Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 18, 1999
It is a great source to learn algebra a recommendation would be to use the Introductory to Algebra by the same Martin L. Bittinger or have already learned Algebra I, Because this book is really fairly advanced for younger students and is covering mostly Algebra II information.
on February 10, 2016
the explanation in this book is awful, the instructions to do a problem is many pages before the problem i swear these books are rigged so you'll fail the class so you have to buy a new edition for every year
on December 8, 2015
This book is a basic math book. It's great to read when I have free time. I always wanted to learn it but it was too difficult. This book explains the FOIL method step by step and if you'd like there's a workbook that goes along with each lesson.
on March 11, 2006
first off, i'm not rebecca stack, but we use the same account. i am self-studying at home using this book. addison wesley were completely and utterly unhelpful when i asked for assistance when i first purchased the book and solutions manual. as for the book itself, i'm very happy with my purchase, although if you have no normal class/teacher resources, i would say it's essential to buy the solutions manual.

since i am wading through every single problem, i'm simply amazed that a 9th edition of any textbook can have so many wrong answers. anyone who has actually worked through a quarter of the problems deserves a case of champagne from addison wesley, in my opinion, and free textbooks for life.....

on the whole, though, i'm highly recommending this book as it is very suitable for anyone wanting to self study this topic with a view to going on to calculus. it's a monumental amount of work, if you're going to attempt all the problems, but even taking the errors into account, i feel more confident with mathematics now than i have ever before. even with my reservations, i look forward to tackling marv's calculus textbook (although i've now learned my lesson and will be buying other texts).
on February 14, 2010
Chapters are easy to understand. The exercises are easy to understand as well. Recommend getting the students solutions manual to help you along further.
on June 17, 2012
Pros: I didn't have to pay full price for this book and it arrived to me in almost like new condition.

Cons: The book has a nasty smell to it that I get a whiff of every time I turn a page and it's very distracting. I almost returned it because of the smell alone. (It seriously smells like moldy body oder.) However, I kept it because I couldn't wait another week to get a different one.

***The packaging for the book (and the calculator that was shipped with it) was terrible. It was basically a medium sized box that had a single airbag in it that did absolutely nothing to protect the book. When it arrived, all of the corners of the book were bent pretty badly which irritated me further because amazon and its sellers should take better care when sending us items. Since this wasn't directly related to this product, I still gave it four stars to be nice, but that smell is pretty gross and I feel that I am being generous.
on August 11, 2012
This book is alright for learning things but it is all over the place. It goes from one thing to the next and barely tells you why. The only thing that made good sense to me was the cd's located in the front of the book.
on May 15, 2007
I have always had trouble with math. I have also been out of HS for many years, therefore, I started with the edition before this one, just finished a class using this book and will be trying to pass college algebra next semester. I agree with other posters about there not being adequate examples. When you are doing the exercises (homework), there are no problems for the student to reference that are close to many of the problems you are required to answer. And the book is loaded with word problems. My biggest problems with math are when instructors/books leave out steps. I just wasn't gifted in the area of memorization of math facts and formulas so I struggle and this book was not helpful. The internet was more helpful than this book with homework assignments.

If you do struggle, I would look into the student solutions manual. Also, I took intermediate algebra as an online class and the MathXL software package required was way more helpful to me than this book. I give two stars only because I wouldn't have a clue as to what book to recommend as a better resource.

There are 11 chapters:

10 - Conic Sections

11 - Sequences, Series, & Binomial Theorem

Good luck!
on December 23, 2011
I just got this book to use with my kids. The reason I picked it up was to have a bunch of problems to give them to work on. This book has tons of them.

I also read some of the text here and there, and it seems to be very readable and easy to follow.

I would recommend this book to any person homeschooling a high school student who had good math ability, or anyone who needed a good source of practice exercises.

The reason I did not give it 5 stars is it is an old addition, so can not be used for any current classes.
on October 9, 2012
Nothing special. All in all for a math text book its ok, it gets the point across and teaches you what you need to know, But i don't care much for the order with-in each chapter. It teaches a part of what you need to know in say Section 3.1 but then in section 3.2 teaches something ells before finishing teaching what was taught in 3.1 in 3.3. But in the end if its what your school is using, you have to have it.