Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Style Name: Beeswax Crayons|Change

on November 9, 2014
I purchased these for my daughter because I was excited to see natural beeswax crayons in so many vivid colors. However, after getting them home, I noticed that they do not smell like beeswax, and the box says they are made in China, which isn't exactly known for beeswax production (to say the least). So, I went to the manufacturer's website and found this list of ingredients:

Crayon Wax Contains: Paraffin and Hydrocarbon waxes, stearic acid (pure), Talc (Mg3H2(SiO3)4), Hydrogenated Palm Oil, benzenamine (oxidized), Petrolatum, beeswax, Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light paraffinic, synthetic coloring.

Most of those ingredients are petrochemicals, and beeswax is way down the list, right in between petrolatum and petroleum distillates.

This is extremely deceptive labeling, in my opinion!
44 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
 I have composed this review in hopes that it will not only reflect my opinion of the product, but fill in some information gaps in the description.

I like to know what I'm buying, and the relatively low price of these crayons that claim to be "natural beeswax" did make me look for more information. One of the things that I feel it's important to get across right from the beginning is that these crayons are not made of only beeswax. They *contain* beeswax. This is not a surprise to me. Like other crayons, these are made with a variety of materials including: Paraffin and Hydrocarbon waxes, stearic acid (pure), Talc (Mg3H2(SiO3)4), Hydrogenated Palm Oil, benzenamine (oxidized), Petrolatum, beeswax, Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light paraffinic, synthetic coloring. That is the ingredient list cut and pasted from the manufacturer website as of 11/07/2014. As you see, beeswax is pretty far down on the list. I feel that this is important to know for those who are purchasing these crayons with the idea that they are safe for children to put in their mouths (as I've seen in other reviews). Depending upon your view regarding some of these compounds, you may or may not feel that the crayons meet your personal definition of "non-toxic" products, particularly in regard to mouthing. I feel that this is an important clarification because I suspect that the product name may be a little misleading for some. If you are looking for a purely beeswax crayon, this is not the right product.

The crayons do have a nice texture to them when drawing, and the colors are nice and bright. I feel that they color well. I've put in a (perhaps somewhat too long) clip of me doodling with them in my video review so that you can see how the colors transfer to the paper. I don't expect to win awards for the doodle, but it may give you a general idea.

As other reviewers have stated, these crayons are manufactured in China.

Overall, I like the way that these crayons color. I'd say that their composition is on par with the average crayon, but they are certainly not all beeswax. For that reason I feel that the labeling could be more accurate, particularly as the ingredients are not on the label. I'm deducting a star for that. They perform well for what they are, but should not be represented as something that they are not. The texture and color quality are better than most of the inexpensive crayons available in stores.
on January 3, 2013
I bought these crayons for my toddler after searching the net and concluding that the beeswax crayons would be safe for him. I chose this brand over the other brands amazon carries after checking the International Arrivals website and reading that their products are mostly made of recycled material and I was impressed. Nowhere on their site or in amazon's description of this product was it mentioned that these crayons were made in China! When it comes to my child, I prefer products manufactured in the US where I trust the regulations regarding children's safety and lead levels etc., esp when it comes to crayons that they might put in their mouth.
1212 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2013
My daughter received these for a birthday present last year. They are hands down the best set of crayons ever. I hate how crayons break so easily and then you've got broken bits to deal with, in containing them and traveling with them, and I also think coloring projects with your average crayon to be lacklustre and drab. I also believe, as a mother of two small children (3 and 5) that crayons are ESSENTIAL and we take them wherever we go. These crayons are a) travel friendly! They stay unbroken in their own little clean, stream-lined case and, though larger in height and width than your average crayons, they have a narrow depth so can slide into the space with your coloring books/sketch books easily. THey are b) long lasting! The little string mechanism ensures that you only use what you need (and pulling the string is fun for small children), and the size of each crayon also makes it nearly impossible to break. And, finally, c) these crayons make beautiful, solid, vibrant colors! I don't write many reviews and it may be sad that I am writing about crayons but when a product makes such good sense and impacts quality of life in a useful- albeit unusual and perhaps not terribly important- way, both for me AND my kids, I have to share! Worth the extra money! Fantastic gift idea!!
on September 7, 2012
I wanted something we could travel with and not be too concerned about dropping one in a stream or losing one in the tall grass. I ordered these because another reviewer said these were comparable to Stockmar. They are no way near Stockmar quality but are better than crayola.

They don't have that sweet beeswax smell. If I didn't know what they were made of I would assume a poor quality wax, like RoseArt. The pretty packaging is a waste. In order to get a good grip you have to take off the slippery papers. That being said, they lay down a brilliant color, blend extremely well, and for the price losing one or two is not so hard on my wallet.

These are great for the job I bought them for but I won't be purchasing them again.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2012
These are excellent - & believe that they are easier to color with than Stockmar (at a much reduced price). Excellent color selection. Dropped from the kitchen island on tile & didn't break. Love that they are eco (more happy that they are "healthier" for my toddler).
on March 1, 2013
My children have loved using these crayons. I was very pleasantly surprised at how vivid the colors were, how smooth they drew and how sturdy they are. My husband sat down one day to color with the boys and he was amazed also at how very nice they were. I don't think I will ever buy store brand crayons again! These are worth the extra expense to make your child's crafting and creating much more enjoyable. I have seen my boys both enjoy their coloring/drawing more and comment on how they love the "special crayons" I bought them.
on November 5, 2013
I love how easy these crayons are to hold, even by the littlest of hands. And they last a very, very, very long time. Expensive, but worth it. They do break if thrown - found that out the hard way.
on May 2, 2014
So love these, beautiful colors, huge....very long so they should last quite awhile. Love the old school style of pulling the string to expose more crayon. Can I tell you how much I hate crayon papers all over? Plus with their shape they can never get totally flat so you don't need to worry about a sharpener. Very vibrant colors, and eco friendly-ish. I believe made in China as opposed to say stockmar, but keep in mind some things are made responsibly in china now... Some.
on April 7, 2014
These are amazing crayons! They are super vibrant and colorful and they last forever! We've had ours for over a year and they're not even close to running out. Well worth the price!