Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 25, 2010
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it may teach kids about manners, and that is great, but I also think the book is HILARIOUS! When it was delivered, I forgot all about it and didn't open the box until after my daughter had gone to bed. So I got it out and decided to read it before showing it to her. I laughed so hard, I cried, the first time I read it!

My 4-year-old daughter loves the book, too. She makes me read it over and over again. I always appreciate a children's book that not only entertains the kids, but the adults, too. This book definitely fits the bill. I highly recommend it!
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2010
Interrupting Chicken is the cutest story. It is about The Little Read Chicken who cannot help but interrupt Papa when he reads a bedtime story each night. As Papa reads, the little chicken knows the characters, whether Hansel and Gretel or Little Red Riding Hood, are about to get into trouble, so she shouts out and interrupts the story never allowing Papa to finish. Little Red Chicken gets so excited keeping the story characters out of trouble, that she still isn't asleep. It's frustrating for Papa, so Little Red Chicken offers to read him a story instead, and before long she puts him to sleep.

This is the perfect story to teach little ones manners and the concept that it is rude to interrupt. David Ezra Stein is both the author and the illustrator. The colors are fabulous and the illustrations are whimsical. It's a cute story for parent and child. Ages 4-8; RECOMMENDED - 5/5 stars
on August 23, 2010
As an elementary school counselor, I am so excited about this book! I was cruising through the bookstore not even planning on going in the children's section, but of course I could not help myself. And boy am I glad I cruised over there! Interrupting Chicken is my new social skills go to for listening, waiting your turn to talk, and learning to raise your hand. It's really difficult to find GOOD books teaching kids to be socially alert of their impulsive need to interrupt. This one is going to be a BLAST to read to kids. There are always going to be students who blurt out their words or decide to have a conversation while you're talking. Most kids interrupt because they haven't had proper guidance on how to be social thinkers. Interrupting Chicken will help students be better listeners and figure out when it's the appropriate time to use their words. It is an obvious addition to my toolbox. Plus it's cute, adorable, and funny.
Little Red Chicken isn't quite ready for bed. First she needs a bedtime story. "And of course you are not going to interrupt the story tonight, are you?" her father asks. "Oh no, Papa. I'll be good," promises Chicken. Well, except that she isn't. Chicken, it turns out, can't bear for any harm to come to the characters in her favorite stories, so what else is a little chicken to do? She must warn them, of course.

This book is as much (or possibly more) for parents as it is for kids. Any parent who has ever had the pleasure of reading to a bright and sensitive child will be able to identify with it. Poor Papa doesn't get more than a few sentences into each story before Chicken interrupts with her warning and her alternative ending ("And so she didn't. The End"). Needless to say, such alarm doesn't help to soothe Chicken for bedtime, so poor Papa gets more and more tired while Chicken is more and more awake. The ending is precious and will resonate with any parent who's ever longed to be the one tucked in, especially when the little one seems to be running on Energizer batteries.

We checked this out at the library. My own four-year-old thought the book was somewhat funny the first time we read it, but she hasn't asked for it again (I've chosen it a couple nights since). She doesn't seem to see herself in Chicken, even though she too interrupts far too often.

The illustrations are cute, especially when Chicken jumps into the stories to warn the characters. But they could have really added to the humor with a bit more attention to facial expressions and other nuances. Overall, I'm glad we checked it out at the library. It's an enjoyable enough story, but I don't think we'll be adding it to our permanent collection. 3.5 stars.
on January 9, 2011
Given its vibrant art and age-appropriate humor, this book is an exceptional addition to any 3+ library, but children familiar with Hansel and Gretal, Little Red Riding Hood, and Chicken Little will get the most out of it. Plan on introducing it either in conjunction with those three stories, or as a humorous follow-up.
on August 11, 2010
My nephew went completely ga-ga over this book. I had to read it to him five times in a row and now every time I go over to visit him, he comes running at me with Interrupting Chicken.

I really liked that this book teaches kids about interrupting because I think that is one of the rudest things you can do. Children need to learn manners and using a colorful, interesting story is a great way to get the message across.
on December 4, 2010
I bought this book after a book reading and signing at a local science fair. My four year old daughter love the way David read the book. She LOL so much! She asked me to read it to her almost every night. She loves reading it on her own too.

As someone who work with children I would highly recommended to All teachers, since there is always a student in your class who is constantly interrupting. This book is great for young children, but adults will enjoy reading it too.
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2010
Oh, this book is so cute! I loved it! The storyline was completely unexpected and just adorable!

The little red chicken, that I thought was a boy chicken instead of a girl chicken, for some reason, is just delightful. She asks her papa to read a bedtime story to her before she goes to bed. What's hilarious is how she interrupts each story that papa tries to read to her. I really got a chuckle!

When papa turns the tables and asks the little red chicken to read to him, the results are even funnier! Chicken Interrupted is a very clever and creative bedtime story book, which will remind all parents of their own bedtime antics with their children.

And for the kids, they just crack up while reading this, and wonder why the little red chicken is so funny.

This would be a great gift for young child.

Reviewed for Arms of a Sister
on December 12, 2013
Hilarious book about a chicken who interrupts his dad when he reads a story at bedtime. He knows all the stories by heart. Even though he's been warned, he's can't help himself by blurting out the entire story. Finally a frustrated Dad tells him to tell him a story and watch what happens. Ironically, the same thing happened to me last week when I sat for the grandkids. Love this little slice of art imitating life. Great illustrations. Entertaining for young and old and a nice little lesson about rudeness thrown in.
on October 22, 2011
Not every book that we read to our children has to teach some moral or life skill. It's okay to read something to them for entertainment value. And Interrupting Chicken is EXTREMELY entertaining. This book is hilarious.
right after I read this to my daughter (who loved it), I made my mother read it. Mom sprayed soda out of her nose at the first interruption.
This is a fun book for the child and the parent reading it.