5.0 out of 5 stars Magic
Haven't seen my son leave his room once he put it in his gaming machine. Starting to wonder what my son looks like. Wish I could give one to my boss at work and get the same effect.
Published 7 months ago by dCabral

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Upgrading Over Ivy Bridge!
Published 15 months ago by MOAR COARS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Upgrading Over Ivy Bridge!, June 1, 2013
This review is from: Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor (3.5 GHz, 8 MB Cache, Intel HD graphics, BX80646I74770K) (Personal Computers)
Update#3: I spent the last few months testing and analyzing the 4770K and now it's time to share those results with you guys. I have come to the conclusion that the VRM (voltage regulator) that Intel has integrated into the die does more harm than good. Every since I bought this chip and overclocked it, I have noticed that it's been degrading faster than my 2600K and 3770K which both were overclocked to the same frequency (4.6Ghz) as my 4770K. I have noticed that I need to add at least a minimum of 0.007 volts every few months because my CPU starts to crash out of the blue even though it used to be 100% stable when I have tested it. I bought the 4770K the first day it came out and I immediately overclocked it to 4.6Ghz using around 1.34 volts which used to be 100% stable and then it slowly started to degrade. I have kept my 2600K and 3770K overclocked to 4.6Ghz for years and they haven't degraded one bit. I'm still using the same amount of voltage on my 2600K and 3770K that I did when I first got them and they are still going strong. Haswell on the other hand wants more and more voltage to be stable at the same settings that it used to be.

Here are the results that I have recorded these past few months using the 4770K:

Month------Frequency/Voltage

June:------4.6Ghz 1.3400 volts | I got the chip the first day it was released and oc'd it to 4.6Ghz using 1.3400 volts and it was 100% stable. I was a happy camper :)

July:------4.6Ghz 1.3400 volts | so far so good but there were some moments when my system would hang but I just ignored it.

August:----4.6Ghz 1.3470 volts | I started getting random crashes even though I had made no changes to my computer or upgraded anything since I bought the chip. The only way to stop those crashes was to add a bit of voltage to the CPU so I added 0.007 volts and my problems went away. That might not seem like a lot of voltage but overtime it accumulates and the temps slowly starts to increase.

Sept:------4.6Ghz 1.3470 volts | so far so good. I didn't experience any hangs or freezes in Sept but then again I didn't use my computer all that much because I was studying for exams.

Oct:-------4.6Ghz 1.3540 volts | My computer started crashing again on October even though nothing was changed from last time. I formatted my computer because I thought maybe I had installed something but it still was crashing. As soon as I added another 0.007 volts, my system stopped crashing.

Nov:-------4.6Ghz 1.3540 volts | My computer seems stable now but there are some random moments where it freezes for no reason or it just hangs during games(BF4, Crysis 3, Batman AO, Metro LL, etc). I feel like I may need to add a bit more voltage to get it again fully stable. I have made no changes/upgrades to my computer since I bought the chip but yet, it still wants more voltage to be stable at the same settings that it used to be.

My 2600K and 3770K haven't degraded since I bought them but my 4770K is degrading faster than any chip I have ever owned. If you Google "haswell degradation", you will see a lot of people that are having the same issue as me. You have to keep in mind that whenever I'm adding ~0.007 volts every few months, the temperatures are also getting harder and harder to control. My advice to anyone who is looking to buy this chip or has already bought it is to not overclock it past 4.2-4.3Ghz or your chip will degrade very quickly. I think I'm going to drop my frequency to 4.2Ghz because the temperatures are getting out of control even though my chip used to be 100% stable at 4.6Ghz when I first got it and my H100i was able to keep the temps low. But now, the temperatures are quickly reaching 90c. And for that specific reason, I'm going to take off another star from my review because Intel has really cut corners on the design of Haswell.

Update#2: I finally overclocked my 4770K to 4.6Ghz using 1.34 volts and the temps stay below 85c. I tried running it at 4.8Ghz like I did with my 3770K (delidded) but the temps go well over 90c so it's not 24/7 stable. I'm using an H100i from Corsair to overclock my 4770K and it keeps it relatively cool at this frequency. The motherboard that I'm using to overclock my 4770K is the Asus Sabertooth Z87. It's an amazing motherboard and I highly recommend it to everyone if you want the best motherboard for LGA 1150 socket. You can get some crazy high overclocks with that motherboard and it has not problems handling volts well over 1.4+. I have posted the link to my review of the Asus Sabertooth Z87 at the bottom of this review in case you guys want to read it.

