5.0 out of 5 stars Conserving energy is the green thing to do
Published on December 17, 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars water heater timer
Bought this model of timer about 3 years ago. It has failed. It is easy to install and use but the main power relay coil has failed and I can't repair it so I must order another one.
Published on December 30, 2010 by R. Saxton

5.0 out of 5 stars Conserving energy is the green thing to do, December 17, 2008
This review is from: Intermatic EH40 240-Volt Electronic Water Heater Timer (Tools & Home Improvement)
Ever take one of those energy self-audits? Mine had high marks for the easy things- insulation, updated windows, weather stripping, etc. But my water heater- I cannot install the 'tankless', because I have no chimney. It has always been electric, but keeping 55 gallons hot all 24 hours is not efficient. So I ordered the Intermatic, and once installed outside the breaker panel, found it to be as easy to operate as a setback thermostat.
You can set it to heat up prior to morning showers, then (on weekdays) turn the power off, and heat up again in time for evening meals, cleaning, etc. Weekends can be an entirely different schedule. There is even a 'shutoff' feature to bypass the schedule while you take vacation. Instructions are clear, and programmed from the front.
I feel this is saving money (and more still when we get Time-of-Day pricing).

3.0 out of 5 stars water heater timer, December 30, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Timer, October 3, 2009
Easy to install.
Has timer settings for each day or the 5 day week with separate weekend settings which are what I use.
Can have several on/off setting on each of the days.
I set mine to turn off when I go to work and turn on when I get back so I can shower then turn off before I go to bed and come on just before I get up.
The water does not cool much while it is off since I do not use it then. When it does turn on it does not take much time to get the water back to the right temp.
There is also a manual on/off button just in case.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT MUCH LONGEGIVITY, September 2, 2011
commodore64 (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This one worked fine but crapped out after 18 months (warranty only good for 1 year) At $62 a unit, it's questionable whether I broke even on electricity savings. A disappointment.
Updated Review:
I feel obligated to update my rating from two stars to four. The company's support was outstanding and I bought a replacement. I must admit the the first unit worked perfectly until it malfunctioned and my new unit is just humming along. I'm a satisfied camper.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected it to last longer and customer support is not good, July 11, 2012
I bought this unit to work with our time-of-day electric rates. It's nice and worked well for three years until it recently stopped working. I'll replace it with the same model. If it again goes out within three years, I'll find a different timer from a different manufacturer.

Update October 2012 - I kept my old timer that stopped working and learned it is a blown resistor. I called Intermatic, Inc. and inquired about the type of resistor so I could fix it and keep it as a spare. I was told by their technical support folks they couldn't tell me the specs. because the specs. are "proprietary." Unbelievable! They don't want me to fix it so I'll have to buy a new one. Because of their customer support, I'm lowering my rating to two stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Time of Use vs. Return on Investment, June 29, 2011
I purchased this device, very skeptical of its return on investment. Here in Toronto, Ontario Canada, our government has implemented Time of Use hydro rates.

A breakdown of my own usage:

$0.10 - $0.20 average saved per weekday x 252 weekdays in a calendar year (minus stat holidays)
= $30+ dollars savings per year, minimum of 2 years to realize the initial Return on Investment. Weekends have marginal savings, due to the low TOU rate being used.

Install:

Quite simple, if you've performed electrical work in the past, and possibly have a relative in the family to describe the wiring procedure. It is advisable that you turn off the breaker or remove the fuse from the main electrical panel prior to installation. This should be a 240v circuit. Otherwise hire an electrician or you could fry yourself, the panel, and the water heater.

Programming:

Easy as sliced bread, as long as you can program an alarm clock, you're good to go on this one, just don't forget to return the lever to the 'run' position after you've programmed the device.

Maintenance:

Monitor your energy use, review the hydro bill, fiddle around with the programming to make the most efficient use of this device. Provides a good excuse to share a shower with the spouse, "Hun, we're conserving hot water in the process!"

Good luck, and enjoy the savings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, May 3, 2011
Pros: Good number of programmable events, master on/off override & it's accessible outside the box, the box can be locked (not so much of a plus for me, not what I was looking for), the relay contact circuit is independent of the timer power, light to show if the device is switched on or not, easy installation (one small exception, noted below), both braided and solid conductor jumpers included (depending on what type of wire you're working with external to the device), French & Spanish instruction stickers for the inside of the door provided, CSA approved.

Cons: The round knock-outs on the bottom and side of the box are a bit hard to actually knock out, the jumpers provided are a tad on the short side (read below).

Overall: The jumpers are indeed too short if you try to use them as depicted in the instructions -- they won't reach. However, they don't need to be installed that way. (See diagram)

A-B-1-2-3-4 -- A&B: Timer Power, 1&2 Contact 1, 3&4 Contact 2

IF you are using 240V (this model) for the timer and the contacts, the instructions say jumper A-3 and B-1 -- the jumpers are too short to go from A to 3. BUT if you jumper A-1 and B-3, they reach fine. They're still a tad short for my taste, but they will reach.

I love this product because we're on Time-of-use electricity billing now, and this device allows us to turn our 60-Gal, 4500 Watt electric hot water tank off during the day and on at night during the low rate times. We don't have Natural Gas out where we live or I'd switch the tank over to either a gas-fired tank or an on-demand type unit.

I'd be happy to respond to questions about the unit or installation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Engineering Issues, January 23, 2011
The timer is easy to install, but has an issue with some heater elements.
If your heater element creates a lot of electrical "noise", the timer may reset or stop working all together.
Calling Intermatic support will get you a set of filters that you will need to install, but
for our installation, did not help and still causes the timer to malfunction causing
you to take some cold showers...

3.0 out of 5 stars The timer is not durable, February 15, 2011
I use this timer to control my water heater. It is not real easy to program but after hours of practice I have it figured out. ONce it is programmed it works fine. However, it is not durable. I have had to replace it three times in two years. I should find another timer but it is easier to keep ordering a new one and popping the new timer into the old housing. If it breaks again, however, I will definitely seek another brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used about 5 years...failed...repaired, January 23, 2013
Mine worked great for about 5 years then failed. The failure was that it was always on--always sending the load to the water heater. I first thought it might be the relay(s), but when I looked up their part numbers they were listed as NO (normally open), so I reasoned that it is unlikely that such a relay would fail in the closed position. Also, I could hear at least one of the relays switching when I threw the circuit breaker. On the basis of another commenter here, I took out the circuit board and started looking for a failed resistor and found it. It was labeled R5 and was a 4.7MegOhm resistor (yellow, purple, green). It had a layer of carbon on the outside of it, as if it had overheated. 4.7 MOhm resistors are not easy to come by, so I wired 4 x 1Mohm in series, then added in series to that two more 1 MOhm wired to each other in parallel, then another 100KOhm in series to all that to get a total of 4.6 MOhm (close enough, I reasoned). I soldered this across the existing R5 resistor (which I didn't bother to remove). Reinstalled in the box, and now the timer is working correctly again. I'm hoping/expecting it will last much longer this time because now the wattage that that one R5 resistor had to manage is distributed across 7 resistors. I'm convinced the original R5 was underengineered (to small of a wattage rating for the load it had to handle). This solution probably won't work for everyone, but if your R5 has failed, it might be worth a try. Cost me less than $2 for the resistors, as opposed to buying a whole new unit (>$60).

Intermatic EH40 240-Volt Electronic Water Heater Timer