5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time (I Wish!)
First off I wanted to comment on that I'm not under 13, I'm 18. But after reading "Discerning Viewer" said about "Into the Woods." I had to say something.

Published on September 8, 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT WHAT I WANTED
i thought i was ordering the play not the book but all is well that end well, now into the woods
Published 13 months ago by marissa mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Upon A Time (I Wish!), September 8, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)

Sondheim used the original, unedited versions of the Fairy Tales. Case being that the stories were more for adults AND children. And there are universal morals. Don't smother your children (Rapunzel), Don't deviate from the path (Red Ridding Hood), Despite being unappreciated and condemned to serving others, as long as you are kind natured and a truly good person, your dreams will come true (Cinderella). And many argue that Jack and the Beanstalk's is moral is learning to survive and fend for one's self and family.

The second act asks the questions and consequences that the Fairy Tales never answer, like does marrying a handsome Prince really make someone happy? Is a Giant always wrong, and how do you deal with his angry widow? Is killing the wolf the best solution? And does it pay to be charming and not sincere? And two other powerful points of the musical, that are also morals are told; That no one is alone, that everyone depends/needs on someone to survive. And finally that what ever we do, children will SEE and HEAR it, so they LEARN from it, so be careful of our actions and what we tell (and stories) when we say "Listen to Me..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the Greatest Musical Ever Written... Now in a Book!, March 26, 2000
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
Into the Woods...How can you forget the name and all of its characters if you've seen it before, and if you have not, then it includes such timeless fairy tale names as: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack (of Beanstalk fame), Little Red Riding Hood, and many others. James Lapine's brilliant script and Stephen Sondheim's astounding score are all in this book! Don't miss out on reading this fantastic book with your kids or for pleasure! This book is great for pleasure reading or if you are looking for an amazing musical to put on. Once you start reading this book, you won't be able to put it down! And if you liked the book...you won't hesitate to buy the video of the original Broadway cast and the CD or cassette! Having all 3 mentioned items and watching, listening, and reading over and over still isn't enough! You will love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for any lover of this show..., May 3, 2004
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
I cannot mention how much I loved this book. I recently finished a production of this show and we gave this book as a gift to the production crew members. After looking through it, most of the cast placed their own orders. Not only is it a new way to look at this great story, but there are also small pieces of insight into certain characters and situations that you do not get anywhere else.
Every illustration in this book is exquisite...I would frame any of them. My favorite is of the pulling out of Rapunel's hair by the Baker's Wife. The illustrations are just like the show, funny where they should be (Little Red in the Fur) and grim where they should be (Rapunzel's death).
This is a great and rarely seen collector's piece, as well as a great gift for anyone with a love of the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, February 16, 2002
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
This is a novelization of the smash Broadway hit. It follows along with the show perfectly and has amazing illustrations by Hudson Talbott. It was rereleased just in time for the Broadway revival which starts in April. This book is a must have for any Sondheim fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled! Doesn't include the score!, October 2, 2000
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
This is a wonderful musical, I love it, etc. etc. BUT contrary to "David"'s review, it DOES NOT INCLUDE THE SCORE! I ordered this item specifically because I needed the music (and rush-shipped it). Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plays Capture 6th Grade Interest, March 18, 1998
tatar@sover.net (N. Clarendon, VT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
This is a wonderful play to introduce students to music, theater, Sondheim, and fairy tales. In my class we read many of the original Grimm Fairy Tales (Dover Ed.) and the Perrault Fairy Tales (Dover) discussing the tales, but also color symbolism, different forms of magic, totems, threshold creatures, etc. Pretty heady stuff for sixth graders, but they LOVE it! Finally we read this wonderful interconnection of Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, Baker and His Wife, Little Red Riding Hood, and more while they are on a quest tale to get things to undo spells. Everyone takes parts and it is AWESOME!! The book is certainly not just for kids, there are very dark themes underlying all of the "fun". These can be discussed and its great to see kids find more to a story than its literal meaning. The VHS tape is then shown, which can be ordered here. This is a taping of the Broadway stage production and is mesmerising. Students think it's awesome. (I do suggest previewing, though. The wolf certainly is "untamed nature" and his coat stops just above what probably should be hidden in a mixed group of sixth graders. :) We just fast forward those three minutes.) This is a great unit. If you would like more info, please contact me via e-mail. This is wonderful stuff, though certainly not Disney!!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is an awesome show!, December 8, 2003
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
I was involved in a production of this show and I just have to say that so far, it's one of my favorite shows out of all the ones that I've been involved with. The music is enchanting and the story is one that we should all carry in our hearts:Everywhere we look, we are affected by or are affecting someone else by the choices that we make. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children Will Listen, July 16, 2006
Sabrina (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
I purchased this in conjunction with the DVD to use for a paper I wrote about "Into the Woods" and its commentary on children's literature and the very notion of childhood. I'd urge anyone to buy the book if they love the show and are interested in looking at it line by line to absorb even more clever subtlties. Great for any ITW fan who is looking to delve deeper into the show's magic and message.

5.0 out of 5 stars All of our favorite characters join in this magical tale!, September 1, 1998
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
What a wonderful way to invite fairytale characters everywhere to come together in a story of their lives! How else could Little Red Riding Hood encounter Jack and his beanstalk, or Cinderella and her prince? Who but James Lapine could bring together a long lost sister and father to a childless baker and his wife? Sondheim's music seamlessly flows in and out of this tale intemitten with tragedy and comedy. This is a wonderful story, and I look foward to performing on stage at my school. After reading and watching and listening to this interweaving story, I am more than willing to play anyone in the cast. (Though I'd most like to Cinderella!) A tale with many ups and downs, a few twists, and a happy ever after ending that leaves us wondering what else is in store for this cast of characters, it's a story for everyone if the slight sexual innuendoes and the anatomically correct wolf can be overlooked. A tale of spells and magic, and everything will turn out right in the end if they can just make it home before dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, May 14, 2007
A. Topps-Harjo (Playa Vista, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Into the Woods (Paperback)
The pictures were wonderful and it was a great adaptation of the Broadway show.

Into the Woods
Into the Woods by Stephen Sondheim (Paperback - January 1, 1993)
$14.95 $12.34