Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Into the Woods (TCG Edition)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on September 8, 2006
First off I wanted to comment on that I'm not under 13, I'm 18. But after reading "Discerning Viewer" said about "Into the Woods." I had to say something.

Sondheim used the original, unedited versions of the Fairy Tales. Case being that the stories were more for adults AND children. And there are universal morals. Don't smother your children (Rapunzel), Don't deviate from the path (Red Ridding Hood), Despite being unappreciated and condemned to serving others, as long as you are kind natured and a truly good person, your dreams will come true (Cinderella). And many argue that Jack and the Beanstalk's is moral is learning to survive and fend for one's self and family.

The second act asks the questions and consequences that the Fairy Tales never answer, like does marrying a handsome Prince really make someone happy? Is a Giant always wrong, and how do you deal with his angry widow? Is killing the wolf the best solution? And does it pay to be charming and not sincere? And two other powerful points of the musical, that are also morals are told; That no one is alone, that everyone depends/needs on someone to survive. And finally that what ever we do, children will SEE and HEAR it, so they LEARN from it, so be careful of our actions and what we tell (and stories) when we say "Listen to Me..."
33 comments|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 1999
I bought the score for a college arranging project and found it very easy to play on piano -- lots of blocked chords and simple keys (mostly three flats to two sharps, but one instance of five flats and one of six).
The reduction is well written, but it's definitely better to listen to the CD to get interpretive ideas than to try to play straight off the score.
Also, there are only seven songs in the book (and not Giants in the Sky...), so make sure the one you want is there or it's an expensive mistake.
on March 26, 2000
Into the Woods...How can you forget the name and all of its characters if you've seen it before, and if you have not, then it includes such timeless fairy tale names as: Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack (of Beanstalk fame), Little Red Riding Hood, and many others. James Lapine's brilliant script and Stephen Sondheim's astounding score are all in this book! Don't miss out on reading this fantastic book with your kids or for pleasure! This book is great for pleasure reading or if you are looking for an amazing musical to put on. Once you start reading this book, you won't be able to put it down! And if you liked the book...you won't hesitate to buy the video of the original Broadway cast and the CD or cassette! Having all 3 mentioned items and watching, listening, and reading over and over still isn't enough! You will love it too.
on May 3, 2004
I cannot mention how much I loved this book. I recently finished a production of this show and we gave this book as a gift to the production crew members. After looking through it, most of the cast placed their own orders. Not only is it a new way to look at this great story, but there are also small pieces of insight into certain characters and situations that you do not get anywhere else.
Every illustration in this book is exquisite...I would frame any of them. My favorite is of the pulling out of Rapunel's hair by the Baker's Wife. The illustrations are just like the show, funny where they should be (Little Red in the Fur) and grim where they should be (Rapunzel's death).
This is a great and rarely seen collector's piece, as well as a great gift for anyone with a love of the show.
on February 16, 2002
This is a novelization of the smash Broadway hit. It follows along with the show perfectly and has amazing illustrations by Hudson Talbott. It was rereleased just in time for the Broadway revival which starts in April. This book is a must have for any Sondheim fan.
on March 18, 1998
This is a wonderful play to introduce students to music, theater, Sondheim, and fairy tales. In my class we read many of the original Grimm Fairy Tales (Dover Ed.) and the Perrault Fairy Tales (Dover) discussing the tales, but also color symbolism, different forms of magic, totems, threshold creatures, etc. Pretty heady stuff for sixth graders, but they LOVE it! Finally we read this wonderful interconnection of Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, Baker and His Wife, Little Red Riding Hood, and more while they are on a quest tale to get things to undo spells. Everyone takes parts and it is AWESOME!! The book is certainly not just for kids, there are very dark themes underlying all of the "fun". These can be discussed and its great to see kids find more to a story than its literal meaning. The VHS tape is then shown, which can be ordered here. This is a taping of the Broadway stage production and is mesmerising. Students think it's awesome. (I do suggest previewing, though. The wolf certainly is "untamed nature" and his coat stops just above what probably should be hidden in a mixed group of sixth graders. :) We just fast forward those three minutes.) This is a great unit. If you would like more info, please contact me via e-mail. This is wonderful stuff, though certainly not Disney!!
on March 31, 2013
I am actually using this as a text for adult ESL students. I teach an advance transitional academic English class for adults. They are reading the various parts aloud and listening to the musical parts as intermixed and they are loving it. It's caused them to recall childhood stories from their own culture and some are similar to those used in ITW. The music provides a great bridge for comprehension since each song is in itself a condensed story. We completed Act I last week and the watched that segment before Easter holiday. They were enthralled and the bursts of laughter really made me understand how deeply this art form goes regardless of your country of origin. Thank you Stephen. Thank you James. Sharing it with my beloved students brings back that magical Friday night long ago when I sat in the Martin Beck theatre and was enraptured for the very first time. Cheers!
on July 11, 2013
I remember having this book when i was little and LOOVED the illustrations. It is a very long story though, so if you have very little kids they probably will not last through a full reading (as i fully remember happening with me). The story is based off of a 1980's Broadway musical that I recently found out they're turning into a movie. I wanted to get this book before the movie came out and was scared the prices would go up exponentially and they'd re-do it with images from the movie and so I ordered this ASAP. Very happy.
on December 8, 2003
I was involved in a production of this show and I just have to say that so far, it's one of my favorite shows out of all the ones that I've been involved with. The music is enchanting and the story is one that we should all carry in our hearts:Everywhere we look, we are affected by or are affecting someone else by the choices that we make. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the show.
on September 6, 2012
A friend made me aware of this book while we were in a production of "Into The Woods" this summer. Anyone who is acquainted with this musical will thoroughly enjoy this book as much as I did. The text is a wonderful version of the libretto and the illustrations are grand! In fact, I will be giving copies as Christmas gifts this year. Thank you and WOW!