Update#1: I finally had some time this weekend to do more benchmarks in more games that I play and I was rather disappointed from the results that I got. I have updated my review with more benchmarks from popular games so make sure to look at the results below.

It's been two days since I got my 4770K and I have been testing the hell out of it, from stock speeds to overclocking it to extreme settings. I can safely say that it's not worth upgrading if you have an Ivy Bridge CPU (3570K, 3770K). My previous CPU was the 3770K and I had it overclocked to 4.8Ghz using only 1.38 volts with an H100i from Corsair. I delidded my 3770K and now my temps never go above 80c. Now that I have the 4770K, overclocked to the same frequency, the difference is ~2-3% faster in pretty much everything that I have tested, from games to applications. So far I have not been able to tell a difference in games (BF3, FC3, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro LL etc) except for 3fps extra. Don't expect huge fps improvements in games that's what I'm saying.

If you are a gamer and you have a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU then I don't recommend upgrading because you'd need a new motherboard which isn't worth it in my opinion. Haswell wasn't built for desktop users in mind but instead for laptops/ultrabooks and that's where it shines. The integrated graphics card is much more efficient and faster than what it was in Ivy Bridge but it still doesn't deliver smooth fps in games. I tried playing Team Fortress 2 in 1080P and it started lagging so bad that it wasn't playable. If you are stuck on an old socket such as LGA 1156, 1366 then this CPU is for you. You will notice huge improvements coming from one of those sockets.

Now let's talk about benchmarks and power consumption.

In idle, the CPU consumes roughly 39-41 watts and that's a bit better than my old 3770K which consumed ~70 watts. Under load using Prime95 (smallfft), my 3770K at 4.8Ghz pulled ~260 watts and now the 4770K pulls ~274 watts. 4770K's TDP is 84 watts which is 7 watts higher than the 3770K. I'm not really concerned about power consumption because it's not that big of a difference coming from an Ivy Bridge CPU. With my 3770K @ 4.8Ghz (delidded), the temps never go above 80c but with the 4770K @ 4.8Ghz, the temps are going well above 90c and that's not 24/7 stable for me. I will look more into this later(maybe delid it like I did with the 3770K?)

Cinebench 11.5 (Multi-Threaded)

3770K @ 4.8Ghz = 9.72
4770K @ 4.8Ghz = 9.87

All the games that I have tested so far have been at max Settings @ 2560x1440/GTX780 (Stock).

Far Cry 3

4770K @ 4.8Ghz = 56fps avg

Sleeping Dogs

3770K @ 4.8Ghz = 64ps avg
4770K @ 4.8Ghz = 66fps avg

As you can see from my results above, the difference is minimal in games which makes upgrading to Haswell worthless if you are coming from an Ivy Bridge CPU. I noticed an increase in fps by 3 to 5 frames in most games and I even lost a few fps in some games.

Overall, Intel has a done a nice job at improving the integrated GPU and lowering power consumption but it feels like Intel focused too much on laptops/ultrabooks and forgot about the desktop users this time. I'm still testing the CPU and I will update my review once I'm able to do more tests. If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will be more than happy to reply. I would recommend Haswell for desktop users that are stuck on an old sockets(1366, 1156)but not being backwards compatible is what kills this chip. For those who are on an AMD system and are thinking about upgrading then it will be totally worth it and the difference will be huge both in games and applications. Since Intel has no competition in the desktop realm then focusing on raw performance is not what they are after anymore. I give this CPU a solid 8/10 because of the tiny improvements over Ivy Bridge and the new socket.

If you guys want to read my review of the Asus Sabertooth Z87 then it should be the first one listed there.

My full rig:

Case: Corsair 650D
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (still experimenting)
PSU: Corsair AX850
Ram: Kingston 16GB of RAM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
OS: Windows 7 64bit

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, January 28, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Processor, But only a modest jump in performance, June 2, 2013
I picked up this CPU for use in my Home theater setup, so that is what I will focus on... I'll leave the tech specs to others...

