Intermittent slow/no connection issues I recently installed this adapter on my daughter's Windows 7 (Professional 32 bit) computer. I used the plug and play option rather than the Medialink CD. Our problem is that the wireless connection on her computer goes up and down, or slows down so much as to be unusable. It will work fine for hours at a time, then suddenly conk out. Removing the adapter from the USB port and plugging it back in will usually fix it (we sometimes have to do this more than once in order to get it to take). Running the network connection diagnostic in Windows 7 doesn't seem to do much, although once it did seem to help.
We also have a Win 7 netbook and an iTouch that work on the network with no problem, even in literally the exact same spot where my daughter's computer sits. Seems to me it must be the Medialink adapter with the issue here. Anyone else have this problem?
I have the same problem: Windows 7-64 wireless is the only device in the house with this problem; wired it's not a problem, laptop w/ 7/64 ok and XP laptop and Vista laptop all connect reliably. It worked fine the first day and then it started losing the connection. Couldn't find the IP address, etc. Many power cycles later, uninstalling, installing, and two blue screens [first time ever seen on this machine, a fairly new HP] later the problem is getting worse. I have to say that I bought it to replace a Buffalo Airstation-G that was doing the same thing and I hoped it would solve the problem as it's supposed to be Win 7 compliant.
I can't call their tech support as I work when they are available. I wish I could get this to work. The flakey connection is driving me nuts.
The only lead I have on the problem is that when I booted up the second day, I got a message saying my firewall was off and I should turn it on. After I turned it on I started having problems. I run the full version of AVG and I tried both AVG and Windows firewalls and still have problems.
Well, here we are January 31, 2011 and still having the same issues. Medialink sent us a new adapter which displays exactly the same behavior. As it stands, this is definitely an issue between the Medialink USB adapter and Windows 7. We have since added a Roku XDS to our home network. The Roku sits just two feet from the "problem" computer and has no problem connecting to the internet and holding the connection. The next thing I'm going to do is try installing the adapter on one of our other computers (we also have XP and Vista) to see if the OS makes a difference. My guess is it will work fine on XP and Vista, but we'll see.
The adapter is certified by Microsoft to be compatible with Windows 7 and now that we have replaced the adapter we know you don't have a defective device so the problem is more than likely somewhere else within your computer. I would contact Microsoft or your PC's manufacturer at this point. We have thousands of customers using this adapter with Win 7 with no problems.
It could be a number of things. I would not want to speculate as our expertise is not in the PC or the Operating System. If everything is configured correctly, is not working, and we are able to reasonably rule out a defective device as the problem, then the troubleshooting would have to come from a tech that specializes in the PC's innerworkings or the Operating System as a whole.
We aren't trying to pass the buck here. But we can't be expected to troubleshoot other company's products either. Please understand if we could help, we certainly would. There are several known issues out there with third party software and hardware that we have discovered and will gladly share but we certainly don't know everything. This particular case does not have any symptoms from any known issues I could suggest for you unfortunately.
Well, I can tell you that the PC is new (since October), running clean on a fresh install of Windows 7, and has no software such as third party firewall, antivirus, etc. installed that could interfere with the wireless. If there is a fault, it's most likely in the Windows 7 networking drivers themselves (corrupt? need updating?). I understand you can't troubleshoot other company's products. The connection does work fine when wired so I really don't think it's a hardware issue. I'll try googling more about the Windows 7 drivers to see what I can find. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the whole world who has had this issue.
One more here-- clean Windows 7 64-bit install. All the other computers on the network are fine but the machine with the Medialink usb device just plain sucks at internet access and is super slow. Since the machine in question is my media pc, this is pretty bad for me as Netflix keeps stalling. At the moment I don't know if there is an issue with the device or my operating system.
I'm having the same issue with Windows 7 32 bit. I'm going to try using it without the "extender cable" and see if that helps, but I just wanted to let you guys know you're not the only ones. I will return it if I can't get it to work correctly.
i've had mine with windows 7 64 bit, i'd say for about 4 months now. i did plug and play. i'd say up til about 3 weeks ago it was 2/3 fine and 1/3 slow but livable. lately it's reversed. unplugging and plugging in the usb is an occasional solution. i have a sony laptop and a older macbook both of which pull a stronger signal and thus run "faster" than the media link most of the time. not sure what to say. seems most folks aren't having problems but it sucks for those of us that are having them
SOLVED! So I tried every troubleshooting solution I could find on the web and spoke to a support person to no avail. The solution I finally found was to plug the device into a different USB port. I built my desktop and it has about 6 ports, some red and some black. The red ones do not work for this device (I dont know why, but as soon as I plugged it into a black one it worked flawlessly. Hope this helps.