International Student Edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2006 6:44:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2006 1:33:24 PM PDT
J. Butler says:
I recently purchased a used copy of the book for a low price. The version I received was marked "International Student Edition" and "Not for Sale in the United States" on the front cover.

Observations about the book that I received:
- It was a softcover book, about 6 inches by 9.5 inches.
- It was printed in India.
- The printing quality was good, but not excellent.
- Two pages were missing (blank).

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007 5:53:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2007 6:25:14 AM PDT
The International Edition of this book certainly exists.
I ordered accidentally this edition of the book at Amazon.co.jp the other day.
I did not know that there exist two editions, which are respectively "Standard Second Edition" and "Internnational Second Edition", until the book was delivered to me.
No notices at the page at Amazon.co.jp(see the link below), so I returned the book cash on delivery.
Be careful if you are not living in the USA!!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/0619217642/

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007 6:04:49 AM PDT
The International Edition does not include some deeper results or theorems in the standard edition. I think it should be mentioned that there exists the international edition of this book at the publisher's page of this book.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007 6:10:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2007 6:28:35 AM PDT
Oh, I have drifted away from the subject.
I am sorry.

I think Miss J. Butler(I hope your name is Jane or Jennifer, etc.) bought a pirated book unfortunately.

And the pirated book was not Standard Edition, but International Edition unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007 6:48:18 AM PDT
International Second Edition:
400 pages
published on 28th/April/2005

Standard Second Edition:
456 pages
published in February/2005

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2007 6:58:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2007 7:11:17 AM PDT
If you want to learn only basic results, the international edition is for you even if you are living in the USA.
And it's cheaper than standard edition.

If you are greedy and want to know as many results as possible even if the results are less important and too difficult for you to understand, or if you like just heavier books, the standard edition is for you even if you are not living in the USA.
I think self-satisfaction is important even if it's non-sence!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2007 3:50:29 PM PDT
Rui Almeida says:
Thanks, I as going crazy trying to find out this, before I order!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2008 10:18:41 PM PDT
Charasan says:
I accidently ordered the International Edition as well. It should be noted, especially for students who need this book, that the end-of-chapter questions that a lot of us will be assigned do NOT always match up between editions. Could be a problem if you're in the US ordering International to save a buck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 10:49:02 AM PST
Charasan is right. I've bought several of these books and the only differences are that they have been paperback and that some of the problem numbers are different than that of the regular edition. Other than that, the books are the same! The International Student Edition books are not 'pirated' copies nor do the theorems lack 'depth' as Japanese Reviewer claims. If you aren't sure if the International edition will work for your class, just ask your professor before buying the book.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2006
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Introduction to the Theory of Computation
Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Michael Sipser (Hardcover - December 13, 1996)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (50)