Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on January 22, 2011
This is a fantastic mini-series from one of the brightest minds of our time. It invokes a lot of interesting thoughts concerning where science and technology may take us in the future. Somewhat sobering to realize what has happened to Stephen Hawking throughout his life and yet he still has a fantastic outlook on life.

Hopefully this series will be used in science classes throughout the globe rather than the old film strips I endured as a child. It serves as a great jump off point for further learning, creating a real passion for learning more about the subject matter presented.

This mini-series consists of 3 segments:
Aliens:
This segment takes an interesting look at whether life might exist outside of our planet and what forms it would take. It has a well reasoned approach to theorizing if life could potentially exist elsewhere. The most intriguing part is actually trying to imagine life that doesn't need to resemble anything we are currently familiar with. The segment is made all the more amazing after the recent discovery of life in a pool of arsenic.

Time Travel:
This is also fairly interesting in the way that Hawking presents his arguments for Time Travel and the possible uses we might make of the ability to do so. I don't want to say too much as it would give away his interesting take on the subject matter. Not necessarily what you might expect to hear from a scientist.

Everything:
This is the largest portion of the mini-series and by far the most interesting as Hawking explains what is essentially his expertise. He explains the effects of gravity on the formation of everything and how it all might someday end. He also takes a peek at the potential for our species to further ourselves and extend our existence beyond that of our humble Earth.
44 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
As he says..."Check this out". I am enthusiastic about the universe, and I own most of the documentaries on this subject,and so far I Can tell you this one, is one of the best.
Stephen Hawking, is truly one of the brightest minds since Albert Einstein. In this excellent series, he uses his genius brain to explain some of the most interesting themes such as alien life, origins, and time travel. I particularly like time travel the most.
You'll be surprised to learn that time travel is not only possible, but even is happening right here, right now on earth.
Every subject is explained with a simplicity and a good sense of humor (Stephen is a surprisingly good-humored person), which does not let you get bored. The images are fantastic in high definition. The best thing, of course is the privilege of seeing one of most intelligent mind in action . THANK YOU PROFESSOR HAWKING FOR THE RARE OPPORTUNITY.
33 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2011
This is excellent series of three episodes by Hawking on his analysis and conclusions about the universe - aliens, time travel, and the development of the universe. His style is not flamboyant; the visuals try to make up for this but are repetitive in some instances.

However, his logical approach to these topics, analysis of current research and thought, and his own opinions and comments make this series well worth viewing a number of times.
on April 24, 2011
I've watched this series twice since buying the DVD and I enjoy it. Hawkings has a history of writing and appealing to the mass market, he does not write text books for graduate school students. The review that slammed this program makes no sense, written someone who thinks he knows more than Hawkings.

This program is about 90% computer graphics and animation which makes it visually appealing with a 'science fiction' look to it. Very entertaining, educational and thought provoking.
on January 8, 2012
I first watched this on the Discovery channel in Canada in 2010. I was hooked from the get go and jumped onto the Discovery site to order two copies of this DVD as a pre-order. I have since watched this miniseries more than five times and will do a few more for sure as well as having bought over twenty copies for my friends and family as presents! This is an excellent production, easy to follow and understand, even for people with zero understanding of science and well worth taking the time to watch and the money buy. Could not recommend this any higher! Love it!
on August 13, 2011
I am thoroughly impressed by the production of this series. I finally understand the concept of a forth dimension, and time travel. The special effects are very cool as well :).
Stephen Hawking believes that his success with the mathematics behind his own (more or less) "Theory of Everything" suggests that God isn't necessary. Interestingly, he might very well be correct, but his arguments that connect electrodynamics and gravity along mathematical lines does more to prove the existence of God than anything I've ever watched.

All three episodes (Aliens, Time Travel and Everything Else) were magnificent and gave me the very best starting point for understanding the "un-understandable" about our own Universe (and perhaps others) that combined interesting logical ideas, mathematics (but not so as to distract the non-mathematician) and absolutely gorgeous visual effects in a single package.

This DVD should be in every person's collection.
on November 27, 2011
I've been very interested in the universe subject for the last few years. been watching a lot of galaxies, universe, planets documentaries. As an addition to my shows i watched this program. I enjoyed it a lot. He explains things to my level for being such an intelligent person. And he was even funny in some occasions. I highly recommend it.
on October 14, 2011
This video is so amazing. It contains many hours packed full of fun information from Steven Hawking himself. He is by far one of the smartest people ever to live on this planet. He is a God when it comes to science. And he is number ONE when it comes to science.

This video was so fun and amazing. I seen in on TV and decided to purchase it. He goes through everything from how life started, to the existance of aliens, time travel and how everything in the world works. He covers what the world will be like and look like billions of years from now. It is so cool to learn from him. He makes this stuff very easy to understand with amazing examples. He does an EXCELLENT job at dumbing the information down so that we can understand it.

If you haven't seen this video you know NOTHING about how the world works. This is a "need to watch" for everyone, even if you aren't interested in aliens or time travel, because it will give you the knowledge to understand how the world works.

Dr. Hawking if you're reading this.. you are AMAZING. I can't believe all the good things you've done with your life, even with your issues of being completely unable to move, and confined to a wheel chair. I've always looked up to everything you do. I wish someday that I could meet you in person. I would love to meet the "Einstien of my time".

Don't let anyone shoot your ideas down. You are a God.
on January 14, 2013
I'm sure Stephen Hawking could bury anyone with his cosmological knowledge. He wouldn't bury a third grader with this DVD. It is full of gee-whiz ideas and Mr. Hawking's guesses at what possible form that life elsewhere in the universe could take. But he didn't go very deep at all.

The Computer Generated Imagery was fantastic, though. On the other hand, there very little knowledge or information contained there.

If you are looking for something more substantial, check out the "Through the Wormhole" series.