Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Style Name: 208-277V 10,000 WattsChange

on March 11, 2009
This product is easy to install if you know what you are doing.
You should have some background in electrical ampacity and wiring basics.

I did have to purchase an additional pigtail.(flex tubing with 3 #10 color coded wires, and 1/2 connectors on each end about 5 feet total length)

The heater had the wiring flex tubing direct from the wall to the top of the heater. The additional material was about 10.75 at the local hardware store.

I unhooked the wiring from the heater and wired it to the timer, then wired the new pigtail to where I had disconnected the original wires.

The timer has knockouts on the bottom for either 1/2 or 3/4 inch connectors so if it will accomodate either one. You most likely will have 1/2" connections.

Make sure you turn off the breaker before you start.

The entire process took about an hour total.

The instructions that come with the timer aren't that great, so if you don't know what you are doing, it won't help much.

The timer comes with 3 sets of on/off clips so you can time it on and off 3 times.

We set it at on at 5 am, off at 8 am, then on at 8 pm off at 10 pm.
So the timer is on 5 hours a day and off 19.

We figgure we will save around 25 dollars a month off the electric bill.

So... it will take at least 2 months to pay for the timer and other materials we bought. If you pay someone to install it, it will take much longer to pay for itself.

So far, it is working properly and so I am satisfied.
11 comment59 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
Bought this model of timer about 3 years ago. It has failed. It is easy to install and use but the main power relay coil has failed and I can't repair it so I must order another one.
44 comments31 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2010
Having purchased 3 of these units over the years I feel qualified to comment on their performance. The first one failed after 3 years - the clock mechanism still turned but the switches did not operate. I purchased a second unit as I did not want to install a new box & wiring. The box mounts to the wall first then the mechanism is installed inside. I only replaced the mechanism. This lasted for 2 years before the clock mechanism stopped turning. (I should have kept the first dead one.) Again I purchased another unit as wanted a simple fix & I will not be in this house for much longer. This last unit only lasted 2 weeks before the switches stopped operating. I did not want the hassle of dismounting & returning it so I stripped down both units & made good one out of the 2.
The mechanism is very old school & has not changed in years. The clock mechanism becomes very hot from being driven 24 hours/day. I does not appear to be adequate to drive the system contimually. I would recommend purchasing a modern electronic system.
22 comments50 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2008
Ever take one of those energy self-audits? Mine had high marks for the easy things- insulation, updated windows, weather stripping, etc. But my water heater- I cannot install the 'tankless', because I have no chimney. It has always been electric, but keeping 55 gallons hot all 24 hours is not efficient. So I ordered the Intermatic, and once installed outside the breaker panel, found it to be as easy to operate as a setback thermostat.
You can set it to heat up prior to morning showers, then (on weekdays) turn the power off, and heat up again in time for evening meals, cleaning, etc. Weekends can be an entirely different schedule. There is even a 'shutoff' feature to bypass the schedule while you take vacation. Instructions are clear, and programmed from the front.
I feel this is saving money (and more still when we get Time-of-Day pricing).
22 comments62 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2010
The "Little Grey Box" (as it's called) arrived in perfect condition and was shipped on time. Installation was easy and it works as advertised. It came with "time pointers" enough for three settings instead of the two as advertised. (Bonus!) However; for my purposes I will only be using one on-off time. I am not an electrician and installation was easy with the right tools, plyers, screwdrivers, wire cutter and a proper wire-stipper. BUT BE ADVISED! Working around electricity scares me, especially 220. I made sure the breaker for the hotwater heater was off... And everytime I walked away to get or do something, or take a break, (I took my time with this), before starting the work again, I would check the breaker again to make sure it was off.
11 comment26 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2010
Easy to put on a wall, easy to hook up, doesn't make a sound. Important, when you take the insides out to mount, this is done by depressing the spring clip on top, and lift and pull out. Reassembly is reverse, but you have to make sure the side/bottom edges are behind the stops. If your not back and down all the way, the insides will seem loose and the timer will/could make noise, has you may read about in other reviews.
Our timer has not been mounted and running long enough to figure the savings, ours is set to run two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. Our water heater, stays hot all day, every time we use water we got hot water all day and night when it is off mode. I am sure this will show great savings!!
22 comments20 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2007
I purchased one of these. I have it set to turn the water heater off between 11:00 PM and 5:30 AM. I save the cost of this every month in electric savings. A worthwhile addition to a house.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2011
This one worked fine but crapped out after 18 months (warranty only good for 1 year) At $62 a unit, it's questionable whether I broke even on electricity savings. A disappointment.
Updated Review:
I feel obligated to update my rating from two stars to four. The company's support was outstanding and I bought a replacement. I must admit the the first unit worked perfectly until it malfunctioned and my new unit is just humming along. I'm a satisfied camper.
11 comment22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2009
Easy to install.
Has timer settings for each day or the 5 day week with separate weekend settings which are what I use.
Can have several on/off setting on each of the days.
I set mine to turn off when I go to work and turn on when I get back so I can shower then turn off before I go to bed and come on just before I get up.
The water does not cool much while it is off since I do not use it then. When it does turn on it does not take much time to get the water back to the right temp.
There is also a manual on/off button just in case.
0Comment30 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2011
I purchased this device, very skeptical of its return on investment. Here in Toronto, Ontario Canada, our government has implemented Time of Use hydro rates.

A breakdown of my own usage:

$0.10 - $0.20 average saved per weekday x 252 weekdays in a calendar year (minus stat holidays)
= $30+ dollars savings per year, minimum of 2 years to realize the initial Return on Investment. Weekends have marginal savings, due to the low TOU rate being used.

Install:

Quite simple, if you've performed electrical work in the past, and possibly have a relative in the family to describe the wiring procedure. It is advisable that you turn off the breaker or remove the fuse from the main electrical panel prior to installation. This should be a 240v circuit. Otherwise hire an electrician or you could fry yourself, the panel, and the water heater.

Programming:

Easy as sliced bread, as long as you can program an alarm clock, you're good to go on this one, just don't forget to return the lever to the 'run' position after you've programmed the device.

Maintenance:

Monitor your energy use, review the hydro bill, fiddle around with the programming to make the most efficient use of this device. Provides a good excuse to share a shower with the spouse, "Hun, we're conserving hot water in the process!"

Good luck, and enjoy the savings.