Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on December 28, 2013
I just recently purchased this chip and a new motherboard so I could switch away from my AMD FX8350. This isn't going to be an "I hate AMD" type of review, but I do think each chip has its own place in the market and which you should buy depends heavily on what you play and if you're willing to gamble on the future. I should also note that I used the FX8350 for a year, and I only switched out the motherboard and CPU and kept everything else the same, so I'm in a good position to really compare the difference between the two without a ton of extra variables. I haven't overclocked my new i5 yet as I'm giving the thermal paste some time to cure, so I'll be comparing this stock i5 @ 3.4GHz to my AMD FX8350 that was running @ 4.5GHz 24/7.

FIrst off, this chip is amazing, even at stock speeds. My game of choice right now (Guild Wars 2) runs much smoother than on my previous chip and it does so with higher graphics settings than I was running before. This chip is awesome at single-core performance, so on games that only use a few cores it's quite amazing how much of an improvement it makes. I'm also seeing quite an improvement in other MMO style games like WoW, where I'm not getting the same framerate drops that I was getting before when there are a lot of other people on screen.

In first person shooters, I'm seeing performance that is the same or better than I was seeing before on my overclocked FX8350. However, this is where they have been the closest so far. A lot of new FPS engines are taking better advantage of the 8 cores in the FX series chips, and that will only get better as companies get used to programming games for the new consoles (that just so happen to run 8 core AMD chips in them). However, this 4670k is still fast enough that it more than keeps up, and on a lot of games I was getting a much smoother feeling. Even if both chips stay at 60 FPS most of the time, the i5 doesn't drop frames nearly as much when you do a quick 180 degree turn like the FX8350 would. It feels much faster, even if it's not that much faster on paper when doing benchmarks.

I don't do a lot of video rendering so I can't really comment there, but navigating around Windows 7 64 bit feels just as fast as it ever did, and actually Alt-Tabbing out of a running video game is quite a bit faster than it was before. I haven't encountered anything yet where I've noticed a negative difference going from 8 cores down to only 4. My boot time is also a few seconds faster, but that could be my new motherboard more than the CPU.

So the big question: Should you buy this chip or go with the FX8350? If you haven't already guessed from my review so far, GET THIS CHIP. I don't hate AMD and I don't love Intel. Having compared the two chips, the Intel 4670k is simply better for gaming in today's market. If you do a lot of video rendering and other tasks that utilize all 8 cores, the FX8350 is an awesome chip, but if you're looking to build a gaming PC this is the chip to get. It's a bit more expensive, but for an FX8350 and a good motherboard you're looking a difference of maybe 20-40 dollars. Trust me, it's worth the difference.

This chip feels like what the developers had in mind when they created their games, and that's mostly why I switched. I no longer have to worry if the developers of a game that's coming out have optimized it for 8 cores. I know that this chip will eat it up, and will eat everything up for years to come. The FX8350 is a really powerful chip in desperate need of more developer buy-in. With the new consoles finally coming out, that developer buy-in may be just down the road. For now, though, this is the chip to get for playing games and I don't regret the money I just spent to switch things up (especially after I sell my old stuff on Craigslist).

My Setup:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Case
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard
Intel i5 4670k
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Patriot Viper 3 1866 RAM (8GB)
EVGA GTX 680 GPU
Crucial m4 256GB SSD Boot Drive
Seasonic M12II 850W Power Supply
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2013
Before I start my review of the 4670K, I just want to say that I already own the 4770K and I already know that it's more of a sidegrade over Ivy Bridge. I have written a review of the 4770K on Amazon and I will put a link in the bottom of this review so you guys can read it if you are interested. My main rig has a 4770K that I have overclocked to 4.6Ghz using 1.34 volts and I tried to get it to 4.8Ghz like I did with my 3770K (delidded) but the temps go through the roof (well over 90c) so that's why I keep it at 4.6Ghz.

The 4670K that I got is for my second rig which has a 3570K also overclocked to 4.8Ghz (delidded) and temps stay below 80C using an H100i. The Corsair H100i is an excellent closed liquid cooler that I recommend to anyone who wants to achieve high overclocks with their CPUs. Before I ordered the 4670K, I already knew that the 4670K is barely faster than the 3570K and it's more of a sidegrade rather than an upgrade but I'm the type of person who likes to have the latest tech. Since the 4670K doesn't have HyperThreads, it runs a little bit cooler than my 4770K which is in my main rig. Just like when I upgraded to the 4770K, I have not been able to tell a difference with my new 4570K in all of my games such as BF3, FC3, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Metro LL etc. I wasn't expecting a big performance improvement because I already tested my 4770K vs 3770K and the difference was minimal and it's the same thing with the 4670K.

