Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Amazon Elements Sensitive Baby Wipes, Exclusive to Prime Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

on May 23, 2012
I have done quite a bit of research before selecting this unit. Here's what I learned:

1) You CAN buy the cheap "solar" salt and the system will work perfectly fine. People try to scare you into buying "pool salt" because of micro organisms and bacteria left behind from the tiny organisms found in solar salt. Bull. The system will fire right up and kill whatever impurities there may be present at a much lower cost than "pool salt".

2) Put the Solar salt in the day before you plan on installing this unit so the water already has the dissolved salt available to convert once you install the system. My pool is a Summer Escapes brand 17' by 48" deep that I got from Sam's Club and I used 160 pounds of Solar salt.

3) By having a Summer Escapes brand pool instead of Intex I had to figure out how to adapt the supplied connectors to this non brand pool. Here's all I did:

A) Leave the Summer Escapes pump attached to your skimmer(it's your only option to attach a
HOSE AND STILL USE THE WALL SKIMMER).
B) Also leave the outlet portion attached to the pool(except the supplied Summer Escapes
hose).
C) Attach the supplied Intex hoses to both connections on the Saltwater System. Use the
supplied hose claps to connect to the Summer Escapes pump(you will NEVER power up this pump...it is only used as a means to connect ths system to your wall skimmer!!!). Now use the other supplied hose clam to attach to the Summer Escapes outlet. Tighten both clamps securely.
D) Power up the unit and bleed the top filter screw of air until the system flows smoothly.
E) You WILL NOT USE the Intex supplied "T" valves...there is no need.
F) Follow the instructions on how to program the unit(very easy). By the way...remove the "C" filter supplied by Summer Escapes but keep the large plastic strainer in place for large debris!
G) Enjoy!

Product would be even easier to hook up with an Intex brand pool as the screw on connectors would all be functional. I don't miss the Intex "t" valves and do like the in wall skimmer feature. There may be a better way to hook the hose to the in wall skimmer without using the Summer Escapes pump but I couldn't figure one out. It does the job as the water flows freely through the UNPOWERED pump directly into the POWERED INTEX PUMP at the advertised rate. I put this together as described, without help, in roughly 45 minutes. I could do it in 30 minutes if I had these fine directions!!

UPDATE!!! Unit just FAILED. Red light came on and entire unit shut off. Red light is right next to "service". I called INTEK and they said RED LIGHT is equivalent to Microsoft XBOX's "ring of death"...in other words...unit is done. They said they would replaced the failed control panel as soon as I filled out the claim form and uploaded or faxed the receipt. I did both today. I live in OHIO but temps have consistently been in the 90 to 100 degree range. With the part coming from California I fear that my pool may be green before the part arrives. I called the local pool company and they said I could use liquid chlorine. I still can't filter it though. I will update again based on INTEK customer service.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2012
I wrote this review on the same filter elsewhere here on Amazon - so i'm copying it here too...

This will be my 6th summer with the intex pool & saltwater system... & after getting my pool all set up for the start of summer this weekend I realized this will also be my 6th replacement filter/pump, as this one is broken AGAIN!

Every single time I pull the filter out from storage to set up the pool in the beginning of summer the filter pump does not work and I have to get a replacement. I have been told by customer service that they only warranty a "paid" pump not a "replacement" - so that means of the 7 I have had (including the initial one that came with the pool) I paid for 4 and had 3 replacements. Talk about irritating!
Each time it has broken has been for a different issue too, so I can't say it is 1 particular problem with the pump. 1 time the buttons just stopped working so you could not change any settings (mid season the first year). 1 time it just would not turn on at all. Another time it wouldn't take any water in or out. 1 time the filter worked but the saltwater chlorinator part would not. Now this time it's the service light comes on within a minute and it shuts off. All troubleshooting has been tried each time too and nothing has ever fixed the issues. I have also stored it inside, temperature controlled, weather proof etc.. and it still doesn't survive downtime between summers.

On the plus side -- when the pump is working- it works great. No issues keeping the water clean and the levels correct.
So it's a good pump --- it just seems to be 1 season use only, which is very frustrating.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2013
I never rate products but felt compelled to warn others about this product and this company. I purchased this pump in early June 2013. We had done a lot of research on salt water pools and were really excited about converting our above ground pool to a salt water pool. We had swum in a few of these and liked the concept. We followed the manufacturers recommendations for set up and installation. We followed the maintenance instructions of changing the filters etc. We got a "low salt alarm" less than 2 weeks after set up. We had our water tested and it had plenty of salt in the water. We, again, followed the instructions to remedy the problem such as checking connections and cleaning the electrolytic cell. After trying everything, we called the Intex warranty line as instructed in the owners manual. I got someone who could barely speak English who told me due to the fact that I had purchased from Amazon, they would send me a form to complete and then replace my cell. I never received the form. I called back the next day and got again someone who could barely speak English and explained I never received the email. They verified my email address and the first person had gotten it all wrong. I corrected it letter by letter using "a is for apple" ect. I still did not receive the email. I put in my third call 2 days later and finally got someone that seemed to understand our language. He said that everything that was wrong with my email address the day before was still wrong. He completed the form and asked me to send him the purchase email from Amazon. The next day, I received an email saying it had been approved and should ship within 2-3 business days. I waited the 5-7 business days they said it would take to ship and had still not received my part. I called the company, again, I spoke with a gentleman who informed me that the part couldn't ship because it was out of stock. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said, " we have to take your information and he will call you back within 24 hours". He called about a 1 1/2 days later and told me that he would try to find me a part and if not then they would send me a new pump with 2 day shipping because by this time my pool had been down for 3 weeks. He assured me I would have an email on Monday with the new part/pump and it would be here by Wednesday-Thursday at the latest. Guess what no email on Monday. Got an email on Tuesday that said they had shipped the part traditional ground for 5-7 days shipping. I, again, called warranty and explained the situation and she informed me that she could give me a tracking number and that all parts ship 5-7 days. I told her I wanted to speak to a supervisor and she informed me that was not possible initially until I forced the issue and then she said she would have someone call me back within 48 hours.

