5.0 out of 5 stars Sit at HIS Feet, January 16, 2007
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
Writing a review for a Madame Guyon book is a bit like submitting a critique of Shakespeare. Her writings are classic. Who hasn't read her? What can I add?

Personally, my moments with Guyon are treasured and vital. Like an aspirin for pain, a dose of Jeanne Guyon brings relief to the hurried, exterior western mindset. Radical in her day, her thoughts continue to challenge the religious. Her mystic writings cut through the fog of our present culture. Her words often pierce by surprise. Her truths are exacting and accurate in this collection of letters. The focus is clear: turn from self to Christ; abandon yourself to God. Trust His love and grace for all spiritual progress.

My only objection to this edition is its subtitle, "Sit at the feet of the greatest woman in church history." Although I might personally agree with that statement, if Madame Guyon isn't rolling over in her grave at that accolade, she has most certainly protested to her Beloved about it. Her key objective in this text, and in all her writings, is to lead others to sit at HIS feet. As she writes in chapter 30: "See God alone. Fix your eyes on Him and never put them on yourself." It is ironic that the publisher would so violate her vision in circulating her material. Having said that, I am grateful to the Seed Sowers for providing the text - and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and awesome, January 26, 2000
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
Madame Guyon used simple short words to speak out deep truth in different people's spiritual life. More than that, she gave appropriate medicine to the person in that situation. The book is awesome. Every piece of advice is precious pure gold. Thank God for this wonderful supply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intimacy with Christ, August 11, 2005
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
I liked this book so much, I bought several for members of my prayer group. We now have discussions on its contents. This is just what I have been looking for. After reading Jeanne Guyon first book on "Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ", I knew I had to read her other writings.

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeper walk with Jesus, June 28, 2011
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
This was my first book by Jeanned Guyon. My heart was so convicted for a deeper walk with the Lord that I had to buy her other books.Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ (Library of Spiritual Classics, Volume 2)Madame Jeanne Guyon: Experiencing Union with God Through Inner Prayer & the Way and Results of Union with God (Pure Gold Classics) I don't seem to get enough of reading about her relationship with Jesus. I wish my life had the time to spend in prayer like she had. Our society is too too busy and is losing its priorities.

5.0 out of 5 stars MADAME GUYON'S LETTERS, ANSWERING VARIOUS QUESTIONS, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
Jeanne-Marie Bouvier de la Motte-Guyon (commonly known as Madame Guyon; 1648-1717) was a French mystic and one of the key advocates of Quietism (which was considered heretical by the Catholic Church). She was imprisoned from 1695 to 1703 after publishing The Song of Songs: Commentary and Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ (Library of Spiritual Classics, Volume 2); she wrote an autobiography (Madame Guyon) while in prison. She then went to live with her son, and spent her remaining years writing poetry and avoiding controversy. This book has also been published under the titles, Jeanne Guyon Speaks Again, and Guyon's Spiritual Letters.

In responding to the question of how one can discern between the leadings of God, and our natural thoughts and ideas, she admits, "Unfortunately, there is no positive way of knowing!... if you are looking for some great, divine revelation for matters which your own reason and common sense can figure out, you set yourself up to be deceived." (Pg. 31)

She replies, "You ask why I do not use theological terminology in explaining the Scriptures. I do this because my Lord teaches me that while there is nothing as profound as the gospels, there is nothing as simple." (Pg. 61) In another letter, she says, "I never implied that I was infallible, did I? Who am I but an erring person? Leave me, please, and unite yourself only with God, who will never lead you astray." (Pg. 75)

She advises us to be "wholly lost in God," where "You decrease and He increases within you." In such case, however, "you always remain distinct from God; and you never lose your identity in becoming one with Him." (Pg. 112)

Her letters provide some unique insight into Guyon, and will be of great interest to anyone interested in the woman and her spirituality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Spiritual Classic, February 28, 2010
Sandy J. Beaty (Lynchburg, Va USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
This book is a must read(and reread) for every seeker of the Creator God who desires to know and understand Him more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to all who read it!!!, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
This is a book for those who want to have an intimate relationship with Christ. The author shared her experience in how she became so intimate with the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not a book that you can just read through, but a very slow, thoughtful reading. Even though they are short chapters, I have read some of them over and over again. This book is excellent and I encourage you to buy one and start reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, November 10, 2010
Teekay Elle (Columbia, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
Very interesting read and I truly want to experience the intimacy with Christ that Guyon writes about in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Madame Jeanne Guyon at her best in Christian teaching and devotions, July 16, 2014
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
Jeanne-Marie Bouvier de la Mothe born April 18, 1648 at Montargis, France would marry Mr. Guyon and become Madame Jeanne Guyon - she died June 9, 1717 at Blois, France and
in the years between would become the outstanding Christian lady that history gives us. Both Catholic and Protestant Christians revere her and her teachings on the deeper life - so vividly shown in the book of letters "Intimacy with Christ"! They make for a great daily read as a devotional as well as teaching tool of Christian values!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book.., February 20, 2014
This review is from: Intimacy with Christ (Paperback)
It's definitely what Jesus is calling us to! I recommend all believers in Christ JESUS to read this book it will definitely help you grow or challenge you to Grow...

Intimacy with Christ
Intimacy with Christ by Jeanne Guyon (Paperback - December 1, 1989)
$10.95 $8.59