Just like I said in my other review, if you are a gamer and you have a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU then upgrading to the 4670K won't bring you any improvements. If you got the cash then go right ahead but if you are on a budget then don't bother upgrading. Haswell does run hotter than Ivy Bridge and you will probably need to invest in a better cooler if you want to overclock it. Very few people have been able to achieve 24/7 stable overclocks (4.8Ghz and above) with Haswell and all of them have custom water cooling setups. You will also need to purchase a new motherboard which is disappointing considering the little difference that it brings to the table over Ivy Bridge. It would have been awesome if Haswell was made for LGA 1155 but it's not.

The more I study Haswell, the more I think that it wasn't built for desktop users in mind but instead for laptops. I plan on getting a laptop that comes with Haswell just to see how good the battery life is because everyone keeps talking about it. Just like I said in my 4770K review, Intel has really improved the integrated graphics card in Haswell but it still doesn't deliver smooth fps in games. It still has a hard time playing old games such TF2, L4D2 and CSGO that use the Source Engine. The only reason I would upgrade to Haswell is if I was stuck on an old socket such as LGA 1156 and 1366 but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

In idle, the 4670K stays around 35c which is a bit hotter than my 3570K that idled at 31c. Under load using Prime95 (smallfft), my 4670K at 4.6Ghz (1.31 volts) stays below 80C while my 3570K hovered around 75C. There are some benchmarks that I have made so far.

Cinebench 11.5 (Multi-Threaded)

3570K @ 4.6Ghz = 7.52
4670K @ 4.6Ghz = 7.76

SuperPI 1M

3570K @ 4.6Ghz = 8.104s
4670K @ 4.6Ghz = 8.015s

I have a bunch of games installed in my computer so I decided to do a comparison against the 3570K both at 4.6Ghz. The first three games (TF2, L4D2, CSGO) are tested by using the iGPU @ 1080p since they are not very demanding, the rest of the games are tested by using a GTX 780(stock) @ 2560x1440.

Team Fortress 2 - Max Settings

4670K @ 4.6Ghz = 55fps avg

Sleeping Dogs

3570K @ 4.6Ghz = 58ps avg
4670K @ 4.6Ghz = 60fps avg

So the difference with the first three games using the iGPU is massive in my opinion but it still isn't enough to provide a smooth enough gaming experience using the iGPU. If we move to the other games tested with a GTX 780 then the results become disappointing. The results speak for themselves but it should indicate if you are on an Ivy Bridge CPU then upgrading to Haswell will only give you around 3fps the most. You'd better off overclocking your 3570K and getting better results than a 4670K becuase it overclocks more and runs cooler.

So in the end, I think Intel has focused too much on the iGPU and forgot about the CPU part. I have said it before and I will say it again, Haswell was designed for laptops in mind and also to compete with AMD's APUs. The iGPU in Haswell still falls short against AMD's 6800K but the CPU on Haswell destroys all AMD's CPUs and APUs. Intel has done a fantastic job at improving the iGPU in Haswell and lowering power consumption but it still isn't enough to play games like TF2, L4D2 and CS GO that aren't very demanding. If Haswell was made for LGA 1155 then it would have been awesome but since it requires a completely new motherboard, it will be difficult for me to recommend it to people. If you are coming from an AMD system and want to try out Haswell then it will be a huge upgrade regardless if you are on a FX-8350 or Phenom X6 1100T. I give the same rating that I gave to the 4770K and that is a 8/10 for the tiny improvements that it brings over Ivy Bridge and the new socket.

If you guys want to read my review of the 4770K then just click on this link or you can search for 4770K on Amazon and it should be the first one listed there.

