5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected prize
Published on February 3, 2013 by Michele Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs Focus
The first and second books were fantastic, but the way-to-detailed descriptions of sea/navy life are rapidly overwhelming what I thought was the story of the struggle between the two cultures of the Kerguelen and the Caliphate. Maybe it's more interesting to those who sail or are Navy vets, but for me anyway it's confusing and kind of boring.

Add in the fact...
Published on January 20, 2013 by David L.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected prize, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Into Uncharted Seas (Westerly Gales Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Saw this series favorably mentioned on Instapundit (link: [...]) and decided to take a flyer on all three books in the series. They are reasonably priced, they read well, and I've just finished the third in the series and am anxiously awaiting #4 - Assault on Zanzibar. A poor man's Patrick O'Brien set in a future hardscrabble maritime civilization, an Age of Sail rediscovering past technological innovations after a series of apocalyptic catastrophes. Well worth the investment of time and money to read all three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart book, January 7, 2013
I waited eagerly for the third installment of this book and I was not disappointed. I would say this is some of the best naval fiction written recently. Very realistic, the author clearly knows his stuff with heroes that are not bigger than life. Great description of life on a ship. Looking forward to volume #4.

Loved the new details on the time of troubles and looking forward to know more about the Califate.

Only thing I think it could be improve is that sometimes it can be repetitive, for instance we learned on the first time they use it that the sterling engine on the towboat needs to be warmed up, no need to repeat it every time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, July 18, 2014
I think I would actually give this book only 31/2 stars, but since this is the only one in the series I have read, I felt that it was unfair of me to do that. Having started with the last book I the series, it took me a while to get all the background of the series absorbed. I also had a huge learning curve on all the sailing terms and felt the author spent a lot of extra time on describing each and every sail and the taking up and putting down of each sail in every instance. The storyline itself was good and it didn't take long to become invested in the characters. I just wish there would have been a bit more action and less detail on the actual sailing details......even though.....in several cases those descriptions did play an integral part of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed the story, August 17, 2014
Gregory Smyth (Chula Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the story. The plot is simple, but the unique approach is what makes the book (and the series) fun to read. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic world with a very weird mix of people and technology. I found the plot very entertaining and believable. The characters are very likable, with human weaknesses. I find myself very eager for the next installment to continue the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Westerly Gales a Historical Future, December 11, 2013
It sounds like history but is a believable future. Very good straight forward style with little unnecessary meandering. Looking forward to Zanzibar.

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling narrative, August 11, 2013
Shorthand54 (Glen Rock, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Interesting yarn combining science fiction, sailing vessels and military conflict with a bow to current geopolitics. Characters are developed and narrative surprises abound. I've neglected other reading to find out what's next.

5.0 out of 5 stars More High Adventure and Pirate Battles, March 18, 2013
This is the third book in the series, and I very much enjoyed it. The attractive aspect of these novels is the characters and their interaction. The story is also based upon geographic and technological facts, and i have found myself doing research on the place names in the book to better understand the geography and also some of the technology (Stirling engines). Very entertaining, I would recommend to anyone especially those who like the Horatio Hornblower saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd book of the series..an adventure for REAL men and women!, March 15, 2013
I love this stuff, heroes and really nasty villians....I envision a movie as I read. Eagerly awaiting the next book (4th) wherein the war is taken to the pirates on ZANZIBAR! How exotic can you get?...I follow the geography on Google Earth. Very appealing story with romance and great characters. Authentic technical details from the author regarding sailing, naval protocols, firearms, and infancy of aviation. Good stuff, guys and gals!
Thanks, Mr. Williams, please continue, and I will be a loyal reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars technology in over drive, March 3, 2013
Robert (Salt Lake City, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
The speed and efficiency of the advancement in technology is rather hard to credit but the story and action is still so good that you are willing to suspend belief. Since you are reading this just for pleasure, would you rather read about fifty dull years of experiment and development or just have a good adventure story? Best to just sit back and enjoy this third segment - and you will be well entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific follow on.., February 19, 2013
Teafran (Columbia, SC) - See all my reviews
This series is a future post-apocalypse genre type of fantasy and it is terrific. Not simplistic, it ventures into areas which you might not expect for this type of story. A great read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›