Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2011 9:50:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 11:50:50 AM PST
Chef Sean says:
A mod was just released that fixes Skyrim's goofy UI, at least on the inventory screen. This guy hasn't done the magic screen yet but I hope he does soon.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

Let me be the first to tell you: It rocks! Highly recommended. It uses a horizontal bar at the top of the screen that lists all the inventory categories so scrolling is all but eliminated. Comparing stats is a breeze now!

I just hope it survives the upcoming patch.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 2:08:10 PM PST
Buck Field says:
God I hope they fix that horrible interface! Frustrating as hell.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 5:57:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 5:58:12 PM PST
Might I ask whats wrong with it? Sure A misclick happens here or there but thats all i've run into in my 50 hours of playing. And i'm using a Keyboard and Mouse.

Edit: That posted UI does look nice though

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 3:06:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 5:01:15 AM PST
Buck Field says:
Let's see: Perks navigation is astonishingly mouse unfriendly, and if you've not repeated lines, sold/bought incorrect items, or been kicked out of dozens of conversations by (in Windows terms): not triggering a mouseover event at the right time to change focus and simply clicking your selection as in all previous TES games, then congratulations to you. The rest of us are furious.

Also: some clicks do nothing, such as in conversations. Go to sell something and click the Tab/Exit shown at the screen bottom, it is in a window shown sitting on top of the vertical sidebar, yet cannot be clicked. There are many mistakes like this.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 9:36:33 AM PST
kpsting says:
What's wrong with it? (rhetorical question)
Items are arranged in long vertical lists of names (luckily they're alphabetical lol), for starters. Accounting for mis-clicks, scrolling delay, lack of sorting, etc. I'm estimating that getting, for whatever reason, to a particular item takes on average 5 TIMES as long as it should have if the UI was optimized properly.

The spacing between names of items is too big and the lists are too big.

You can't assign a hot-key to a favorite right there where you choose that item as a favorite. Instead you have to tab out of a specific list then open favorites menu, then scroll through that menu because for some reason it's made as a tiny window down in the lower left corner of the screen and then assign the key... and then you find out that items randomly lose their hot-key assignments "just because" (just like a cherry on top of this nasty 'cake' lol)

Of course you can get used to it... and maybe even come to like it and wanting to stick to it even long after a proper UI becomes available. It's kind of like with those prisoners that after doing long time and finally being released don't know what to do or how to live life normally. Heck, if I was bullied all my life and developed all sorts of elaborate behavioral and time-consuming ways of avoiding being bullied I might have big difficulties giving up those behaviors...
and Right now the Skyrim UI is bullying me, so to speak LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 5:43:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2011 6:04:27 PM PST
Chef Sean says:
"Might I ask whats wrong with it?"

Scrolling down endlessly long, skinny lists (that only get longer the further you play) while about 75% of the screen is essentially unused? That's the problem I had. I'm not saying Skyrim's default UI is broken, it's just grossly inefficient.

That mod I linked doesn't fix all of Skyrim's UI problems but man oh man does it make dealing with your inventory A LOT easier!

Gotta love the mod scene. That reason alone is why I'll never go console.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 7:08:38 PM PST
Chef Sean says:
There's some crafting mods out now too. You can make arrows, melt down old gear into raw materials etc. Great stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 8:06:23 AM PST
T. J. Young says:
@Buck Field,

Yeah 113+ hours into the game and I've experience NONE of your issues. I've noticed it's difficult to move from one side of a perk to the other with the keyboard, but mouse clicking resolved that. Aside from that, no problems at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 9:46:50 AM PST
Buck Field says:
TJ,

You can leave a conversation by mouseclicking the Tab/Exit shown at the bottom of the Merchant screen?

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 10:51:44 AM PST
kpsting says:
Anyone know if and how you can highlight more than 1 potion effect when you're making potions, so that in the second column it gives you a list of overlapping ingredients that cover all the effects that you chose?

I think with 3 ingredients total in theory there should be a combo potion possible with like 6 effects LOL. Anyway, two or three different effects in a single potion should be a very common occurrence in this system.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 4:16:06 AM PST
Buck Field says:
@kpsting,

You didn't even mention that the inventory isn't sortable. For example: we need to know what loot, out of hundreds of items, is weighing us down most. Efficient selling requires selecting high-value options for a merchant to be sold first when available gold is the constraint rather than weight. Other constraints can take precedence not only selling loot, but enchanting, and mixing potions, etc., but in each case the user is forced to review each possible item and try to remember the top value for the important factor and the entry containing that factor, then remember the next new value and entry while scrolling through lists.

It's pretty ridiculous.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 1:15:32 PM PST
Luffy says:
anyone actually tried the mod UI, I see it all the time and I'm tempted to use it but I want to know if it's fairly bug free

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 1:57:07 PM PST
kpsting says:
@Buck
Yes, I agree it's an additional pain in the neck.

@Luffy
I'm using the UI mod (QT interface or whatever it's called), which lists items in a table but only works with merchants. Categories are arranged horizontally at the top of the screen outside of the main table, so basically the leftmost column in the un-modded game was horizontally transposed to the top. Equipped items are positioned always at the top of the list and it's both helpful or an obstacle, depending on a situation. There are categories like weight, price (which strangely doesn't list the same price as that the actual sell/buy price at merchants, might be default price with speechcraft at level zero or something), and price/weight ratio (so far useless IMO). It is SORTABLE. Also, I'm not exactly positive but it might have made mouse use in the inventory or merchant UI even more buggy than in unmodded game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:21:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2011 2:21:56 PM PST
Luffy says:
I went to the skyrimnexus site at home and saw one of the hottest mod there was this SkyUI, not sure if what you are using is called the same. I can't open skyrimnexus here in the office so I'm not sure whether the OP was referring to the same mod. Inventory management can be a real pain, was waiting for this mod to be more stable before installing it but if you are getting mouse buggyness then I'll definitely wait some more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 3:30:45 AM PST
Buck Field says:
@Luffy - Thanks for the link, their UI upgrades looks awesome!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC by Bethesda Softworks (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (1,162)