"This is an up-to-date, well-written, first-year undergraduate textbook ... .Many people will enjoy reading it." (The Observatory Magazine, August 2009)
"A very well thought-out book that lucidly covers a comprehensive range of topics in an attractive format ... .Bang up-to-date, and all cut up into convenient, self-contained sections that can be read in a dip-in, dip-out sort of way." (Astronomy Now, January 2009)
From the Back Cover
The Chapters are Organised as Follows:
- Astronomy, an observational science
- Our Solar System I - the Sun
- Our Solar System II - the Planets
- Extra-solar Planets
- Observing the Universe
- The Properties of Stars
- Stellar Evolution - the life and death of stars
- Galaxies and the Large Scale Structure of the Universe
- Cosmology - the origin and evolution of the universe
Every concept is accompanied by worked examples including problems at the end of each chapters. Complex mathematics are not required to use this book.
This highly illustrated textbook, including numerous colour images, though primarily written for undergraduates, will also be of interest to amateur astronomers and students studying astronomy in senior school.