4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Kenneth Perlstein - Java Programming
Published on November 17, 2010 by Robert Kenneth Perlstein

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of room for improvement
Published on March 26, 2011 by Jeffrey K. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of room for improvement, March 26, 2011
This review is from: An Introduction to Java Programming and Object-Oriented Application Development (Paperback)
I'm about halfway through this book, and I am not impressed. I don't feel that the author follows good programming practices. Chapter 5 is a particular sore point. The examples in this chapter, which is the chapter on creating methods, show most of the work performed in the "main" function and only a few small details performed in subordinate methods. This is absolutely not the way programs should be designed. Even worse, some of the examples and some of the exercises use a class named NumberFormat. NumberFormat is an abstract base class that isn't intended to be directly used in applications, and his examples won't even compile with my version of Java because it won't allow the use of abstract base classes!

The example MusicWorldApp8 in chapter 8, with a main method that rambles on for 4 pages and over 30 local variables, is a terrible example of programming style. I don't know if the author was just being lazy or if he really doesn't know how to properly design programs.

I also feel that the book is overly wordy. There are more concise ways of explaining topics, so that reading the book wouldn't be so tedious.

4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Kenneth Perlstein - Java Programming, November 17, 2010
This book provides a clear and concise description of important concepts about programming in general and the Java programming language. I have found it a great tool to get me started. I only wish it had better descriptions of the more complicated concepts, more charts that had important methods (rather than referring you to Oracles API), and clarified which classes and methods would actual be useful in an actual programming setting versus as simple learning tools.

Great way to learn the language though.

Robert Kenneth Perlstein

4.0 out of 5 stars thorough introduction to java, June 23, 2009
The text gives a thorough introduction to Java. Giving both the graphics and the numerical features. No prior knowledge of object oriented programming is assumed by the reader.

Hopefully you should find Java to be elegant, if you already know another language. The discourse goes into the object oriented nature of the classes. To be sure, if you know C, then having "all classes all the time" can initially seem overweight or overly complex. But the point is that Java, as an OO language, can let you code far more difficult and lengthy programs than a procedural language like C.

At the graphics level, the book lets you rapidly go into making simple programs that put up windows with various types of widgets. Straightforward. Though the layout managers in standard java are a little primitive. But at the level of treatment in the book, it may be hard to see this.

2.0 out of 5 stars There's a special place in hell for this book., March 25, 2013
Had to purchase this book on short notice because of a last minute change (on the school's part) of my professor and thus, textbook. I was unable to return my copy of Murach's Java Programming, because I had purchased it months in advance, and was hoping this textbook would prove...'okay'? Well, it really isn't. The diagrams provide little insight on how the programs actually function, instead regurgitating source code in another format. Source code isn't documented in-line, and there are no online sources that I have been able to find. I had been able to get by with my copy of Head First Java (an example of diagrams used well) until the book discusses parallel arrays, a concept not even mentioned in Head First. From what I've been able to find, on Stack Overflow and elsewhere, is that these are an example of a bad programming practice. Unfortunately, I have been trying to stay as far away from the book as possible, but some things are unavoidable.

An Introduction to Java Programming and Object-Oriented Application Development
An Introduction to Java Programming and Object-Oriented Application Development by Richard A. Johnson (Paperback - February 23, 2006)
$172.95 $90.67