5.0 out of 5 stars great refresher
Published on December 20, 2002 by HT

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific!
I made an effort to use this text for undergraduate pchem... our professor was trying it out (Berkeley.) I abandoned the book for lack of explanation and depth, it more read as a book of equations, but sometimes the derivations were not even clear.

Published on January 25, 2008 by chemist01

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific!, January 25, 2008
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry (Paperback)

I wish I could go into further detail; alas I sold it (for way less, the binding was horrific and began to fall apart within mere weeks!) Suffice it to say, IMO you should save your money!

fwiw, I recommend the Atkins & Friedman text Molecular Quantum Mechanics along with Griffith's Quantum Mechanics. Much more helpful books that allowed me to get an above average grade in the class.

hth

5.0 out of 5 stars great refresher, December 20, 2002
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry (Paperback)
I don't know why more people don't use this book or the authors' more advanced version, "Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry", but I think they are both fantastic. This book in particular is very clearly written with explicit examples and and relevant end-of-chapter exercises...with detailed solutions to the odds (very rare)! It focuses more on on many-electron problems and methods, which is essential for understanding chemical problems. If your an undrgraduate chemistry major or a beginning graduate student in chemistry who needs a refresher before taking a more advanced class, you would be well served by this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magazine on Quantum Mechanics, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry (Paperback)
I thought this book read and functioned somewhat like a magazine on Quantum Mechanics. Often the gritty details and sometimes even the elegant parts were glossed over, or entirely left out. The book was easy to read on a surface level, but sometimes difficult to extract meaningful knowledge form. I found myself working through a variety of other textbooks to help me understand what Ratner and Schatz left out.

On the other hand the problems from the text are very good, they are difficult but illustrative of some of the finer points of concepts.

All in all its a nice book to have around but it is most certainly not my go-to choice for QM.

3.0 out of 5 stars meh, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Introduction to Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry (Paperback)
buy it if it's required for class, but it is difficult to find what you're looking for, and not so easy/fun to read. It serves, but maybe not as well as some other book could.

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics in Chemistry by Mark A. Ratner (Paperback - May 18, 2000)
$198.40 $185.69