4.0 out of 5 stars Had me fooled up to the end
Published 19 months ago by H. Drummond

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not special
Sort of a rip-off of the earlier movie Hitman from the game. Acting was low level and audio was close to terrible. Had to turn it up so much to hear the dialog it was unbearable.
Published 19 months ago by Richard W. Niles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Had me fooled up to the end, March 27, 2013
H. Drummond "hueyd3" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This is top drawer. I love Luke Goss in just about anything he does and it is a shame that he isn't a big, huge, gigantic star, because he has it all together in the talent, looks and muscle department. This keeps you on your toes from beginning to end and, quite frankly, when the end came I felt just the way I wanted which was surprised. I expected it to have a grim ending, but I didn't see this coming at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Realistic, very brutal!, May 7, 2013
GJW; Florida (Deland, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interview With a Hitman (DVD)
I enjoy Hitman movies. However, really good ones are few and far between. This movie, in my opinion, was the very best I have seen since "The Mechanic " with Charles Bronson! It is not Hollywood styalized like "Hitman", which I enjoyed. Instead you get a brutal real life type hitman. The pace is fast and vicious. You have to pay attention all the time. If you leave the room for an instant, or if someone engages you in brief conversation, by all means put the movie on "pause". Or, you will find yourself reversing alot. They speak english, but with eastern Europe type accents, so you have to listen closely. Things happen fast, once the movie gets going. This is the type of hitman movie I've waited for, for a long time. Luke Goss does a great job, and now he is my #1 male hitman actor , period. My #1 female hitman actress , is Janet Mcteer, from "Cat Run". I would love to see both these people in a movie together as a hit-team, husband and wife duo. Not much gore in this movie. No F-bombs I recall. No nudity, just good old quick and brutal killings, and very realistic. What more could you want in a "hitman" movie!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not special, March 12, 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars MY NAME IS VIKTOR, March 17, 2013
This review is from: Interview With a Hitman (DVD)
Viktor (Luke Goss) is a Romanian hitman. At one point he is called "stone cold" in the film. The film starts out with a group of disconnected scenes as it represents various aspects of Viktor's memory prior to his interview. The interview allows Viktor to do some minor narration in telling his life's tale going from a child hitman looking like a greaser, to an adult hitman with a constant 3 days worth of growth on his face.

Viktor grew up in the part of Romanian where everyone speaks English with an accent. He gets involved with the bad guys, goes on the lam to London etc.

The film does have a twist at the end, one that is poorly developed. The characters are written rather badly as is the dialouge. The genius of our hitman is a plot point, but it is not brought out too well, as to make the film interesting. The film consists of a bunch of cardboard cutouts shooting each other. Rather boring for a crime/thriller. Better classified as a crime drama. If you are going to miss a film. This is it.

Parental Guide: F-bombs. No sex or nudity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, May 18, 2013
Wow, I was expecting this movie to be bad from the reviews. It actually had a high quality story! I never thought the twist would be what it was. Also, I liked how the music was done....very unique and cool. Nothing cheesy about this movie. I'm a movie snob and I'm adding this to my small collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Interview With a Hitman (DVD)
I loved this movie. I know that it wasn't all super fancy like the other hitman/ assassin movies, but I feel they did really well for a low-budget film. The action was awesome and the killing quite tasteful. It wasn't super cheesy and the ending is totally unexpected! It's definitely not your garden variety hitman movie, but it still shines. I highly recommend it.

p.s. It helps to have subtitles for some of it, the whispering is sometimes hard to hear.

4.0 out of 5 stars INTERVIEW Produces A Modest 'Hit' Though It Could've Been Bigger, February 13, 2013
I knew that I'd recognized the face, name, and voice of Luke Goss, star of INTERVIEW WITH A HITMAN. As much as I tried, I couldn't place it. At first, I mistaken thought he was Jason Lewis, the young stud who romanced Samantha throughout the last season of (dare I say it?) HBO's "Sex and the City," but, were that the case, we would've had to have slimmed down a bit and lost some hair. After the flick ended, I quickly went over to IMDB and searched, and only then did it come to me. That's because when I'd last seen him (twice), he was under so many layers of make-up (in BLADE 2 and HELLBOY 2: THE GOLDEN ARMY) that his own mother probably wouldn't have known who he was. Goss has built up an impressive resume in some second-tier direct-to-DVD action pictures - think of him as a budget Jason Statham - of which INTERVIEW WITH A HITMAN might push him into mainstream status if more people discover it.

(NOTE: The following review may contain minor spoilers necessary solely for the discussion of plot and characters. If you're the kind of reader who prefers a review entirely spoiler-free, then I'd encourage you to skip down to the last two paragraphs for my final assessment. If, however, you're accepting of a few modest hints at `things to come,' then read on ...)

