Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

100%

on May 6, 2012
After careful consideration, I bought this processor for my desktop. It works in my ASUS P8Z68 motherboard with zero issues. The Intel Xeon E3-1230 is in my opinion, the best processor right now for the money. It scores over 8.4k on passmark, which is significantly faster than a fully-overclocked 2500k. It uses little power and has little heat, because it doesn't have integrated graphics. Unlike the 2500k, which is comparable in price, this processor does have hyper-threading. For me, this was the perfect processor to buy. It has had zero issues so far. Just keep in mind, if you do purchase this processor, it will need a dedicated graphics card alongside it in order to run properly. Also, this processor is locked, so if you are into overclocking, then this processor is probably not for you. Still, there is no major reason to overclock this processor due to the simple fact that it is already amazingly fast.
on May 2, 2012
Dear Intel,

Thank you for making a Sandy Bridge Xeon that is just right for me. I love its 3.2GHz, 8M cached, quad-core, Hyper-Threaded, VT-x and VT-d goodness. It does everything I want, and nothing I don't. We are like that guy from Inception and the naked chick in that boat movie. Perfect. It's 80W TDP has meant so much to me as its fans whirl semi-silently under my bed, whispering sweet nothings to me as I sleep. We spend our evenings together doing wonderful things with ESXi, and I just know we were meant to be together. Thank you for not setting me up with its crippled sibling, the Xeon E3-1220. It is half the processor that my sweet 1230 is.

I particularly love how humble your about this little gem. There isn't any gold-digging like with those prettied up E5 sisters. No, my 1230 is as reasonable and cost-effective as she is useful.

on June 23, 2012
This is an excellent CPU for a home server. Low power, low heat output and of course low cost but still high performance. Currently running ESXi smoothly and using VT-d, couldn't be happier.
on May 9, 2012
I've had my E3-1230 for about 6 months now and love it. Since I purchased, the price/performance has been unbeatable.

It is at the core of my pet project to build a lower power super computer and with the performance this gives using only 80W it's lived up to everything I've wanted.

Here's my build: http://www.amazon.com/My-mini-ITX-supercomputer/lm/R1ZQX28E04TQRN

The new Intel Gen 3 i5 and i7 at 65W and 77W are pretty amazing, but I'm still extremely happy with my E3-1230.
on February 6, 2013
What a decent CPU. I needed to rebuild my existing server software on more powerful hardware because the older hardware was running out of steam. I used this CPU with a motherboard that supports SATA 3.0 interfaces and connected them to two (2) SSDs to support the OS in a RAID 1 configuration and it worked well. I also purchased a SATA PCIe RAID Card to support some large data disks in a RAID 1 configuration. This is an eight core CPU. Have not had any problems with the CPU since it was installed and the server has been running 24/7 since it was installed (i.e. > 4 Months).
on May 10, 2012
Xeon processors in home desktops are under rated. Received as described in timely manner. Put this in my new machine and has been running like a charm for over a month.