So just a recap--Had a great pump for less than 2 weeks. Electrolytic cell goes out. Trying to get replacement part has required 5 phone calls on my part to the company. Company is completely incompetent in providing any form of customer service or replacement part. Had to convert my pool back to chlorine for 3+ weeks now and still don't have my replacement part. Getting ready to file a complaint with the better business bureau.

I would strongly recommend you not purchase this product or any other from Intex if at all possible. I feel like we got a defective product and then the company has been totally unwilling to help us with the replacement.
on July 17, 2013
Product is cheaply made not built to last especially for the high price, used it for a couple weeks the a seam cracked on the filter part customer service for Intex is horrible trying to get replacement parts is a nightmare I will not buy from Intex ever again.Don't waste your money this product is junk and the customer service is non-existent.I love Amazon just not this pump and the manufacturer.
on July 28, 2013
I am extremely dissatisfied with my purchase and just now saw that Amazon says I missed the return window by 2 days.
so now I am stuck with a product that is absolutely a waste of my money. I am now stuck trying to deal with intex customer service to try to get a replacement. will never order a product like this again thru amazon. the item was deliverd to me June 25th I installed it June 26 and now July 28 It is dead. red service light on and will not turn on at all. should of listened to the previous reviews and I hope I don't have as much trouble as others as listed about when dealing with intex customer service. :(
on July 9, 2012
This product works very well. 4 weeks in and water is just as clear as can be. Only caveat is it has no setting for running just the filter. To put in filter mode you have to manually set it to filter, then remember to turn it off and reset for when you want it to chlorinate. I would think the timer could have been setup to allow for timing functions of both the filter pump and the saltwater chlorinator.

The pump is very strong, much better than the one that came with my Intex 15x48" pool.
on August 19, 2012
We've had a few above ground pools through the years and always seem to loose the algae battle...no matter what we've tried we couldn't get rid of that green water. But along comes this Saltwater System. Some friends had told us that saltwater was the way to go that you added salt and then pretty much left it alone for the rest of the year. We bought one of these a year ago and our friend's words proved true. We currently have an 18' round above ground pool. We added a little more salt than was specified in the manual turned it on and let it do its thing.
Initially, we used the manufactures recommendations for operating times...the manual says to run it about two to three hours a day...I did that and found our water was a bit cloudy. After a visit with our local pool store I learned I needed to run it longer than that..about 10 to 12 hours a day for our area. I did that and achieved crystal clear water for the rest of the year.
One thing I've found is that after a week or two of operation I get a "Low Salt" alarm. My experience has been that this generally means it needs a cleaning. There is salt/mineral buildup in the chlorine generator piece of the unit. Just follow the instructions in the manual. Close the plungers, drain the water from the Generator unit, pour some Vinegar into the generator and soak it for a few hours. I generally let it soak overnight and then squirt water in the unit to clean it out further. Reconnect everything and turn the pump on and it will run fine for another week or two.
Having said all of this...we purchased this unit a year ago...I just replaced the unit because I kept getting low salt alarms, no matter what I did...Put the new unit in and it works like a charm. So my initial unit lasted a year, some would complain but I would have spent more than the cost of the unit in chemicals....AND the constant fight agains algae is unending when using chemicals.
In all honesty...if I have to replace the unit every year it is still a great buy...the salt water is so refreshing as compared to chlorinated water...it is clear and more healthy...I highly recommend this unit (I've recommended it to friends already)...this product is well worth the price and it works well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2014
I purchased this July 2013 and just had the red service light turn on. From what I have read this is caused by corrosion inside the control panel. Some folks were able to open this up, clean and it worked fine. For most it was just a new item to put in the trash.

Granted it is Intex, not know for long lasting products but 1 year, 2 weeks is not worth the price.
on July 7, 2013
the krystal clear saltwater system works great short term. but I have had to replace it at least once a year. its nice not having to constantly add chlorine but pointless if I have to constantly replace it so definitely not worth the 200+dollarsIntex Krystal Clear Saltwater System
on August 8, 2012
I had an older version of this for 3 years and the pool never turned green and stayed clear all summer long. This pays for itself considering the amount of money you would put in chlorine and other chemicals if you didn't have this pump.