4.0 out of 5 stars Yes! This book is awesome!
Published on August 6, 2006 by E. Abrams

2.0 out of 5 stars Good recommendations but repetive and dry
Published 7 months ago by Kaylan

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes! This book is awesome!, August 6, 2006
This review is from: Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model (Hardcover)
I learned more about "doing" psychotherapy from this book than all of my other books combined. I used this book often throughout my internship, and I found it very helpful in many ways. The author helps to validate what novice therapists are thinking about and doing and worrying about. The author gives specific examples throughout the book, so that you know how to visualize what he's talking about. If you are into relational work (and I personally believe that all therapy is relational), then this book is for you. Not many books really outline the therapist-client relationship. Most books say, "Focus on process and not content," but then don't explain how to do that or show you what it looks like. This book is paving the way for how to address the "process" in therapy and not just the content. You get tangible, concrete examples of many, many situations that may come up when working with clients.

While I appreciate Yalom's writing style on existential and relational therapy, I find Teyber's book to be more applicable and less esoteric. Anyways, I highly recommend this book, especially for beginning therapists who are practicing in internship or after graduation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for Beginners, May 17, 2009
M. Sheth (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
We were asked to read this book when we started our practicum. This is the single most helpful book I've come across as a student in counseling psych. While other books just tell you what to do, this one has really good vignettes to help you understand things and put them to use. I still use mine as a reference at times. I highly recommend this book if you're a beginner in the field of counseling/psychotherapy, regardless of your therapeutic orientation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Counseling Tools, October 11, 2011
This is a must-read for all counselors-in-training. The author provides excellent examples of different counseling sessions for counselors who are just learning. He incorporates and eclectic and integrative counseling style that can be tailored to suit many different clients' needs. Most importantly, he encourages new counselors to be courageous in their counseling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every psychotherapy book should be written like this, December 21, 2013
DG (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This book is highly readable and easy to understand. Filled with tons of sample session snippets to concretize the interpersonal process principles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful and Relevant to Working with Clients, June 6, 2011
This book is wonderful! Exactly as the summary described. I wish that this had been required reading in grad school as it truly helps have a greater understanding with very helpful examples of how to use the process in the room which is really what therapy is all about. I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, August 26, 2014
judith (JERSEY CITY, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
awesome condition. extremely happy :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good recommendations but repetive and dry, January 15, 2014
I'm a major in mental health and this book, while helpful given the brief examples of client/therapist interaction throughout, is hard to read. There are no pictures, thus each chapter is very long-winded and the author repeats himself constantly. This is good and bad. Good, because it helps to memorize some data, but bad, because you get rather exhausted reading the same explanation over and over (and want to skip ahead). Due to lack of visual presentation (even some charts would have been helpful to break up the monotony), I found the textbook dry and was loathing it right away. I am an "A" student in all my classes, so I'm not a lazy student by any means, and I've read a lot of textbooks. I would have gotten more out of a reference book, so you could just thumb to the concept and look it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting, October 16, 2008
this book is so interesting and helpful! it is easy to read and engaging. Perfect for students studying to be therapists/counselors. I really like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It a great start, October 2, 2008
This book is very insightful and helful for upcoming therapist. Easy read and very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Therapeutic Read, November 5, 2006
A. G. Burns (Pristina, Kosovo, Serbia and Montenegro) - See all my reviews
This book was read as part of a course assignment. The author's style and the content allow one to take an introspective look at oneself in addition to introducing an interesting concept for therapy. I was refreshed after reading.

Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model by Edward Teyber (Hardcover - July 7, 2005)
Used & New from: $89.63