Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Intermatic T104 208-277-Volt DPST 24 Hour Mechanical Time Switch
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

This timer is usually used to control 230V swimming pool filter pumps. It operates a single on/off cycle during a 24-hour period, which is adjustable. Purchasing an additional time tripper set will add another on/off cycle. The timer motor requires between 208 and 277 volts for operation and switches both poles (hot wires). My original timer finally expired after more than 30 years of use, so I bought this replacement from Amazon, which was less expensive than buying one from my local electrical distributor.

Fortunately, this new mechanism fits and snaps right into the old Intermatic housing. For those who just need to replace the functional parts, this greatly simplifies the installation. Amazon's price for the entire timer assembly including the metal housing was less than others charge for just the mechanism itsef.

It was shipped promptly, arrived undamaged and at a good price.
99 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2013
Direct replacement for previous one that lasted 20 years. Could have used a little more room inside for wire manipulation.

Update: Beware, this is not an outdoor enclosure. Timer lasted a month than locked up - I assume because of water intrusion. Obviously my fault but this fact could have been made more obvious in the description. Perhaps instead of saying which Intermatic units are Indoor/Outdoor Amazon could add that some are just Indoor and redirect people to more appropriate models.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 20, 2012
The Intermatic Timer is the most common pool timer on the market. Here are some user guide tips and some troubleshooting for the most common problems you will have.

There are two voltage rated versions used on pool equipment. The most common is the 220 volt, and 110 volt is less common. Most pool equipment is on a 220 volt breaker. Check your sub panel or main breaker panel to see if the timer is hooked up to a double breaker (240Volt) or a single breaker (120 volt). The timers are not interchangeable so if you need to replace yours, get the right volt/amp rating.

These timers seem to last forever. The first 3 pictured here are over 20 years old. I am surprised when one breaks down. A very well constructed product.
11 comment|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2011
The old pool timer that came with the house finally died. It was so old that there was nothing that showed its make and model. But the picture of this item looked exactly like it, except that the picture only showed one line connection and one load connection. I hesitated. But after confirming that T104 is indeed a double-pole single-throw model, I ordered it.
It came today. The picture on the box is identical to the picture on Amazon but thankfully, the item had two line connections and two load connections. Apparently Intermatic only makes one kind of boxes with the picture of a T101. It is then "customized" with a sticker stating the model.
It was a cinch to replace the old one. I am glad they still make them and that Amazon sells it at a great price. Though Amazon seem to have raised it by $6 since I bought it a week ago, it is still a good price.
on May 16, 2014
The timer works great and was very easy to install myself. I'm not an electrician and got it working the first try. It's nice to not have to remember to cut the pool pump on and off. The clock is very simple to set as well.

The downfall as I'm sure you've read in other posts is the casing that it is in. It is not an outdoor case as rain and moisture will collect inside. Again I'm no electrician but metal mechanisms + electricity + moisture and rain does not have a pretty outcome. The casing has holes on both sides that allow for rain and moisture to enter.

I purchased an Intermatic 2T2502GA Plastic Enclosure for it from Amazon. The timer staps right out of the old case and right into the new case with no issues. This case is water tight and we've not had any issues since swapping cases.
on August 21, 2011
Exact replacement for 30 year old timer who could complain about reliability which stands the test of time.It is nice to know you can still buy products made in America.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 27, 2014
Our pool cleaner timer started slowing down until it stopped working altogether. Since Leslies, our local pool store, is usually overpriced I made my purchase on Amazon. I already had a box which houses two timers, so I didn’t need the enclosure, only the timer.

The Intermatic T104 208-277V 60Hz double pole single throw 24 hour mechanical time switch, made in Mexico, withstands temperature extremes, has a built in surge protector, and uses a heavy duty gear train.

To install, I shut off power at the breaker box, removed the wire connections from the old timer being careful to mark placement with tape, and popped out the old unit. Then I secured the new timer into place, reconnected the wires, turned the power back on and set the dial to the correct time. Setting the timer simply requires screwing the on and off trippers into place. Replacement was simple for this regular do-it-yourselfer.

I would have preferred to purchase a timer without the metal enclosure and would have if I found one on Amazon. Instead I have a metal enclosure which added cost for Intermatic, postage cost for Amazon and is basically trash for me. We all lose in this aspect.

Intermatic industrial grade timers are long lasting, durable, and dependable. If you need a double pole single throw 24 hour mechanical time switch, the Intermatic T104 is the one to get.

PROS:
Perfect replacement for worn out timer
Simple to install
Easy to set

CONS:
Didn’t need the metal enclosure
on April 8, 2014
These timers have been around for years, and probably last ten or so. I bought this as a replacement for a T10404R used to control two 220 volt pumps (Polaris and recirculating pumps). I didn't need the enclosure, but got it because the total price was lower than just the timer inside. It is easy to remove and install these timers as replacements. There is a little spring-tab at the top that you press to release. The new one snaps into place. As another reviewer or two has mentioned, the enclosure provided with the timer purchased is NOT suitable for outdoor use. Even the T10404R is just rain-proof. I had to repaint the old enclosure to attempt to stop the rust at the top in our very humid climate (Houston). The voltage range (208-277) is a little confusing. It works fine with 220. Even the timer motor is suitable for 220. The new timer motor was wired a little differently from the old one, but no problem. Keep track of the wires by wrapping tape around them and marking them with a numbering system such as 1, 2, 3, etc. to match the location of the screws. I could never figure out why the old one failed. It turned on automatically, but wouldn't turn off. The manual switch worked fine. They are so rugged and simple that there really isn't much that can go wrong.
on June 11, 2014
I bought this to put outside as a pool timer. Nowhere in the description does it say that it is for interior applications only. I had to return it and buy an exterior model. By the way, if you are considering another manufacturer, don't! Intermatic is a great timer and best of all, if and when the clock motor dies, you can EASILY replace it with a new motor at less than half the price of replacing the timer. I originally put a timer (not intermatic) at my pool and after 8 years, the motor died. I bought an intermatic timer motor thinking I could rig it up (nope the 'non-intermatic' timer has no replaceable parts and you have to buy a whole new unit) I have the motor for sale on the intermatic motor page, if you just need a motor, buy it and save some $$. I went ahead and replaced my 'other brand' timer with an Intermatic, and in 10 years or so when the motor dies, I can replace it EASILY and CHEAPLY! Plus this timer is heavier and better made than the 'other' brand.
on April 14, 2014
I replaced a GE timer that was more expensive yet flimsy and built like a piece of crap. It broke exactly 1 month out of a 1 year warranty and all GE could do was tell me to buy a new one. Fat chance. The intermatics are simple yet very well constructed and reliable. That and cheaper than GE - is there any question here?????