5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introductory Text
Published on October 5, 2007 by T. Dahlstrom

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Published on May 5, 2012 by Matthew Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introductory Text, October 5, 2007
If you are interested in the broad spectrum of public administration, this is a great book to start with. It covers what public administration is, politics and public policy, government management and reinvention, intergovernmental relations, ethics, org theory and OB, leadership, finance and HR, and program evaluation, among others. It also has case studies and review questions for each chapter and other helful resources. Yet, probably the best thing is that it is written in a very readable way. This text would be good for Bachelors or Masters students, especially with its key concepts, bibliography, recommended books and related websites. I enjoyed it in a Masters class,and can recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent undergrad text, January 3, 2009
This review is from: Introducing Public Administration (6th Edition) (Hardcover)
I've taught an undergrad course in Public Administration four times, and have used the Shafritz book every time. It is an excellent introduction for undergrads because it so well written and easy to read. The stories are useful, the illustrations helpful. It covers a broad range of topics, both theoretical and practical.

I highly recommend the book to anyone teaching a course in public administration, though it's not just for casual reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, May 5, 2012
Matthew Case (Springfield, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This book was terrible. In some places it is well-written and interesting but very rarely does it provide insight into what public administrators actually do. It seems the authors were more interesting in presenting the history of public administration and therefore the title, "History of Public Administration" might have been more apt. Also, the text is going into 8th edition this year and as such I am entitled to zero dollars back on my "investment". What a scam! The college professors who routinely use textbooks such as this one ought to consider the ethical ramifications of doing so as they are charging their students in excess of one hundred dollars to read dreck and then planning a course alongside inferior material.

Simply put, there are many other textbooks out there that better describe what public administration is and how it differs from business administration, nonprofit administration, etc. However, if I were teaching a course on public administration I doubt I'd use a textbook at all, preferring to use historical documents and journal articles. This sort of "learning" needs to stop if MPA/MPP programs are to gain traction.

As to the actual text of the book, there's a lot of bloviating and meandering text that doesn't really make for interesting reading; its the sort of reading you'd find in say, a [badly written] blog. I could go into more detail but I won't, I will say though that I would never use this textbook as a teaching tool in my own classroom.

2.0 out of 5 stars boring read, January 27, 2012
This book is not what I anticipated, I bought it for a class and the author seems to be very critical of government and writes in a condescending tone- not that this particularly bothers me, however. I'm only two chapters in but like most textbooks I've encountered, it's extremely boring and I don't feel like I'd be missing out on anything if my professor had chosen another text.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST Text Book on the Market!!!, December 5, 2010
This is by far the WORST text book I have encountered in 16 years of schooling. It is so disjointed, poorly written, and redundant that it is, at times, completely unintelligible. Professors, please do not assign this book to your students. Students, don't bother with this book. It is a waste of your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars All inclusive, March 24, 2007
Shaun M. Hughes (Sacramento, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This book has it all. Great stories, great information, and a great layout. Good for grad school and undergrads the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intro Public Admin, September 30, 2008
Good introductory info. Love the dated summary of events at the very beginning of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting & Clear, April 7, 2010
I have enjoyed my govt class because of this book. Interesting and very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy to make, February 20, 2014
Good knowledge for public admin majors. Takes conservative perspectives on public programs. Reviews multiple policies, challenges in box thinking, and has annotations for many other reads.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't use this company again for your books!, December 10, 2013
There were at least 3 large stickers on the top covering the cover. I like seeing the cover. The edges looked rough. There were more stickers on the back. All of the stickers were telling me to mail it back by a certain time period.
The book Communicating for Results looked like a new book. Void of any stickers. I'd like to order from that company again. Could you tell me who I ordered that one from, please.

Introducing Public Administration (6th Edition)
Introducing Public Administration (6th Edition) by Jay M. Shafritz (Hardcover - March 22, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01