**Update: My CPU average temperatures at idle were 35C, using the same cooling setup on the 4770K I am seeing 32C... Also the Case ambient temps were 30C and now are 28C... Under load the CPU used to hit 69C, it now hits only 60C... This is using the same cooler as was used with the 3770K. So this CPU does appear to have a significant thermal advantage over the 3rd Gen i7 3770K...** This might be important if you are building a micro PC... Keep in mind these temps are at stock levels, I did not overclock my 3770K and have not done it on the 4770K... I bought the K option just in case I decided to do it...

This did change my "windows Experience Index" score from a 7.7 for the CPU (on the 3770K) to a 7.8 (on the 4770K)That is on a scale of 1.0-7.9 It did not change any other ratings on the system...
Determine from that what you will, but my actual usage scenario is below...

Keep in Mind, This CPU uses the 1150 Socket, not the 1155, So you will need a Motherboard that supports The 1150 Socket (but will fit CPU coolers designed for 1155 or 1156 sockets)... So if you plan to upgrade you're probably going to need a new Motherboard as well...

This is my real world experience:

I run Windows 7 with Various media programs installed, These include XBMC, MediaBrowser, Media Center Master, Serviio among a few others...

The major task I use this CPU for is simultaneously serving media to 6-8 TVs and keeping my media collection up to date and organized. Honestly an i7 is a bit overkill for this but I wanted to be sure I could handle even the most intense 1080p 3D trans-coding and streaming with all the TVs running at once. I jumped to the i7 4770K from the 3770K and honestly I see no real world difference...

The media does not seem measurably quicker, nor does it raise the quality (I use a discrete video Card for Graphics processing)...

Overall I think this CPU is awesome, but it is a modest jump from the 3770K and if you are on 3rd gen Intel i7 already I would skip the upgrade and stick with what you have, but if you are coming from a Gen 1-2 i7 the upgrade would be worth it... Spending upwards of $400 or more to upgrade (CPU and Motherboard)for a modest improvement just doesn't seem like a great value, but the significant improvements from the older Gen 1/2 i7's would make it worth the upgrade.

4 Stars for the Modest advancement, had this really made an impact in my home theater setup I could have given it 5 stars.

Components in my personal Build:
Silverstone Tek GD-08 Case
ASUS Z87-PRO Intel Z87 4DIMM ATX
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80+ Bronze
SAMSUNG 840 250GB 2.5 SATA III
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50 GHz LGA1150
Kingston XMP 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 (Kit of 4) XMP
Blu-ray Optical Drive
5 Western Digital Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III (12TB Usable with Raid Config)
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card

Just my thoughts,

MG

5.0 out of 5 stars Modest improvement over 3770k, June 1, 2013
Brandon (GAINESVILLE, VA, United States) - See all my reviews
This is the top-end version of Intel's new Haswell processor lineup, released on Jun 2 2013. The "K" suffix means it can be overclocked.

Last year's equivalent version of this processor is the Ivy Bridge 3770k.

The reviews show an average of about 7% better performance compared to the 3770k, although it varies from 1-20% depending on the application (this assumes neither chip has been overclocked).

There's also a decrease in idle power consumption (one review claimed 46W for 3770k down to 34W with 4770k, but didn't correct for motherboard differences so it's hard to tell exactly how much the processor helped). In contrast, under heavy load the 4770k's power consumption appears to be higher than the 3770k.

The 4770k has much better integrated graphics performance than the 3770k, although I would expect many people who buy this part won't be using the integrated graphics. If you have an expensive video card already, who cares? Still, some may find it useful.

One caveat with this "K" part (compared to the 4770 without K suffix) is that it does not appear to include support for the new TSX extensions. It's not clear why Intel left that out, and frankly kind of disappointing. Very little software makes use of these extensions right now, but it could be important for multi-threadded software in the future.

For new PCs the 4770k seems like a decent choice, although there's a pretty hefty price premium over the 3770k at the moment. I certainly wouldn't be eager to upgrade if I already had a 2700k or a 3770k.

For overclockers the value proposition is even less clear because the 4770k appears to run a bit hotter than the 3770k at the same clock speed, limiting maximum overclock potential.

