5.0 out of 5 stars Timers still going strong after years
Published on November 21, 2011 by Swissmiss

1.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the noise
Published on September 10, 2012 by Longtime Amazon Fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Timers still going strong after years, November 21, 2011
This review is from: Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Heavy Duty Grounded Timer (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've been using these timers for about 10 years now and have never replaced them. I am looking to purchase additional timers for more holiday lighting, however, I was disappointed to learn both Home Depots in my town had discontinued these and replaced them with a not-so-user-friendly brand. I was so pleased to see Amazon selling them. The other brand works, but they cannot compare to Intermatic. The Intermatic are easy to use, precise and reliable. I have never had a problem with them, in fact, I have been using them to turn on and off a variety of July 4th, Halloween and Christmas decorations throughout the year inside and outside my home including multiple light strands wrapped inside and outside my barn, around trees, around lamp posts, wreaths, garland, reindeer and other ornamental lighting. They're so easy to set. You can set up to three occurences by just moving around the little clips at the appropriate start and stop times. The little notch on the wheel grabs the clip and turns it on, then spins around and turns it off at the next clip. If you want to bypass the timer settings, there is a little knob to turn it on manually. I've always used the timers with name brand heavy duty extension cords from the home improvement stores. Never a blown circuit or plug or timer! And these timers are turning on and off a good amount of electricity. I can't say enough good things about this timer. Thanks for offering these Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple To Operate But Limited Precision, April 7, 2012
MyBeesWax "A Music Fan" (The Heart of the Golden State) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I've had the Intermatic Timer for MANY years and it has worked very reliably for me. I set it to turn on and turn off the lamp in the morning. It automatically turns on the lamp when I wake up and turns off the lamp after I leave for work, so I don't have to worry about leaving the lights on unnecessarily.

It comes with 4 pins -- 2 green and 2 red. The green pins turn on the lamp (or any electrical device plugged into the unit) and the red pins turn it off. To work the timer, the time will have to be set by rotating the dial. Next, Find the point on the dial for the desired time the device should be turned on and push the green pin in. Similarly, place the red pin at the desired time.

Pros
----
- Simple interface allows you to quickly set the start and stop times.

Cons
----
- The time you set is approximate only. You can get within about +- 5 minutes.

---
If you don't need precision, the Intermatic works very well. If precision is important, get the digital version of the Intermatic timer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent timer, very reliable, February 23, 2012
This is the only timer model I've ever purchased that has not eventually failed on me. I have owned several different outlet timers from several different manufacturers over the years. One by one they have all failed and been replaced by one of these. I am now using this timer exclusively, for the sole reason that these are the only ones that have never needed to be replaced.

Simply put, they are solid and long-lasting. If you don't need better precision or more settings than this model provides, then this is the one you should get, hands down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the noise, September 10, 2012
Longtime Amazon Fan (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
I can't believe no one else has mentioned this, and maybe I just got a bad one, but the motor that turns the timing wheel got quite loud after about 3 months. I'm currently looking for a suitable replacement. It would be OK in an area where you never spend any time, but forget about using it in your living space. This timer's high amperage rating is it's only outstanding feature. The "current time" window is a tiny little thing with even smaller numbers and line markings which I find very difficult to read, and the green and red timing pegs will only give you appoximate on/off times. Unfortunately it's the only high amp timer of it's kind I could find. Still looking for a high amp digital timer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, reliable, proven technology in a high-wattage AC Timer, October 28, 2012
This is an excellent item, and I say this without reservation, because it meets *all* of my requirements -- and hopefully yours as well. Controls up to 1475 Watts, three on/off cycles per day, fully-grounded, and best of all, no superfluous electronics. This is the old mechanical type that last decades. I can't imagine a better AC Timer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my application, July 25, 2012
Being 100% off-grid doesn't mean you have to sacrifice the creature comforts. Thus, we have two refrigerators and a chest freezer. The draw back? How much they suck (power) when they don't need to. The answer? Three of these little timers (with added on/off doohickeys). Instead of me running around turning off power strips and forgetting which one I cycled last, I put these in and have cut their run times an average of 60% leaving me plenty of extra power. The little power these timers draw is well offset by the power savings on the reefers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price and Doe as Advertised, December 30, 2011
This is a pretty basic timer, but it works great. Insert a peg when you want it to power on and another when you want it to power off. The only issue I could foresee is if someone needs a very accurate timer. Since you're inserting pegs into predefined slots, it's hard to tell if you're setting it at an exact time. So if you need something to come on at exactly 10pm, it may actually not be activated until 10:10. If you just need it to come on at a general time, this will do the job nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intermatic 15 amp non-digital timer, September 24, 2012
I use this timer to trigger a "requires action" light which has to be shut off manually. Digital timers on the market are not adaptable to this operation. The last timer (same model) lasted over 11 continuous years. I'd say thats pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it with my crockpot, March 2, 2014
I'm a grad student and I leave for school at 8am and often don't come back until 6 or 7pm. When I get home I am always starving but am usually too tired or unmotivated to cook. Before the intermatic, I wanted to use my crock pot but since it doesn't have a timer, I had to leave it on for 10 hours which would overcook my food. With this gem, I can set it to turn on at 3 and off at 6 so that my food is the perfect temperature when I get home. I absolutely love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Continually Loses Time, February 13, 2013
JS (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this timer for a fish tank light. Relatively easy to set up but does not keep accurate time - loses about two hours a month. I would not recommend this product.

Intermatic TN311 15 Amp Heavy Duty Grounded Timer