etc.

3) As part of a Raid setup. This is how I use it. In Raid the operating system sees two or more drives as a single drive, but in reality the reads and writes are split up between the drives, which means higher performance and/or higher data security, depending on the Raid setup. I run two of these in a Raid 0 configuration. It means I get the same amount of drive space as the 80 Gb X-25M but with higher performance, at the same price. Raid is only for experienced users though, because it has some specific drawbacks that I will not go into here.

All in all I am very satisfied with my two X-25V:s. SSD:s still aren't great value for money, but the difference they make for overall system performance is incredible. There's no going back once you have gotten used to them.
on August 10, 2010
Don't buy the adapter like i did bcause it included . Amazon don't mention this for whatever reason and i bought the stupid adapter and now i got to send it back.
on February 27, 2010
This drive is fast. There will be comments about how the specs put it slower than other drives, but my real-world usage shows it as pretty fast. Went from a Windows Experience score of 5.8 to 7.1 for the drive (Q6600 w/ 6GB RAM), though these numbers don't do it justice. It's hard to explain let alone measure or gauge how much snappier and quicker the entire PC *feels*. If you blink you miss certain things that you would use to notice pop up. It also brought up the WE scores for CPU and memory too, interestingly. At this price point you can't really compare to the faster/bigger drives because they all cost quite a bit more. This is a small and easy investment into SSD.

I was disappointed to find out that there was no cloning software, but you can download Acronis True Image Home trial for free and get the job done. Keep in mind that if you have a drive bigger than 40GB that's being replaced by this SSD, which you likely do, you have to shrink the volume on the drive to make sure it's less than 40GB before you can clone. Windows Imaging in Windows 7 may work as but I didn't have much luck with it. in fact, I wasted many hours trying to get it to work with Windows Imaging. Also, Windows 7 is the only Windows OS, I believe, that supports TRIM natively (you can do a manual TRIM with Intel's SSD Toolkit in Win XP and Vista, no support currently for OS X). This is an important feature on second generation drives such as this Intel that is implemented in Windows 7, that help maintain the speed of the drive in the long run.

Keep in mind that 40GB might be a bit small as a replacement for a laptop drive. Windows 7 takes up to 20GB on a fresh install, so that leaves you with about 17-18GB for additional programs. This is plenty of room for additional programs and even some media. Only those who have a large library of movies will have an issue with its size. As a desktop replacement, it's more ideal since you always have a secondary HDD drive to hold all your media, and use the SSD as the boot/OS drive to get the speed benefits.

But overall, I loved it so much I replaced all 6 PCs in my family home with these drives (3 laptops, 3 desktops). Don't ask me why we have so many computers, but they're all starting to age (more than 2 years old), and these SSDs are bringing the life back into them and allowing me to use them for another year or two before completely upgrading again.

This is the best drive upgrade I've ever done in my 20 years of tinkering with computers. Once you get it going you won't regret it.

Update: From my experience so far of upgrading 6 systems with these SSDs I noticed a few things. SSD benefits most from Windows 7. SSDs don't have as a dramatic effect on systems that are more than 3 years old (anything less than C2D 1.46GHz). Systems with 4GB of RAM or more benefited the most.
on June 1, 2010
I bought two of the Intel 40GB X25, stuck them in two of my PCs,and everything works great and fast! Not a whole lot of space (40GB), but coupling it with an 500GB HDD, as a slave, I now have two awesome PCs.
on March 3, 2010
This thing is amazing-- the best upgrade I could have ever done. The only downside is it price-capacity ratio, but oli understand some comprises have to be made, given the technology.

Overall, my computure is better for it.
on November 29, 2010
So finally I decided to try one of the available SSD drives in the market. I choosed the Intel 40GB SSD Drive as it was the cheapest drive and best brand available (in my opinion) at the moment .
The drive is amazing. It has a great speed both for reading and writing. Installing Windows 7 on it was faster than never before and it overall performance is just great. It also increase my battery life as it consumes less power.
The only thing I regret is having choosed a so small drive. Windows 7 takes about 15 GB for itself, and this will only let me 25GB for my data, program, music and others, which is definitely not much.
So I widely recomend Intel SSD, but if you plan to buy one of these drives, try the 80GB model or better.
on December 1, 2014
It's been years and still works. I would highly suggest buying one with a lot more than 40gbs though
on June 11, 2010
It is a nice unit, but only 35mbps write? ouch... there are better out there. I will be testing a few of these this week and reporting here, so keep up if you would like to save yourself the trouble.

Xbench on my iMac 27" running Snow Leopard off this thing via a McAlly Firewire case:

Disk Test 73.33

Uncached Write 11.04 1.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 297.37 95.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 117.65 0.83 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 196.30 36.43 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Upon further testing it is appearant that the real performance hit here is a result of the Firewire limitations. I tore open my iMac 27" and replaced the internal 1TB drive with an Adata 32GB SSD also purchased from Amazon and the benifites are readily appearant. I am going to go post the Xbench scores now under that listing as well:

Results 215.43
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.6.4 (10F569)
Physical RAM 4096 MB