Still, I'm buying one on launch day. You should compare costs and check out the detailed reviews available to see if it's worth it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great processor but the fan..., December 31, 2013
This i7-4770k was the core of my first computer build - so I was ignorant what to expect. I did an external build first to test the motherboard, RAM and processor - everything worked fine but the Intel processor fan above the processor (that came from Intel with the chip). it would not spin without a "push start" and was noisy when it did spin. So I did some reading on Intel processor fans and some reviewers said they were junk - and based on my limited experience I had to agree. I decided to purchase an after market Master Cooler processor fan to replace the stock Intel fan. As I removed the stock Intel processor fan from the motherboard was where I learned my processor fan lesson - look closely at the fan wires. Intel had clipped the wire for the fan's power so tightly to the perimeter of the fan's plastic exterior that it impeded the fan's ability to spin and caused the noise. Intel gives sufficient fan wire length so there was no need for it to be so tight around the fan's perimeter and as soon as I made the wires longer and away from the fan it started quickly and quietly. But I had already taken the time and spent $35 on the Master Cooler fan, so I installed it anyway rather than taking more time to return it. The Master Cooler processor fan (212 Evo) was much bigger than the stock fan but still incredibly quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overclocked to 4.5 GHZ, January 4, 2014
This is the third i7 4770k I am trying.I rate it 5 stars because I knew from the beginning what were my chances to overclock this with low voltage to 4.5 Ghz.This particular CPU was very easily overclocked to 4.5 Ghz at 1.265 volts,which I consider really good and adequate for my needs,using Revit Architecture and rendering models with the best option.I just wanted to advice people that any i7 4770k can either be overclocked easily or cannot,there is no middle situation.If it can overclock to a particular frequency, then by just changing the Vcore,Vciin and may be the ring voltage,then it will,if it cannot whatever you do,whatever settings you manipulate it will not,this my final statement after trying lots of settings and following lots of guides.If it does not overclock easily to your required frequency ,say 4.5 ghz,then either settle for less or sell and take your chances with another.
The previous two that I tried were Malaysian origin,the third and best was Costas Rica,its not the best out there but good enough for me and for 24/7 use.
My settings are
CPU multiplier 45
Ring multiplier 44
Vciin 1.81 v
Vcore 1.265
Vring 1.22
Ram overclocked from 1600 Mhz to 2000 Mhz(some minor fiddling with the timings)
Vram 1.575 (rated at 1.5 v)
All other settings AUTO.

Please my advice is do not loose your time with other settings manipulation,its a waste of time.
I hope the above will help some of you

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid CPU, but order premium heatsink compound., September 9, 2013
Easy to install, very fast, good overclocking support (which I don't regularly use). At non-OC speeds however, the thermal characteristics of the package are somewhat inadequate - during intensive GPU use the processor package throttles down on heat warning. This is because the heat compound that comes already applied on the unit does not make a great seal (it also requires a lot of pressure to secure the fan on because it is not liquid!). After scraping that junk off and applying some real heatsink compound, heat problem vanished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luck was not in my corner., February 16, 2014
I got an about average overclocker. I was able to get 4.5ghz out of 1.285 volts. Running the Corsair h100i cpu cooler and temps during benchmarks still got up around 78c. A little warmer than what I was hoping for so I ended up just backing it down to 4.2ghz to keep temps really low.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cpu without going over-budget, January 11, 2014
I built my first computer ever using this processor and I'm extremely happy with the results. It operates at low temperatures and is wicked fast. I over clocked it very little to avoid needing to buy more fans or an aftermarket cpu cooler and it performs exceptionally well. Nails a 7.7 out of 7.9 on the windows hardware rating system with no over clocking.
Note: There is no reason to pay more than $249.99 for this processor, which is how much I got it for from microcenter. It's odd that it's priced so high on amazon. I normally find the best price on this site, but that's not the case for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed with this CPU, April 19, 2014
Love the integrated graphics they are much better than previous versions. That said, it allowed me to wait and save for a better GPU for my dream PC! Intel has done well with keeping power consumption low, it averages around 68 watts and thats awesome to me where electricity is expensive. I paired it with a cooler master 212 and it is clocked at 4.4ghz and stable as well as staying cool around 30c idle 40c heavy use! I imagine once I get my GPU it will stay even cooler since it won't be running graphics. Awesome CPU! I recommend this its a powerful workhorse...

Rate and Discover Movies