My main rig:

Case: Corsair 900D
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 (Stock)
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6Ghz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W
Ram: Kingston 16GB of RAM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
OS: Windows 7 64bit
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2013
I was building my first desktop (mini ATX gaming) and because of the timing of the release of Haswell it made sense to go with the new tech. I can't say for sure if is worth upgrading from your current CPU, but I can say there is quite a bit of variation in the maximum OC that every chip can achieve. So be aware that you could end up with a chip that will reach 4.8 or 4.9 without too much effort/voltage, or you could end up stuck at 4.4 or 4.5. Because you will be running your chip outside of the manufacturers specs they obviously can't guarantee anything really, you just have to get lucky. It appears that I did pretty well because my i5 gets up to 4.7 stable (1.285V), and needs very low voltage (compared to the average) to run every OC up to that multiplier. I like to run it at 4.6 GHz (1.220V) for my 24/7 overclock, and I use 4.7 for benchmarking. I have even started tweaking 4.8, and although it boots into windows it has proven difficult to get totally stable.

Some nice features about Haswell is it's ability to still offer power saving features while overclocking, and it's integrated voltage regulator gets rid of Vdroop thus makes setting your overclock voltage a little easier. You won't have to mess with Load Line Calibration and other Digi+ features because the chip regulates it's own voltage. This does however contribute to the extra heat. You don't have to disable power saving features while overclocking and I use C States to lower the multiplier and power draw when the chip is not being used to it's full potential.

According to reports from other owners Haswell runs hot, but I have an H100i installed in my system so it allows me to go right up to 4.8 without any throttling. Stress testing will produce temps near the chips threshold at higher clocks (depending on the test used), but idle and gaming/benchmarking loads are average 31°C and 56°C respectively. Depending on the multiplier and voltage, stress tests like Prime 95 and OCCT will run around 70°C, but Linpack benchmarks can get up into the 90°-98°C range. So make sure you plan accordingly. Not having good cooling will only further limit your OC, and your ability to stress test it adequately. I am using Kingston Hyper X 1600 MHz XPM enabled RAM and it works great. It is easy to optimize using the XMP profiles and it allows you to easily focus your attention on finding and stabilizing your OCs. I would recommend starting by setting your core voltage to 1.200-1.250V (manual input mode, or override) and leaving everything at stock or auto. Then raise your multiplier until you can't boot into windows. Go back down one and see if you can further stabilize it. Don't stress test with adaptive core voltage mode until you have found your stable core voltage because it will cause the system to override your input voltage and draw up to 0.100V extra in stability tests, which can easily cause overheating, plus it will mess up your stability test because of the added voltage. Although the general idea of overclocking Haswell will be similar to previous generations there are small differences that will have to be learned.

Overall I think Haswell has performed great for me, although results will undoubtedly vary. I bought my CPU not knowing much about overclocking and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and my results. It did take me a good amount of time tweaking settings and then testing over and over but it produced a reliable and high performance overclock. Not to mention I spent (and still spend) time in a few Haswell overclockers forums to share tips from other owners. So although Haswell has it's own nuances and differences from past generations overclocking it is pretty easy on the surface. Trial and error along with some luck in the silicon lottery can net a great overclock. I would recommend it to those of you thinking of building a system from the ground up.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2013
overclocked to 4.3 ghz on air cooling it idles around 30c and pushes to load around 77c(ive never pushed past 60c while gaming). this thing is an absolute monster. running with a samsung evo ssd and 7 cas corsair vengence oced to 1866mhz .... i boot to desktop in under 5 seconds. best cpu i ever owned by far. this is all anyone ever needs for gaming. remember its only .5 fps difference between the 4770k and the 4670k. forget about amd for gaming and the i7. unless you're also doing video editing or autocad this is pretty much the best consumer cpu in the world for the moment. just make sure you get a z87 motherboard. even with just a 7870ghz gpu and this cpu i run crysis 3 at 45fps in very high with no aa and farcry 3 ultra at 60 all day in 1080p.

