4.0 out of 5 stars Book was useful then, and is still useful now...
I'd have to admit as an actual optics major, this book served my purposes very well. There really is no way way you can go through introductory optics in 1 semester, which is how all the physics departments do it - it doesn't do the subject justice.

My favorite chapters from the book are as follows:

-Theory Multilayer Thin Film

-Matrix...
Published on May 16, 2007 by nishant patel

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible book to actually learn from
Published 1 month ago by Sir Fenway Bearrington

4.0 out of 5 stars Book was useful then, and is still useful now..., May 16, 2007
nishant patel (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews

My favorite chapters from the book are as follows:

-Theory Multilayer Thin Film

-Matrix Treatment of Polarization

-Production of Polarized Light

-The 3 chapters dedicated to diffraction

-Fresnel Equations

These are all chapters that don't require Maxwell's Equations at all, even if you knew them. The optical properties of material chapters deals with Maxwell's Equations more or less for the entire chapter.

The laser and subsequent chapters also give you a VERY BASIC flavor of expect in more specialized books.

If I had to recommend a book for actually learning the material and that has worked out problems, this would be the one. Born and Wolf is great, but only as a reference, and still there are flaws in that book as well. Jenkins and White or Schaum's Outline for Optics might be useful supplements, as I used them from time to time. Hecht is not a good book to learn out of, but a good way to learn what optics is all about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, September 20, 2013
Steve Spyker (Knightstown, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
I'm taking an upper level undergraduate optics course and the professor required this book. He's a nice guy, and very knowledgeable, but I find his lectures impossible to follow. I would be totally lost if not for this book. Hey, this is hard stuff guys! Don't expect a book to make it easy. So far I have none of the complaints typical of other reviewers. Obviously I'm learning. If I knew the subject better perhaps I'd be more critical, but so far I'm finding the explanations in this book very thorough and understandable. The fact that I sometimes have to read them 2,3, or 20 times before they make sense to me I rightly attribute to my own ignorance, not some failing of the author. Of course I'm looking for an in-depth understanding of optics, not some quick tell-me-what-I-need-for-the-test primmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, August 27, 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
It was required for my Optics class, It was very helpful and well written; the information was well laid out and easy to find. Most, if not all, topics are explained with their real-world applications in mind, including how the information can be used with specific optical instruments. Overall, I was very pleased with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, clear, November 8, 2013
J. Herzog (South Bend, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
I am a professor teaching a junior-level Optics course and I highly recommend this text. It is well written and clear.

Other professors who have used this book and others texts have told me that students prefer this text.

Note that one of the reviewer here that gave the book 1-star did so because the pages were made of poor quality. This same reviewer, mentions that the content is good, so unfortunately, the review of the content of the book are skewed negatively. I actually have two copies of this book, and one had better quality pages than the other. Some of my pages have fallen out, so I an not giving it 5-stars. Also I have found a few typos. My copy is not a hardback, so try to get this if you can, the quality of the pages might be better in that case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible book to actually learn from, January 14, 2015
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
Horrible book to actually learn from. You would expect an introductory book to be concise, and explain things clearly. Instead, simple concepts that can be explained in one sentence take whole paragraphs, usually in a roundabout fashion. Examples and equations are helpful enough, though. However, the editor must have forgotten to put diagrams on the same page they are referenced on. It seems like the book is constantly talking about a figure that is one or two pages away. I have not finished using the book, so I'll try to update this when my class finishes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Textbook w/ Wonderful Diagrams, January 14, 2015
C. Brown (Huntsville, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
This text is required for our two introductory optics classes, Geometrical Optics and Physical Optics. My classmates and I have found the text to be excellent - it explains things very thoroughly and has detailed diagrams. There are tons of exercises at the end of each chapter that really help with understanding and application. I do wish that it had more example problems worked within the text, but that doesn't diminish the value of the book and is more of a personal preference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, December 9, 2014
Excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... classes and I have to admit he is an amazing professor who is able to make complex ideas seem ..., August 22, 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
I have had one of the authors for several undergraduate classes and I have to admit he is an amazing professor who is able to make complex ideas seem simple. His homework is a beast with the respect he is asking you to apply what's been given to you. He is asking you to think and that is the best training for being a professional physicist on the job. You become the solutions manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, October 22, 2014
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
Excellent book! covers most essential material. Challenging but doable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommend if you can avoid it, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
I used this text book in an Optics course, and my classmates and I found that the book was hard to follow. I would not recommend this book to anyone, unless you are already well educated in optics and light, and just need a refresher. I found many things are explained poorly, and in long unclear rants. Most of us in my class started using are book from general physics 2 (Serway physics for scientist and engineers) which and several chapters on optics at the end, and found it to contain a significant fraction of the information in the first 15 chapters of this book, but explained much more clearly and precisely. In summary the book does contain a lot of good information if you can follow how it is presented.

Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition)
Introduction to Optics (3rd Edition) by Leno S. Pedrotti (Paperback - April 17, 2006)
$196.40 $176.56