Viktor (the aforementioned Goss) has finally decided to come clean, to tell his story to an aging motion picture director who's hoping for one more great shot at producing an unforgettable documentary about organized crime. With no reservations, Viktor tells all - how he got his start on the streets of Romania, how he was `discovered' by the organization, how he went on the run and made himself part of a new syndicate when things turned dark - and he's not afraid to name names and bring secrets to life. However, when all is done and over, audiences might be left questioning just whose story the stealthy hitman was bringing to life, because not all secrets can be hidden or forgotten with a bullet.

For the record, this is writer/director Perry Bhandal's first film, and, on most counts, it's very impressive. He's assembled a largely unknown (or unheard of) cast to tell this story of a hitman whose heart may or may not be in the right place, and he's populated it with mostly believable circumstances and situations. Goss - as mentioned - is a particularly strong, charismatic lead, who clearly puts all of himself into even the quieter moments of exploring a life of crime. Caroline Tillette - she plays the mysterious `Bethesda,' a contract kill Viktor refuses to carry out - brings modest depth to a role that never quite emerges from the shadows; her character has a purpose, but - once audiences know what it is - it'll possibly stretch the bounds of believability to their necessary limits. It's far from perfect, but, for what's needed, it works just fine.

Still, what others have embraced as "a dark and complex tale" works only seventy percent of the time, largely due to the fact that the script could've used some polish in the Logic Department. I won't trouble you with all of the unanswered questions because to do so would spoil much of the story that develops, but I'll caution you to watch the criminal organizations very closely: how far would their legitimate reaches stretch, and, if they stretched as far as the story implies, why is it no one openly recognized our two leads a bit more frequently than they did?

Plus, there are some curious edits that Bhandal employed that, by their nature, imply a passage of time when, in fact, no time (or no legitimately length of time) passed. This happens a few times in the picture, and that leads me to believe that it was a stylistic choice made by the director and not an error in the production process. Yes, I realize that it's a minor quibble, but it's one that detracted from my enjoyment of the film when it shouldn't have - I'm comfortable chalking it up to the lessons that'll be learned of a first-time director.

It's a great start to Bhandal's career, as well as being another great feather in Goss's cap. Audiences would be wise to watch what develops with both of these emerging forces, as I'd suspect there are good things in store for their respective futures.

INTERVIEW WITH A HITMAN is produced by Kirlian Pictures, Scanner-Rhodes Productions, Northern Film and Media, and Northstar Ventures. DVD distribution is being handled by Well Go USA. Only for purposes of clarity will I mention that, despite this taking place in several foreign countries, English is the spoken language throughout the picture. As for the technical specifications, the film looks very solid, but I have to point out that some of the mike work was just awful; much of the story unfolds in a hotel room (where Viktor narrates his story) or very large warehouse environments, and a more accomplished sound technician could've added enormous worth here as some of the recorded tracks are a bit garbled or hard-to-hear. To compensate, I cranked up the volume and turned on the English subtitles (there are a couple really obvious misspelled words there, too), and that helped mostly. Lastly, there's a short (15 minute) `making of' featurette as well as the theatrical trailer for those interested.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Not every decision that's made in independent film production is the right one, but there's plenty to be excited about if you're (A) drawn to indie pictures, (B) are a fan of Luke Goss, (C) can appreciate a good femme fatale when you see one, and (D) like your film noir best served up hard-boiled. If that's the case, you're likely to have as grand a time as I did with INTERVIEW WITH A HITMAN despite some quirky shortcomings that probably was the result of this being writer/director Perry Bhandal's first picture. I'm told forgiveness is divine; try telling that to these characters, and don't mind the bullet in the arse as you run out the door.

In the interests of fairness, I'm pleased to disclose that the fine folks at Well Go USA provided me with an advance DVD screener of INTERVIEW WITH A HITMAN by request for the expressed purposes of completing this review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, July 6, 2014
THOMAS E. CLUBB (Gastonia, NC, US) - See all my reviews
it was ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Storytelling!!!, March 14, 2014
ANDRE (Lake Charles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Interview With a Hitman (DVD)
This movie balances brilliance in many ways. It is gritty and gripping without being gory and gratuitous. The storytelling is fantastic, definitely for book lovers and movie lovers. Absolutely no unnecessary bathroom scene. In almost all the films I've seen in these recent years, for some strange reason, filmmakers have chosen to include bathroom scenes where some character is sitting on a toilet. From kids films to every other rating, they've slipped these in, but it doesn't amuse me in the least, nor does it add any value to any movie. So I was glad not to be insulted by one in this movie.
However, this movie, from start to finish, is intent on telling a good story. Pay attention! Be amazed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing movie, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Interview With a Hitman (DVD)
I really enjoyed the movie and I've been watching it every chance I have. I'm in love with the film and I love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Interview With a Hitman
Interview With a Hitman by Perry Bhandal (DVD - 2013)
$24.98 $8.28