other thoughts: i wish i used diamond thermal compound because i probably could have gotten much closer to 70c at load. i might actually pull my cpu out and redo it.
on September 12, 2013
Paired this with a Radeon 7950 and it's running any game I throw at with max settings. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Stay away from i7's. You won't be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2014
First off let me start by saying that this is a really, really great CPU. This is the chip I decided to go with when building my gaming/work PC because of many reasons. First, it is the newest chip Intel has to offer and it is really a solid chip for the money. Second, it is overclockable and does really well with gaming and pretty much any other task you may throw at it; I've done some video rendering because I record my gameplay and it was wickedly fast at rendering and processing the 3.5GB video, so 5 stars there. Third, it is good with power consumption, it is better than it's Ivy bridge predecessor in that matter.
I do quite a bit of gaming, not everyday but whenever I get the chance and it runs super smooth with all the games I've thrown at it even Crysis 3 which for those who know, that game is the most resource demanding game to be on the PC platform because I have a GTX780 and I still can't fully max it out(for the most part I can but a setting is on medium i think).
I am a network engineer and student so I run a lot of programs that are quite demanding for my system such as having multiple VMs up and running, Packet tracers, multiple tabs on browsers and when I game, I have the GeForce Experience Shadowplay technology running which allows me to record my gameplay and I have not had any problems with my machine as I am still able to do everything I need to without the CPU breaking a sweat, it hovers around 60% used or so.
This CPU however, does run pretty hot but with Arctic Silver and a dedicated heat sink you should be alright since I got my temperatures in BIOS running at around 31 degrees Celsius and under load around 47 and with games and stuff it will go up to 80 degrees, so those are pretty good temperatures for the CPU. The heat threshold for the CPU is also quite high so there's that fact to give you some peace of mind. Also make sure the PC is in a wide and open area with good cable management, and ventilation set up and by that I mean make sure the fans are positioned in a way that it brings the hot air out from the case and cool air into the case, that will help with temperatures as well. If you have a liquid cooling system in place then heat from the CPU will be no problem.
Overall, I am quite overly content with this CPU because it offers the power I need without jeopardizing anything else and it's overclockable so you can bring out even more power from this guy if need be. Running at stock it still offers quite a lot of performance because it also has Turbo Boost technology 2.0 in place that bumps up the clock speed to around 3.8GHz from it's stock 3.4GHz if it needs the extra power but you can overclock this to around 4.6-4.7GHz I've seen so try it out but make sure you know what you're doing if the CPU isn't stable then it can damage the CPU indefinitely.
Keep in mind, if you do decide to go with this CPU which I definitely recommend you won't have to upgrade anytime soon. If you're a gamer you should know that games are taking advantage of resources more and more with the coming years and with this CPU it gives you the ability to not worry if your CPU will be able to handle it;given you need a good GPU as well for your machine to be future-proof. Either way, you will not regret getting this CPU because it really is a great one and at this moment it is currently $209.99 which is fantastic since I paid $20 dollars more.
I do hope my review has given you some insight on this CPU and my experience with it so you could make your choice of which CPU would best fit your needs!
on May 7, 2014
After being a loyal AMD customer for 15+ years I decided to switch to Intel given AMD's latest developments / future business plans. Well let me just say my "Six Core" AMD FX-6300 OC @ 5GHz gets SMOKED by this Quad Core i5 Processor with default settings! If your a gamer like me this is the best line (along with the Ivy and Sandy equivalent) processor to get! You will see no noticeable benefit from an i7 in games just get that if you need to run 3D Design programs / CAD for your work. If you just user your computer for gaming and business like most users this i5 4670K is the best to go with. Mine overclocked easily to 4.7GHz with an Corsair H60 High Performance Cooler. Can't go wrong here!
on December 16, 2013
Paired this with a MSI Z87-GD65. No issues whatsoever.

The included heatsink is pretty tiny. I used a Zalman 9700. Temps are around 32C idle and 62C at full load.

Very impressed with how far this CPU can go. I highly recommend this CPU. Plays games with no issues. I had no need for an i7 unless you are video rendering or just want to spend the extra cash. This CPU handles Skyrim, BF4, Crysis, etc... just fine.
on November 17, 2013
Very fast cpu. Great for gaming and everyday use. Runs a bit hot especially over clocked, so I would definitely recommend liquid cooling. I hope others have better luck with the silicon lottery as mine will only get to a stable oc of 4.3 ghz, even with a Corsair h100i liquid cooler. Over 4.3 ghz requires too much much voltage to be safe(around 1.4v), and the temps soar past 90 degrees c.
Even at stock speeds this cpu rocks.
on May 4, 2014
I just started my gaming computer rig, which consist of a Asus z87 gaming motherboard, MSI Afterburner 2gb ggrd 5 graphics card, 16 gb of consair vengance ram, the consair GS700 powersupply, LG blu-ray player and 2 tb wd hardrive and of course this processor. Before I had a high end dell with a i7 in it and the specs were better than this. But now that I look back the i5 is better for overclocking and just period! dont waste your money (100$) for the i7!